Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tevez considers retirement

• 13-11-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

Disappointment at losing his first choice place for Argentina and exhaustion have led Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez - formely of West Ham and Manchester United - to consider retirement after the World Cup, despite being only 25, usually a peak age in a footballer's career.

"My chance passed. I had my possibility and I couldn't take advantage of it. When the team needed goals I couldn't provide them," Tevez said.

"So it's logical that other lads should be in front of me," he added of players like Gonzalo Higuain, now coach Diego Maradona's first choice as central striker.

Tevez, speaking to Argentine reporters in Madrid where Maradona's team face Spain in a friendly on Saturday, said retirement had crossed his mind.

"It's complicated, there's my family, the desire to return to Boca Juniors, but I think about it. It crosses my mind to hang up my boots if we win the World Cup, although I have a contract (with Manchester City) until 2014," he said.

"I'm a bit tired of so much football, so much football. I want to enjoy my family a bit. I'm very keen to stop and get a bit of calm. I've already won a lot. Living for football has saturated me."

Tevez has been very successful already, being voted South American footballer of the year three times in a row, winning the Libertadores Cup and the world club title with Boca in 2003, the Brazilian league title with Corinthians in 2005 and an Olympic gold medal with Argentina in 2004.

In England, he helped West Ham avoid relegation in 2007 and Manchester United lift two Premier League titles and be crowned European and world club champions last year.

Tevez, who last month said he sometimes wanted to quit the national team, added that he got fed up with criticism of Maradona's side as they struggled in the World Cup qualifiers.

"We were criticised a lot, sometimes rightly so, but to have people say we didn't play well because of the money or we don't love the (Argentina) shirt, don't sing the national anthem, there's a lot of ill will," Tevez said

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/southamerica/42160/default.aspx

bloody hell

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He says exhaustion, but he's not playing first team for Argentina, and City arn't in Europe so it's not like they've a huge amount of fixtures. Seems a bit odd to me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sounds like hes fallen out of love with the game... not sure if theres any real way to come back from that. if youre not in it with everything you're never going to cut it at any decent level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

is he gonna give up that easily? surely not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hes obviously feeling unloved and is looking for attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

In before Xavi6 says its lost in translation and BS :pac:

He's going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Didn't he leave United in part cos he wanted to play more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

LOL I know its bull**** but it would be hilarious. A couple of months ago he wasn't getting enough football, now he has too much. Poor chap just can't seem to get things right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Helix wrote: »
    sounds like hes fallen out of love with the game... not sure if theres any real way to come back from that. if youre not in it with everything you're never going to cut it at any decent level

I've watched him a few times for city this season, theres no desire or determination in him anymore, it just seems like he's going through the motions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He needs to move to Anfield. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Stephen Ireland: International football? Im not arsed.
    Carlos Tevez: Football in general? Im a bit tired.

What do they put in the water at City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

47 Million well spent by city for a player who signs a few years contract and then is thinking of retiring after the world cup!!!

I'd say the travelling to Argentina is whats got him all flustered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

47 Million well spent by city for a player who signs a few years contract and then is thinking of retiring after the world cup!!!

I'd say the travelling to Argentina is whats got him all flustered.
    I think making the wrong decision in the summer has him flustered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Good enough for him. Did his career wonders this summer by not committing himself to us, instead choosing the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

That'd be one less money-grabbing mercenary to worry about anyway. Wouldn't be any loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is there anyone in the world at this stage who isn't sick of Carlos Tevez and his moany bullshit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

This is what happens when you sell your soul to Man City. Playing alongside the likes of Adebayor, Bellamy, Robinho and Wayne Bridge can't be good for your love of football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

to be fair to Tevez, there have always been signs that he'd retire early. He'd said pretty often in the past how he doesn't really want to continue playing past 30, and that he wants to finish his career at Boca's. Didn't he say he wont continue in Europe past the age of 28? This is nothing really new...

I'd say he's genuinely considering it, but i don't think he'll ever go through with it with the money on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i don't think he'll ever go through with it with the money on offer.

hes made enough for him and his family to be very very comfortably for a few generations back home in argentina anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Cannot get my head around this, happy we didn't pay the 47m for him.
    Manchester City and Argentina striker Carlos Tevez has admitted that he is considering retirement because of fatigue.

