Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaying a bitch...

Options
  • 13-11-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I tried finding a thread on this but was unsuccessful...

My question is regarding gettin my dog (boxer) spayed. I'm nearly sure that my vet told me that I'd have to wait untill she'd had her first heat however, I was in a vets in the north today (live on the border) and I picked up a leaflet on neutering. In this leaflet it said that there was no need for a bitch to have a heat or one litter before getting spayed and that a vet will do it from 4 months of age.

I'm planning on getting Bailey spayed but have been waiting for her first heat like my vet told me. Bailey is 8 months old by the way.

Could anyone enlighten me as to the best thing to do? I'm utterly confused at the conflicting 'advice'...

Thanks =]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

after 6 months is better and it can be before or after its first heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

no u dont have to wait till first heat, better to get them done before, usually around 6 months. If i was u i would get her done now before she goes into heat as that way u can make sure she doesnt get preg. also if u get done before she goes in heat u cut her chances of i think its mammory cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Was hoping for them answers! I'm ringing the vet tomorrow for an appointment!!!

Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Many vets say that they should have their first heat cycle first as it makes a vets job easier (reproductive organs more developed) but it is not at all necessary, I will be getting my bitch done at 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I think I'll bring her to the North... it's WAY cheaper than bringin her to my usual vet... don't know why I didn't do it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have had dogs and cats spayed/neutered before at 6 months and some older and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to their behaviour if done after a heat despite what some people say in my book.

I always spay at 6 months unless the animal happens to be older than that when I get them then they are spayed straigth away provided they are not in the middle of their heat obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have found the "wait until after the first heat" attitude to be more prevalent among rural vets, for some reason. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, spaying vastly reduces the risks of a bitch developing mammarian cancer, but the protective effect is reduced the later she is spayed.

Spayed before first oestrus - 0.05% risk of mammary tumour

Spayed after first oestrus - 8% risk of mammary tumour

Spayed after second oestrus - 26% risk of mammary tumour

Spayed after third or subsequent oestrus - no preventive effect

There is an increased risk of urinary incontinence in spayed females, but it's not commonplace, is easily treatable in most cases where it does occur, and all things considered, the benefits still far outweigh the risks, imo.

Advertisement