Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snakes pulled a Houdini on me...

Options
  • 13-11-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

First time poster here hoping you guys can help me out!
    My boyf & I have four snakes & a chameleon between us & are normally one big happy family but just over a week ago my two corns pulled a vanishing act in the night... Unbeknown t me there was a loose vent which Boy (I'm assuming) managed to loosen some more & thus they were able t squeeze out.
    Corns are Boy & Girl (those are their names, heh) Boy a bit more than four foot, Girl a bit under (approx) & average girth for a corn, which isn't pencil thin but it's thin enough to get into small spaces.
    Now boy got out once before & after pulling the place apart he came back to us abut a week later-depositing himself in my handbag in the night!
    We have again looked everywhere for them but so far no luck, I even put out the big canvas handbag Boy was found in last time every night with a heatmat in it.
    It's VERY unlikely they have gotten out of the flat-I am 99% sure they are still in here SOMEwhere but where is the question!?!
    Basically am wondering if anyone has other ideas on how to lure them out? I am thinking about putting out a mouse (dead, warmed up) on a heatmat (to keep it warm all night) Even if in the morning I wake up & it's gone & there is no sign of them I'll know they are around.
    Or does anyone have odd places we might not have checked that we ought to? (I'm pretty sure we've searched everywhere but Boy is a big climber & I don't think he'd have much trouble getting anywhere if he put his mind to it!)
    I am especially worried as it's getting so cold lately, I hope they have holed up somewhere warm!

ANY advice is welcome!

~Katie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

KatieEgg wrote: »
    First time poster here hoping you guys can help me out!
    My boyf & I have four snakes & a chameleon between us & are normally one big happy family but just over a week ago my two corns pulled a vanishing act in the night... Unbeknown t me there was a loose vent which Boy (I'm assuming) managed to loosen some more & thus they were able t squeeze out.
    Corns are Boy & Girl (those are their names, heh) Boy a bit more than four foot, Girl a bit under (approx) & average girth for a corn, which isn't pencil thin but it's thin enough to get into small spaces.
    Now boy got out once before & after pulling the place apart he came back to us abut a week later-depositing himself in my handbag in the night!
    We have again looked everywhere for them but so far no luck, I even put out the big canvas handbag Boy was found in last time every night with a heatmat in it.
    It's VERY unlikely they have gotten out of the flat-I am 99% sure they are still in here SOMEwhere but where is the question!?!
    Basically am wondering if anyone has other ideas on how to lure them out? I am thinking about putting out a mouse (dead, warmed up) on a heatmat (to keep it warm all night) Even if in the morning I wake up & it's gone & there is no sign of them I'll know they are around.
    Or does anyone have odd places we might not have checked that we ought to? (I'm pretty sure we've searched everywhere but Boy is a big climber & I don't think he'd have much trouble getting anywhere if he put his mind to it!)
    I am especially worried as it's getting so cold lately, I hope they have holed up somewhere warm!

ANY advice is welcome!

~Katie

You're the second person in a while i have read who has lost a snake expect you have managed to lose two . One of the posters
    ( Satyr_The_Great )before who has lost snakes said that he gets a 2ltr Coke bottle or any 2ltr bottle and leaves a dead mouse inside at the end, he said the smell draws the snakes out inside and has alot of success rate with this method so maybe try this is you can.

Hopefully you find them soon enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

haha ya got the coke bottle bit right,, depends on the size of the snake, alot of snakes prefer small tight places but in general yeah a 2 ltr bottle does the trick.
    If you have wooden floors, get some flour, and scatter some of it around and near places u think the snake may be.
    In the morning and thru out the day, look for tracks / marks in the flour where the snake has or may have gone thru.
    Also, you might want to try get a spare heatmat, and plug it in and leave a box with a hole ontop of it, snakes go to dark warm places too so this might help ya find him.
    Hope you find him soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

haha ya got the coke bottle bit right,,

ha, the man himself. :) Any luck with finding your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KatieEgg

That's great, thanks for the help guys, fingers crossed I'll have my family back together soon!

found the carpets,, touch and go with them yet but im hoping theyl be ok.
    To the OP, Once your hosue is good and warm, they should stay where they are. They could turn up at anytime, If you have any dogs or cats inside then keep a close eye on them incase they find the awol snake.

• Advertisement

Had a look at your thread Satyr_The_Great, I don't feel so bad losing my two now! It's so true they really are such escape artists! We haven't any other pets so unless my burmese comes across them & even then, she's all talk :p

~Katie

Im cleaning out my rep room at the weekend anyway,, i have 2 dwarf caiman coming at xmas so im gonna make security on the room even tighter. Installing a new heating system to heat the entire room rather than usin individual heaters, the room is gonna be well sealed.

Wish I had the space to do something like that but am in a tiny flat atm so have reached my max capacity for snakes methinks! Ah, well, maybe I could fit a couple more ^_^
    My corns were my first though & I will be so heartbroken if can't find them...

~Katie

Still no sign after bottle trick, am gonna try again tonight & cover the place in flour!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

that's too bad that they haven't turned up yet.
    one of my striped Cali King managed to escape when a Friend was taking care of them while I was on holiday.

when I got back I tried the bottle trick, didn't work.
    no sign of the snake all after two months - we had assumed we would never see the snake again.

then one evening (6months in total after it escaped)I was in the kitchen & who slitherd across the floor - the Cali king, lost some weight, but overall was in good health.

so if your snakes are in good shape, the will probably turn up at some stage even if its a few months later.

• Advertisement

that's too bad that they haven't turned up yet.
    one of my striped Cali King managed to escape when a Friend was taking care of them while I was on holiday.

when I got back I tried the bottle trick, didn't work.
    no sign of the snake all after two months - we had assumed we would never see the snake again.

then one evening (6months in total after it escaped)I was in the kitchen & who slitherd across the floor - the Cali king, lost some weight, but overall was in good health.

so if your snakes are in good shape, the will probably turn up at some stage even if its a few months later.

Thanks for this, it gives me hope!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

Great link, ta!

Girl was found today in my laptop bag, poked her lil head out & I saw & pounced! So one down, one to go!!

~Katie

Both found, yay!

Advertisement