Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoppers respond strongly to Currys UK VAT prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm fairly sure any retailer would give you more than that in a discount if you ask, plus DSG's customer service is atrocious so I wouldn't shop there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Absurdum wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure any retailer would give you more than that in a discount if you ask, plus DSG's customer service is atrocious so I wouldn't shop there anyway.

I asked PC World for a discount on a laptop, they said no chance.
    Only reason I wanted the damn laptop from them and not komplett or pixmania was because I wanted to take it on 5 months finance.
    Turns out they don't do finance any more either:D
    **** 'em, let 'em rot.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That article is dated 11 May, and states the promotion was only for the month of May.

DSG's (Currys and PC World) prices are higher in Ireland than in the UK irrespective of VAT. The difference is even higher now because sterling has weakened so much in the past few months

The UK VAT goes back up to 17.5% on 1 January (and possibly higher, depending on what the UK Pre Budget Report delivers on 9 December), which will help narrow the difference, but prices in Ireland will remain much higher than those in the UK.

EDIT
    I see Curry's are currently running TV adverts about matching the UK VAT rate - they are not, though, indicating an overall price match, and my above comments remain

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

shqipshume wrote: »
    Currys in Ireland has said that the introduction of products priced at the UK VAT rate of 15pc resulted in the company experiencing double-digit sales in the past fortnight.
    What? Between 10 and 99 items sold in a fortnight?

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I asked PC World for a discount on a laptop, they said no chance.
    Only reason I wanted the damn laptop from them and not komplett or pixmania was because I wanted to take it on 5 months finance.
    Turns out they don't do finance any more either:D
    **** 'em, let 'em rot.

iirc the interest rates on their finance was in the region of 29%!!!

even an expensive credit card is half that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

iirc the interest rates on their finance was in the region of 29%!!!

even an expensive credit card is half that

Only if you don't pay it off within the time specified.
    I bought one for the GF Xmas 2007 and it cost me about €150 over a €1000, which is very fair considering I spread the cost out over a year.
    (but it was a HP Pavillion DV9100 which ate itself as all of the models are doing:( )

The most important thing to me was to not impact my cash flow while my GF is out of work.
    Anyway, it was just as well because I found an old pc I had from college in the attic at my parents house, gave it a tune up and it does the job grand for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

It's a gimic. You can be guaranteed that this price reduction is being carefully balanced and made up elsewhere.

Instead of saying "5.34% reduction on all items" it is a "new, UK VAT rate" trying to give the customer the sense that they are getting NI value down south. Just like the change for good scam by Tesco it's not as good as it seems.

Whilst I commend retailers being in competition with each other if we did reduce the VAT in Ireland to 15% it's hard to see what real level of increase in spending would come from Irish consumers who are seriously fearful of December's budget and losing their jobs. VAT revenues foregone may actually do more harm than good inwhat I would expect to be a brief and low rise in consumer expenditure due to a lower VAT rate.

Just my 2 cents, it would be nice to be seriously proved wrong here though, sick of still paying Celtic Tiger prices in a lot of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Do you live in Ireland?!?!?!:eek: I assume not since you made this outlandish statement, I ask nearly every store for a discount, the reactions go from "haha, id love to but my boss wont let me" to "its about time you leave" to "did you get one anywhere else?". Irish stores will need to be destroyed before they can be rebuilt.

omahaid wrote: »
    Do you live in Ireland?!?!?!:eek: I assume not since you made this outlandish statement, I ask nearly every store for a discount, the reactions go from "haha, id love to but my boss wont let me" to "its about time you leave" to "did you get one anywhere else?". Irish stores will need to be destroyed before they can be rebuilt.

Yes I live in Ireland. Maybe you need to be more persistent when asking. Ask them to get their boss if that's their response! If that fails, walk away, plenty of other stores around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Places like Power City and DID Electrical will always give discounts omahaid, don't see why Currys wouldn't

• Advertisement

Yes I live in Ireland. Maybe you need to be more persistent when asking. Ask them to get their boss if that's their response! If that fails, walk away, plenty of other stores around.

What stage of persistence is required? Why should I be persistent? Why cant they offer decent prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

plus DSG's customer service is atrocious so I wouldn't shop there anyway.

+1

They do not give a toss once they have your money, from experience

jdivision wrote: »
    Places like Power City and DID Electrical will always give discounts omahaid, don't see why Currys wouldn't

Is it just curry's? Or should i negotiate elsewhere? Nah, Ill just shop up north thank you very much :cool:

What stage of persistence is required?

Use your own judgement.
    Why should I be persistent?

You want discount...they want your money....try to find a meeting point.
    Why cant they offer decent prices?

They don't really have to because they've been getting away with high prices for years. Maybe some persistent customers would change that :P

You want discount...they want your money....try to find a meeting point.

I dont really want a discount as I can get the same item for (price - (discount + loads more)) up north. So I have no incentive to haggle.

I dont really want a discount as I can get the same item for (price - (discount + loads more)) up north. So I have no incentive to haggle.

If you don't haggle then how on earth do you know what price you could get the item for??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

Am heading to the north this week to get the benefit of better prices, as i have done over 4 times in the past year and a half. this time i am buying a buggy and accessories from a small belfast retailer for a total of £400 (€450 at time of purchase).
    I am also getting a tv, camera and wii as xmas presents and stand to save over €250 on these alone.

On haggling, I contacted Currys to get details of the UK vat Range and was told to go online. Online the irish site directs you to the uk one which gives prices for the UK only. I have tried to work things out many ways but the so-called offer never equates the irish price with one in the uk.

I even called into one of their stores and tried to haggle, stating that i do want to spend my money in ireland so it would be in his best interest to do some kind of deal at least. The response was fairly cold... 'the money goes to the UK anyway'

enough said i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm no fan of Currys/PC World but to be fair, I got my daughter's new iPod Nano cheaper in Currys than anywhere else. OK so I only saved €7 but thats €7 cheaper than any other place I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lobber wrote: »
    Am heading to the north this week to get the benefit of better prices, as i have done over 4 times in the past year and a half. this time i am buying a buggy and accessories from a small belfast retailer for a total of £400 (€450 at time of purchase).
    I am also getting a tv, camera and wii as xmas presents and stand to save over €250 on these alone.

On haggling, I contacted Currys to get details of the UK vat Range and was told to go online. Online the irish site directs you to the uk one which gives prices for the UK only. I have tried to work things out many ways but the so-called offer never equates the irish price with one in the uk.

I even called into one of their stores and tried to haggle, stating that i do want to spend my money in ireland so it would be in his best interest to do some kind of deal at least. The response was fairly cold... 'the money goes to the UK anyway'

enough said i reckon
    A lot of irish retailers would rather you p**s off than give you a discount, i offerd to buy a TV in the Sony Centre in Athlone ~a year ago( i was doing it on behalf of a mate ), it was 1250euro including delivery online from pixmania and just over 1600euro in the Sony Centre but that included a 'free blu ray player", i said i didnt want a blu ray player as i had one and asked that the price be reduced, the guy said no and offered a camera instead.
    Again i told him i dont need a camera or a blu ray player or anything else, just a discount, he said no, wont sell it cheaper and happily watched me walk away.

Theyre closed now :)

Advertisement