Ahead of Saturday's friendly with Spain, the 25-year-old has fallen behind the likes of Gonzalo Higuain in national boss Diego Maradona's plans after stuttering in World Cup qualifying.

Tevez confesses that, despite his young age, he thinks about hanging up his boots for club and country in order to rest and spend time with his family.

He said: "It's complicated, there's my family, the desire to return to Boca Juniors, but I think about it. It crosses my mind to hang up my boots if we win the World Cup, although I have a contract (with City) until 2014.

Ill will
    "I'm a bit tired of so much football. I want to enjoy my family a bit. I'm very keen to stop and get a bit of calm. I've already won a lot. Living for football has saturated me."

Regarding his place in Argentina's first team, he said: "My chance passed. I had my possibility and I couldn't take advantage of it. When the team needed goals I couldn't provide them.

"So it's logical that other lads should be in front of me."

Tevez has also hit back at critics of Argentina after it was suggested that members of the squad do not give 100 per cent at international level.

He said: "We were criticised a lot, sometimes rightly so, but to have people say we didn't play well because of the money or we don't love the (Argentina) shirt, don't sing the national anthem, there's a lot of ill will."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_5693357,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

manutd wrote: »
    Cannot get my head around this, happy we didn't pay the 47m for him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_5693357,00.html

47 mil??

Ah poor Carlos, there's players out there like Dean Ashton that'd give their left bollock to go out there and play week in week out and you have Tevez spouting this sh1te.

In fairness some people just lose the love for the game, fair enough, but he was singing a different song completely last year. It's a shame to see a top footballer come out with this sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You get only one life, if he isn't happy then just quit and do something else.
    He has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life and support his family too.
    But don't moan about it in the media! If you want to leave tell your club and not the journalists

Though he should at least serve the term of his contract first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

What a mooncat! Delighted we didn't buy him in the summer tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It looks like United fans had it right when they mocked up this billboard back in the summer....

welcometotheendofyou_279734.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

pram.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Striker feeling the strain from heavy schedule

How he's managing that? Sure what about Keith Andrews? 28 and playing both club and country football full time *unfortunately) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Good enough for him. Did his career wonders this summer by not committing himself to us, instead choosing the money.

Bitter much ? As a player i would rather United kept him before the mud slinging tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I said it in his last few months at United that he is a fantastic worker but appears to have genuine personal problems. He said he was depressed not getting into the team. Depression is not a minor issue and I wouldn't be shocked if he hung up his boots early. I hope he doesn't go down the gazza route...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pathetic if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

this can't be true...maybe he was misinterrpreted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Back in my day, we called this a Crybaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

In the week a footballer kills himself resulting from depression it's easy to see why mental illness is so stigmatised.

Not everyone is happy. Making lots of money does not make you happy. It might help, but it's not enough.

It's entirely possible that for a young lad from one of the toughest nastiest parts of Buenos Aires, that coming from a close knit family and community, living in a Cheshire village thousands of miles from home might not be what makes you happy.

Let's face it, he grew up wanting to play for Boca (I think he was a Boca fan as a kid, wouldn't swear to it, he might have done a Stevie G and secretly been a River or Independiente fan :pac:), did he ever really want to play for Manchester City?

did he ever really want to play for Manchester City?

Did anybody? No wonder he's depressed. ;)

A lot of people seem to think he's a moaner. First of all, maybe you should read the normal stevie g/rooney interviews where they give about 10/12 cliches and be happy.
    But sounds to me that Tevez isn't happy, slight depression in the tone there. For people to call him a moaner/spout ****e/pathetic is quite sad and narrow minded. He's earning thousands compared to us, fair enough. But consider you're working in some office job you don't like, in a company you hate, and you gave an honest interview in which you said you didn't like it and you might retire early. Many poorer people might think you're a moaner/spout ****e/pathetic. When you'd actually be dead right to quit if you can well afford.

Tevez has been one of the most honest players in the game in the last 10 years, and as a neutral (in the premiership) I applaud him as a player, and would consider him one of the players I always fully respect.

Did anybody? No wonder he's depressed. ;)

Ah that's the thing. If you were from Manchester and had supported them as a kid I bet you would.

Wasn't Stephen Ireland moaning a couple of years ago about how much he hated football etc?

Ah that's the thing. If you were from Manchester and had supported them as a kid I bet you would.

Wasn't Stephen Ireland moaning a couple of years ago about how much he hated football etc?

Two tossers don't make one right.

• Advertisement

Two tossers don't make one right.

Bit harsh on them. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Quint wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to think he's a moaner. First of all, maybe you should read the normal stevie g/rooney interviews where they give about 10/12 cliches and be happy.
    But sounds to me that Tevez isn't happy, slight depression in the tone there. For people to call him a moaner/spout ****e/pathetic is quite sad and narrow minded. He's earning thousands compared to us, fair enough. But consider you're working in some office job you don't like, in a company you hate, and you gave an honest interview in which you said you didn't like it and you might retire early. Many poorer people might think you're a moaner/spout ****e/pathetic. When you'd actually be dead right to quit if you can well afford.

Tevez has been one of the most honest players in the game in the last 10 years, and as a neutral (in the premiership) I applaud him as a player, and would consider him one of the players I always fully respect.

:confused:
    He's only been around for about five.

This whole thing may have a slight hint of depression, but he is an absolute cry baba as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think people hate their jobs in call centres and offices too but have to do it.

Even allowing for the whole "footballers are human beings too" bit, its incredibly hard to sympathise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,835 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's the way he's gone about it more than anything. If he had come out after the World Cup and said "right, I'm retiring because of this, this and this", then fine, that's reasonable and fairly acceptable. Instead he's come out more than 6 months beforehand and had a moan about it to a reporter. That's incredibly stupid and he deserves every bit of criticism he gets

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

He's gone from being the brazilian leagues top player to being a slightly above average forward in the premiership.
    Clearly not interested in the challenge of improving himself so he's prob better off at home where hes comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He has a bit of explaining to do anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I read this earlier and I thought he was retiring from the international scene. Statements like this make it easy to understand why so few United fans were truly upset to see him go. His public attacks on Fergie have been petty and showed a real lack of class. It is a shame though to hear this as he still is a real talent when he's on form.

I still think City over-paid for him, it seemed like part of the motivation for signing him was to irritate City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"It's complicated, there's my family, the desire to return to Boca Juniors, but I think about it. It crosses my mind to hang up my boots if we win the World Cup, although I have a contract (with Manchester City) until 2014," he said.

Nothing to worry bout Ciy fans, he'll be around for the forseeable.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Stekelly wrote: »
    Nothing to worry bout Ciy fans, he'll be around for the forseeable.:)

It'll really warm their hearts to know the reasons why he's playing for City though I guess that was obvious anyway.

:confused:
    He's only been around for about five.

This whole thing may have a slight hint of depression, but he is an absolute cry baba as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot that football doesn't exist outside the EPL:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

After reading the article again, I'm actually quite appalled and amazed at the lack of anger show by city fans on here and in general at these comments!!

Even Stevie Bloody Wonder could now see his motives for moving to City, along with a 75% pay raise.
    I'm fairly sure he could have pushed for a move to Chelsea or Pool or one of the many big continental teams.
    However, this is how the future will be for City, players like Carlos "Heart on his sleeve" Tevez are going to use the football club as means of gaining a much larger than average payday, and a quick pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

So you're saying you knew how honest he was when he was 14 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

d22ontour wrote: »
    Bitter much ? As a player i would rather United kept him before the mud slinging tbh.

Not bitter much. Wasn't worth the massive money City paid.

He chose a bumper pay rise instead of staying and winning more trophies as a fairly important player with United. It's proved to be a silly move thus far.

noodler wrote: »
    I think people hate their jobs in call centres and offices too but have to do it.

Even allowing for the whole "footballers are human beings too" bit, its incredibly hard to sympathise.

Really?

I hated my last proper job but it didn't make me miserable per sé.

Although my best mate had to quit one job because it turned into a nightmare for him, with a boss who was bullying/harrassing him and nothing he could do about it because it was his boss' company. I sympathised there.

It's quite easy to sympathise with anyone whose unhappy. At least I find it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The EPL isn't my favourite league, so whisht.
    He only beecame a regular in the Boca team in 02/03. Not exactly 10 years ago is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement