Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best world 11 in football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ibrahimovic is the most overrated football player of all time

Before the chap came to Barca I had my doubts although admittedly I didnt see a huge amount of him as the likes of Bubs101. But since he came to Barca I have had the chance to watch him every game and the guy is truly class and I aint just making that up. He is Barca's stand out player so far this term. He is what Berbatov should be. Bubs101 had it spot on and we salute you fine sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Casillas
    Maicon-Carvalho-Chiellini-Lahm

Gerrard -Alonso-Iniesta

Torres- Drogba- Milito

Guaranteed to bag loadsa goals, very attacking world 11.
    hence alonso to break up play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

redout wrote: »
    Before the chap came to Barca I had my doubts although admittedly I didnt see a huge amount of him as the likes of Bubs101. But since he came to Barca I have had the chance to watch him every game and the guy is truly class and I aint just making that up. He is Barca's stand out player so far this term. He is what Berbatov should be. Bubs101 had it spot on and we salute you fine sir!

Their are two types of people on this board. Those who watched him in Serie A or have seen his first ten or so games with Barca and think he's the total package and those who judge him on two games against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

nuxxx wrote: »
    i was thinking about this alot over the past week but my team is premiership only, not world football

Given
    Johnson--Vidic
    Terry
    A.Cole
    Essien

Gerrard
    Fabregas

Rooney

Torres
    Drogba

Given - Well it was either Reina or Given for me, but i feel Given is slightly better
    A.Cole - Again either Evra or Cole, but i feel A.Cole has improved alot and is the better player at the moment

Other than that i think my teams picks itself, with a diamond midfield formation and two wingbacks
    Glad you picked Shay.
    zAbbo wrote: »
    Shay Given, lol

Any team without Gigi Buffon is null and void.

Probably the most stupid post I've ever seen. :D
    Trilla wrote: »

Given

Sagna
    Terry
    Vidic
    Evra

Essien

---Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Messi

Rooney
    Torres

Iniesta and Drogba just missed out!

Niceee.

--

I know I'll get hiunded for it, but I think Shay Given is the best keeper in the world. Seriously, I think he's as good as Buffon if not better and Casillas is good but nothing great yet.

Shay Given in an all round legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Doocey wrote: »
    Probably the most stupid post I've ever seen. :D

ironic you saying this about someone else's post, seen as you go on to say this...

Casillas is good but nothing great yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Meh, you're opinion became null and void in my eyes when you said Darren Fletcher is the best midfielder in the England. No point going into the details of the argument, it's been done hundreds of times on these boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would at this moment in time go for...

Given

Maicon
    Terry
    Vidic
    Evra---

Xavi
    Fabregas

----Ronaldo
    Messi

Torres
    Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If I were to pick my team based on this season's form it'd be something like this

Buffon

Maicon----Chiellini---Terry---Cole

Messi---Essien---Fabregas---Ronaldo

----Cassano

Ibra

Would have doubts whether Ronaldo and Cassano could work together but anybody who's seen Sampdoria this season must agree that Cassano in a 5 star team would be lovely stuff altogether and Cassano and Ibra interplay would be glorious

SlickRic wrote: »
    ironic you saying this about someone else's post, seen as you go on to say this...

I'm glad someone copped on. ;)
    Seriously though, I think Given is better than Casillas, Given has never had a good back four in front of him and even City's one is far from sturdy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Casillas

----Johnson----Terry
    Puyol
    Evra--

Mascherano

Messi---Gerrard---Ronaldo

Big Ron
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

G Breen
    G Breen---G Breen---G Breen---G Breen
    G Breen---G Breen---G Breen---G Breen
    G Breen---G Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

I'm glad someone copped on. ;)
    Seriously though, I think Given is better than Casillas, Given has never had a good back four in front of him and even City's one is far from sturdy!

ye and madrid have allways had a world class back 4:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Am reluctant to include C.Ronaldo in first 11 until he becomes a consistent team player.......Back to drawing board...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We are going to get alot of 'we only pick Given becasue he is Irish lark' but answer me this, no one would dispute that he has been excellent for 10 years or more, and when has he ever gotten a sniff at, even a menton (lets be realistic) in a euro player of the year, a euro team of the year, or even from a foreign coach or manager as one of the best? (Trap said it recently but you know, he is forced to watch him now).

My overall point being that I don;t think people outside of the UK and Ireland have a real clue how good he is to be quite frank.

We can say Buffon wins it every year but there are always dips in form etc.

Anyway, rant over and

Given

Sagna----Vidic
    Agger (when fit, bias here)
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Xavi
    Essien
    Iniesta

- Gerrard

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

noodler wrote: »
    My overall point being that I don;t think people outside of the UK and Ireland have a real clue how good he is to be quite frank.

