Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were a Dublin politician, what would you do to improve the city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

get the underground up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Irishtown to Pearse Street could do with more Spars - there's only one every few metres at the moment. I'd get cracking on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I would move all the junkies and skangers out of the city centre
    Employ the citizen as chief of police
    Connect the luas at rialto to the luas line in st stephens green
    Get tough on protestors, with blanket spraying of cs gas and baton charges
    Ban GAA matches
    Have more police on the streets at chucking out time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Do what they do in spain get them huge power hoses they have(on another note there is a job for the long term dont want to work dolers) I just killed to threads with on stone :D,and wash down the streets every morning before people come out to work.And clean out the liffey :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭WeWillBeReborn

Get rid of The Spire

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Get rid of The Spire

/thread

can we ram it up ryan tubridys arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭WeWillBeReborn

I don't think The Spire is long enough to penetrate the amount of s**t he's accumulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Clean the ****ing streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Resign!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

we need to allocate a section of the city for the junkies. It's outrageous how many zombie-like junkies hang around the northside luas line. I think they're pretty harmless but it just ain't nice to look at. Also better bike lanes, the bike lane situation is really lame in certain parts of the city. And a metro to be built ASAP. And free hand-jobs for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I'm torn between cleaning up the junkies and squeegee beggars ... or shoving the Spire up Ryan Tubridy's hole.

I think it has to be the Spire ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

trout wrote: »
    I'm torn between cleaning up the junkies and squeegee beggars ... or shoving the Spire up Ryan Tubridy's hole.

I think it has to be the Spire ...

How about we let the junkies shove the spire up Tubridys hole? That keeps everyone happy! :)

Tubridy is in lots of pain and the junkies get to play with a giant dirty needle! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

creaty a new party, that has no affiliation to any of the current parties.

grant incentives to business people who want to open up stores that arnt tied to a multi national franchise and or chain store or stores that want to move away from them.

grant incentives to grocery stroes that dedicate a majoirty portion of their stock to organic products.

make multi national supermarkets invest more to local communities and councils.

make the cycle lanes bigger then the bus lanes, in the city centre.

keep pusing for an underground rail system that connects the o connell street to bray, ballyboden, rathcoole, celbridge, maynooth, dunboyne, ashbourne, swords and malahide.

stagger closing times of venues. allow nightclubs to play music later but not serve alcohol. get rid of taxi ranks.

encourage local vegtable patches, fund small community groups who volunteer to clean up eyesores of their local areas.

somehow reclaim o'connell street back from multi mcdonalds and burger king. one store each is too much imo. too much for o connell street.

bring back those lights that had a few years ago on top of the buildings that shone high into the sky. limit them to saturday nights and implement the spire somehow into the light show. for the tourists...

as you can see, im quite frustrated by dublin in general...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Implement some of the stuff suggested in the report linked in the first part of my sig. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Move Croker down the bog to save the culchies from a long journey every weekend, and us from having to put up with the traffic and butch looking burds with cowboy hats...

stagger closing times of venues. allow nightclubs to play music later but not serve alcohol.

I would go further to insist that after the bar has closed that Minerals, tea, coffee and food be served in all venues and allow people leave as the wish.

Was there a rule that made nightclubs serve free food during the 1980/1990s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Phantastic Fox

Set up Hamsterdam (like in The Wire) and move all the masses of smack heads there.

Power-hose the puke off the streets every morning.

That's about it really. What's with all the spire hatred?

Set up Hamsterdam (like in The Wire) and move all the masses of smack heads there.

Power-hose the puke off the streets every morning.

That's about it really. What's with all the spire hatred?

It is called the Boardwalk.

The spire is just a stupid monument of Celtic Tiger celebration, lots of hype and overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Elmo wrote: »
    Was there a rule that made nightclubs serve free
    food during the 1980/1990s?

It was a condition in order to get certain types of late licenses.
    It was only in certain places.

Remember it being in place around 96/97.
    I think the legislation was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

- Remove the junkies
    - Move social housing out of the city centre
    - Harsher sentences on criminals - make prison a lot harder on them (not specifically Dublin but would help the city)
    - Some sort of recognisable skyline would be nice
    - Expand the new Dublin Bikes scheme
    - Do NOT built that rip-off London eye observation wheel
    - Build more high streets in new suburbs rather than a load of housing estates and a shopping centre

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

MONORAIL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭PYRO#1

Nuke the place and start again:D

High rise baby:cool:

- Move social housing out of the city centre

What are people's opinions on this? If they get everything for free why should they have the luxury of being in prime real estate areas?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this? If they get everything for free why should they have the luxury of being in prime real estate areas?

Yeah they are in prime real estate areas :rolleyes: We shouldn't run a country on property speculation, surely we have learned that at this stage. Perhaps Hospitals and Schools should also be moved out of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭PYRO#1

I agree. Its one of the biggest problems with dublin. The city is too spread out, its planned sooooooooo badly. Its a classic 'how not to' city!:mad:
    It would be a good idea to demolish the old housing and build modern apartments and offices and retail. Upgrade services. Pop in a transport network and train people how to manage it( cause the fools there at the moment can't).

Its win win. Less traffic, less pollution, create jobs, improves and increases efficiency of services and distribution, improves peoples quality of life, attracts tourism.......etc

Dublin needs to stop expanding laterally and go vertical and enter the 21th century:)

Yeah they are in prime real estate areas :rolleyes: We shouldn't run a country on property speculation, surely we have learned that at this stage. Perhaps Hospitals and Schools should also be moved out of the city.

They are prime real estate, close to the city centre is always prime real estate. The reason it's not valued so much now is because of the residents there.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    They are prime real estate, close to the city centre is always prime real estate. The reason it's not valued so much now is because of the residents there.

I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't prime real estate because of the residents but because of the down turn in the economy.

It is silly to speculate on property, prob one of the reason some areas of the city are prime real estate is due to the "problematic" house estates in those areas. Ballymun wasn't such a good idea when the asked people to move out of Prime Real Estate during the 1960s now was it.

People have to live somewhere, why should we force people to move just because we see the value in their homes? We would have to put those people somewhere else which would cause just as many problems.

• Advertisement

People have to live somewhere, why should we force people to move just because we see the value in their homes? We would have to put those people somewhere else which would cause just as many problems.

Yes but at least all the hard working people in the city centre and tourists etc wouldn't have to be surrounded by junkies and pyjamas all day every day

Advertisement