Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

120mm mounted in 3 x 5.25'' Bays

• 13-11-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

My motherboard temps have been a little on the high side (mid 40's in BIOS) but I cant get any more computer stuff till christmas.I was sitting around today and was thinking about if I could use the spare CM 120mm that I have to cool the mothboard down a little.All the predrilled holes aren't in the right places so I improvised.

4100304325_f84c4a5206_b.jpg

And heres one with the Drive bay covers on

4100298381_a915c9b56e_b.jpg

Its working a charm at the moment,dropped my CPU temp by 2 degrees and my motherboard by 8 :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But my guess is its heating up somewhere else, having 2 fans blowing in and only one blowing out is only going to create hotspots. You can only blow in whats being sucked out. To even the balance You need to add another fan to the rear to expel the heat, you want to keep the exhaust fans at a higher flow rate then your intake, to insure that the hot air leaves your case and is replenished by nice cool air. This is the reason the front fan was low, to get cool air to the gpu then the cpu cooler (heat rises), now the gpu isn't getting the heat out

guide-airflow.jpg

http://www.svc.com/generalcoolingguide.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    But my guess is its heating up somewhere else, having 2 fans blowing in and only one blowing out is only going to create hotspots. You can only blow in whats being sucked out. To even the balance You need to add another fan to the rear to expel the heat, you want to keep the exhaust fans at a higher flow rate then your intake, to insure that the hot air leaves your case and is replenished by nice cool air. This is the reason the front fan was low, to get cool air to the gpu then the cpu cooler (heat rises), now the gpu isn't getting the heat out

I had 2 exhausts and only the one intake,so I was just balancing things out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I had 2 exhausts and only the one intake,so I was just balancing things out

Ok, I'll shut up now :p

Ok, I'll shut up now :p

Haha :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

guide-airflow.jpg

hmm, i thought it was the other way around? that you want to create more pressure inside the case in order to push the air through the system components... I know this is the case in my HAF, the two intakes create 220CFM whereas the exhausts 170CFM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm, i thought it was the other way around? that you want to create more pressure inside the case in order to push the air through the system components..

I was under the same impression. I've always configured my systems to have a high positive pressure rather than negative (i.e more intake than out take.) and it's always worked for me.

Also, OP, nice mod. It was one of the first one I did myself when I started building PC's.

This is the 12cm fan mod I did after the 8cm fan mod I did before it wasn't cooling enough:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52001552&postcount=1

Let us know if it helps with your chipset temps. Have you already reseated your chipset heatsinks with a better TIM?

Also. I'd recommend modding a fan into the side of your case, blowing down on the chipset itself would help a lot more than blowing across it.

One last quick mod would to but some form of dampening material at the top and bottom of that 12cm fan to stop reverberation inside your case which will make it noisier. Some little pieces of styrofoam would probably work.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I was under the same impression. I've always configured my systems to have a high positive pressure rather than negative (i.e more intake than out take.) and it's always worked for me.

Also, OP, nice mod. It was one of the first one I did myself when I started building PC's.

This is the 12cm fan mod I did after the 8cm fan mod I did before it wasn't cooling enough:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52001552&postcount=1

Let us know if it helps with your chipset temps. Have you already reseated your chipset heatsinks with a better TIM?

Also. I'd recommend modding a fan into the side of your case, blowing down on the chipset itself would help a lot more than blowing across it.

One last quick mod would to but some form of dampening material at the top and bottom of that 12cm fan to stop reverberation inside your case which will make it noisier. Some little pieces of styrofoam would probably work.

Dont need to mod my side,it already has pre drilled holes for 1x200mm fan or 2x120.Do agree that might help though.

Reseating the heatsink is awkward too,I have to take out my HSF to get at my NB cooler.

You cant tell from that pic,but that fan is atually suspened so theres no noise other than the fan itself :)

It dropped my chipset temps 8 degrees and my CPU by 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i like the mod, good idea: )

Anti wrote: »
    i like the mod, good idea: )

Thanks Anti :D

Also,for anyone wanting to try this,the metal in the drives bays is sharp so be careful,you dont cut yourself to bits,my hands have little cuts all over for them.

Ahh,the things us modders do :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Speaking of fans, anyone know the best place to get 2 230 x 200 x 30mm - Red LED case fans for a HAF 932?

• Advertisement

you tried pc-look.com ?

They have a huge section of fans. Just had a quick look and they do infact stock them :D

http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Cooler_Master_230-mm-Lighted-Fan-for-Cosmos-S-RC-1100-or-HAF-RC-932-Red-LED__28874_en.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Anti wrote: »
    you tried pc-look.com ?

They have a huge section of fans. Just had a quick look and they do infact stock them :D

http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Cooler_Master_230-mm-Lighted-Fan-for-Cosmos-S-RC-1100-or-HAF-RC-932-Red-LED__28874_en.html

Ta mate will keep an eye out for when they back in stock :)

Wonder wtf CM dont sell them direct in there shop :eek:

ask and ye shall receive :D

Front: 230 x 30 mm red LED fan x 1, 700 RPM, 110 CFM, 19 dBA

Side: 230 x 30 mm standard fan x 1, 700 RPM, 110 CFM, 19 dBA (support 120 x 25 fan x 4)

Top: 230 x 30 mm standard fan x 1, 700 RPM, 110 CFM, 19 dBA (support 120 mm fan x 3 or 120 mm x 1 + 230 x 30 mm x 1)

Rear: 140 x 25 mm standard fan x 1, 1200 RPM, 60 CFM, 17 dBA (support 120 mm fan x 1), 35,000 hours life expectancy

Advertisement