Yeah he suffers because of his profile. If he was English he'd be their number one and I reckon such a position would have helped him land a place in a top four side.

Shame he hasn't made any tournament appearances since 2002. I recall after a pretty good showing for Poland at Euro 2008 how many people started raving about Artur Boruc being one of the world's best goalkeepers with talk of him going to Spain etc. Nowadays I'd wager if someone suggested Boruc as one of the world's best keepers it would be met with incredulity if not downright laughter. The importance of profile in debates like this can't be underestimated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Casillas
    Maicon-Carvalho-Agger (when fit, bit of biased but i love him)-Lahm

Ronaldo -Alonso-Iniesta

Torres- Drogba- Milito

Guaranteed to bag loadsa goals, very attacking world 11.
    hence alonso to break up play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

............................Scheimchel.....................................

Cafu..............Vidic.................Maldini.......,..........Evra

................................Keane......................................

Messi................Scholes.......Zidane.................Ronaldo

.................................Torres.......................................

Best midfield option I could pick from my years of watching football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Team Rooney would have a world class goalkeeper, which might also be the one weakness in the team, if he goes walkabout.

Indeed

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^ That was class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Buffon

Alves.........Carvahlo
    Nesta
    Adriano

Essien

Xavi
    Iniesta

Fabregas

Messi

Torres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

buffon

alves, vidic, puyol, evra.

xavi, fabregas, iniesta.

messi, ronaldo, torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't understand how anyone couldn't put Iniesta in there, I really don't.

For me,

Casillas
    --Maicon---Ferdinand---Vidic
    Evra--
    Essien
    Fabregas
    --Ronaldo
    Iniesta
    Messi--
    Torres

For me, that team would be utterly unstoppable.

I also struggled with Torres vs. Rooney. Not because Torres isn't better right now, because he is imo, but in terms of the balance of the attack, I think you might need somebody with some grit in there. But Iniesta, Messi and Ronaldo have to be picked. Realistically you can only have 4 attackers in there otherwise you're team will be unbalanced.

I also struggled with Essien vs. Mascherano. Not because I think Essien isn't a better all round player, but with that attacking a full backs, you might need somebody better defensively than Essien, which leaves only Mascherano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Casillas

Alves
    Ferdinand
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Hamsik
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Fabregas

Messi
    Ibrahimovic

marko91 wrote: »
    ye and madrid have allways had a world class back 4:rolleyes:

It's been a lot better than Newcastle's and City's anyway, that's for sure!

The likes of Jean Alain Boumsong, Titus Bramble.. :eek:

DSB wrote: »
    Casillas

Alves
    Ferdinand
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Hamsik
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Fabregas

Messi
    Ibrahimovic

3 at the back with two of them attacking, and Rio not the greatest inposing centre back in the world.

that team would get killed with all due respect.

probably about 9-4, but it would still get beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

I think its funny that people keep putting Ferdinand in their teams when clearly he can't play football at the moment. So is it because he can be world class rather than actually being able to play right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

It's been a lot better than Newcastle's and City's anyway, that's for sure!

The likes of Jean Alain Boumsong, Titus Bramble.. :eek:

How about Raul Bravo, Pavon, Walter Samuel for Madrid? three awesomely crap defenders. The idiotic three I call them.

Walter Samuel cost 18 million pounds, was on his way after one season. The others had to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sorry but rio & vidic as the top 2 CBs?

No - vidic maybe but no way is rio even close.

kaimera wrote: »
    but no way is rio even close.

he was.

not this season, no.

but he has been immense for close on 4/5 years now; one of the best.

and i can't stand the guy; comes across as arrogant as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kaimera wrote: »
    Sorry but rio & vidic as the top 2 CBs?

No - vidic maybe but no way is rio even close.

vidic/carvalho would be the best CB partership in the EPL, no doubt, closely followed by Rio/Terry.

Having said that, Vidic/Carvalho will never play together, but Rio/Vidic has won the CL and back to back titles, so are better.

A CB partnership needs one enforcer (Terry or Vidic) and one more capable with the ball at feet (Rio or Carvalho).

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote: »
    How about Raul Bravo, Pavon, Walter Samuel for Madrid? three awesomely crap defenders. The idiotic three I call them.

Walter Samuel cost 18 million pounds, was on his way after one season. The others had to stay.

Raul Bravo wasn't too bad at left back but was forced into being a CB cos of injuries and having no defenders there, Pavon was solid but was messed up by Perez comparing him to Hierro which was insane cos he was never going to be that good and Samuel was always good in Italy because he knew how to deal with attackers there but in spain he wasn't allowed to foul at every chance he got like in italy :P

3 at the back with two of them attacking, and Rio not the greatest inposing centre back in the world.

that team would get killed with all due respect.

probably about 9-4, but it would still get beat.

When have these things ever been about tactics?

Well people always keep an element of tactics in their selections by normally picking a team that has 2 CBs and usually a defensive midfielder of some sort, ie Mascherano or Essien

what stops you putting attackers at the back then?

sure just put the top 11 players in the last FIFA rankings in a team, put them in random positions, and see what happens.

there's zero skill or fun in that sort of team-picking.

what stops you putting attackers at the back then?

sure just put the top 11 players in the last FIFA rankings in a team, put them in random positions, and see what happens.

there's zero skill or fun in that sort of team-picking.

Typically, even with the majority of football pundits, they just put the players they think are the best in each position in the team, and then you have the typical football nerds coming in saying 'omgz that team would be hammered'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What is a "typical football nerd"?
    :)

Des wrote: »
    What is a "typical football nerd"?
    :)

Cmon, you can put the pieces together without me telling you, those kinda people who are convinced they're tactical geniuses, and have an irrelevant statistic to 'prove' anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    11 Dion Dublins ftw!
    Bitchiz don't know about my 11 Aaron Lennons. Well 12... It isn't fair to have only one Aaron Lennon in goal.

Cmon, you can put the pieces together without me telling you, those kinda people who are convinced they're tactical geniuses, and have an irrelevant statistic to 'prove' anything.

nothing to do with being a 'football nerd', or thinking i'm a 'tactical genius'. i'm nothing of the sort.

all great football teams have certain components, one of which is a solid defence, and another is someone who can break up play a bit in midfield.

that was all i was saying.

no need to take such offense to my observation of your team.

i'm sure it'd win everything. :)

• Advertisement

nothing to do with being a 'football nerd', or thinking i'm a 'tactical genius'. i'm nothing of the sort.

all great football teams have certain components, one of which is a solid defence, and another is someone who can break up play a bit in midfield.

that was all i was saying.

no need to take such offense to my observation of your team.

i'm sure it'd win everything. :)

Take a look at the thread title, it says best world 11, it doesn't mention best team. As an aside, if we were looking at the best team, half the players most people have in their teams wouldn't be in it, as they'd end up like Real Madrid and just be a million egos that won't work together.

it says best world 11, it doesn't mention best team.

ah here, same difference.

11 = team.

listen, i'm not going to get into an argument about this. it'd be a bit precious of us both. we obviously look at it differently.

i agree with most of the rest of your post though; plenty of good discussion points if you wished to bring them up about certain teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

whycliff wrote: »

Given

O Shea---Dunne---St Ledger---Kilbane

McGeady---Andrews---Whelan---Duff

Keane
    Doyle

Beat that, i challenge anyone.

Given

Lawrence---Andrews---Whelan---Duff

Keane
    Doyle

There you go ;)

ah here, same difference.

11 = team.

listen, i'm not going to get into an argument about this. it'd be a bit precious of us both. we obviously look at it differently.

i agree with most of the rest of your post though; plenty of good discussion points if you wished to bring them up about certain teams.

Fair enough, I'll leave it at this, when I view it as 11, I view it as the best 11 players in their respective positions. Too hard to put that into a team.

I'm the Derren Brown of football :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Casillas

Lahm - Vidic - Carvalho - Cole

--Essian - Iniesta - Xavi

--Messi - Torres - Ronaldo

Struggled to pick the defence though tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

Picked not neccessarily the best individuals but on the system I used

Given

Maicon Vidic Carvalio Evra

Mascherano

Xavi Iniesta

Messi Ronaldo

Drogba

Do I Smell a scouser???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maicon-Carvalho-Agger (when fit, bit of biased but i love him)-Lahm
    noodler wrote: »
    Sagna----Vidic
    Agger (when fit, bias here)
    Evra

Sorry lads but that's horrific. Agger? Average at best and always will be (when fit)

Anyhoo -

Buffon

Maicon
    Carvalho
    Vidic
    Evra

Essien

Xavi
    Fabregas

Messi
    Ronaldo

Torres

Subs: Casillas, Gerrard, Alves, Rooney, Drogba, Ibrahimovic, Iniesta

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Do I Smell a scouser???

Since this is an Irish message board, probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Raoul wrote: »
    Given

Maicon - Terry - Chiellini - Grosso

C.Ronaldo - Xavi - Fabregas - Messi

Drogba - Ibrahimovic
    Grosso? You cannot be serious.
    Based on this thread, that's either Casillas or Given.
    whycliff wrote: »

Given

McGeady---Andrews---Whelan---Duff

Keane
    Doyle

Beat that, i challenge anyone.
    Lloris
    Sagna - Gallas - Abidal - Evra
    L.Diarra - A.Diarra
    Anelka - Gourcuff - Henry
    Gignac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Edit: just realised the "Team of Gary Breens" thing has been done already. Twice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement