Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It's amazing how quickly this game has gone from looking ground breaking to looking on par with current gen stuff. I remember hearing about this before Crysis.

I have high hopes for this though. I really love the Survival Horror genre but it's rarely supported and when it is it isn't done well. Dead Space was good but there was far too many weapons and armour upgrades that made you feel safer. A good survival horror should make you feel less and less safe as the game progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

So was I, I remember the promo trailer they showed with the physX tornado looked utterly fantastic. Seems technology has caught up with it.

Not liking this tho:
    A Remedy spokesperson has since confirmed to Digital Spy that the firm is "currently working exclusively" on Alan Wake for the console and that any decision on a potential PC version now rests solely with publisher Microsoft Games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I really like the look of this game and I hope it lives up to at least some of the hype.
    I'm a bit Twin Peaks fan and this game appears to have some of it's influences.

Read today that it may be out in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the atmosphere is really special looking in this game, should merit a purchase, shame the developers are not getting a move on with it though, joke that it hasnt been released by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why is there a lit area around the player? looks gay tbh its like they feel a Silent hill clone should have a magic light illuminating the player.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why is there a lit area around the player? looks gay tbh its like they feel a Silent hill clone should have a magic light illuminating the player.

What? in what clip? I watched the police chase one and there was never a glow around Alan Wake. The lighting is the main thing that looks like they have done a great job on, as well as the sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

How long has it been in development? I remember hearing about this years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not liking this tho:

amazing how they make it seem an issue of technology and nothing to do whatever with the growing aversion towards the PC platform with the mainstream publishers.

If it works on the Xbox, it works on the PC, all they need to optimise are small things like the render targets and that to utilize PC hardware fully.

Burgo wrote: »
    How long has it been in development? I remember hearing about this years ago.

I remember hearing about this game and seeing teaser screens as earlier as 2004, just after I completed HL2 for the first time. There was a tech demo at E3 05 afair.

I really thought this game was going to be released long before Crysis would. But here we are, 2 years after Crysis hit the shelves and still no sign of this game, and graphically, it may never live up the hype if it gets released solely on consoles which are running PC hardware from at least 2 generations ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What? in what clip? I watched the police chase one and there was never a glow around Alan Wake. The lighting is the main thing that looks like they have done a great job on, as well as the sounds.

Its dark out and you can see him, theres a magic light around him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It still looks good, but it has definitely lost its 'Wow' factor that it had when it was originally shown back in 04/05. I've lost some interest in it though, due to the 360 exclusive that seems to be happening. Would be a shame for Remedy to not release it on the Pc.

amazing how they make it seem an issue of technology and nothing to do whatever with the growing aversion towards the PC platform with the mainstream publishers.

If it works on the Xbox, it works on the PC, all they need to optimise are small things like the render targets and that to utilize PC hardware fully.

I think the first time I saw this game was when the first quad core CPUs were being released. They said that this would be one of the first games to really make use of 4 CPUs. Evidently things have changed and they only need three cores...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I dont think it has lost its wow factor at all, just forget these videos and go look at the supposed in game shots we were familiar with years ago, they still look absoloutley stunning.

The reason the videos look bog standard is because its running on console test hardware I would imagine. It has to stick to certain limitations, certain rules...which there would be far less of when it was being showcased on high end developer pc's first.

Unfortunately this is the way the game will look, restricted, standard. If it ever got a pc release, its only then we would see the true potential of this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

EnterNow wrote: »
    I dont think it has lost its wow factor at all, just forget these videos and go look at the supposed in game shots we were familiar with years ago, they still look absoloutley stunning.

The reason the videos look bog standard is because its running on console test hardware I would imagine. It has to stick to certain limitations, certain rules...which there would be far less of when it was being showcased on high end developer pc's first.

Unfortunately this is the way the game will look, restricted, standard. If it ever got a pc release, its only then we would see the true potential of this game.

The reason it doesn't look as good is that its got consilitis like every other multi platform title, dumbed down. Compare it to this vid which still looks amazing, even 2 years later. I want them to make the game they first intended

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just watched the 2 police chase videos.... as a piece of narrative, it was terrific. Very exciting and cinematic. As a game? Not sure..... just looks like alot of running. When does the actual game kick in?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The reason it doesn't look as good is that its got consilitis like every other multi platform title, dumbed down. Compare it to this vid which still looks amazing, even 2 years later. I want them to make the game they first intended

My point exactly.

My point exactly.

It still does look very good, even now. But it just looks like the next iteration in graphics rather than how revolutionary it looked back when it was being contrasted with the original HL2 (remember it didn't even have HDR back then).

The way it looks now it might just be the next step up from Uncharted 2 which has really set the bar in regards to what consoles can do, with some excellent examples of large draw distances and the atmosphere that can be created with effective lighting (i.e. such as the blue torches in the ruins)
    Mr E wrote: »
    I just watched the 2 police chase videos.... as a piece of narrative, it was terrific. Very exciting and cinematic. As a game? Not sure..... just looks like alot of running. When does the actual game kick in?

It's a psychological thriller more than a TPS. The idea of this kind of game is to keep the player on edge. Unlike most shooters the idea is to make the player feel severely underpowered, rather than making them extremely overpowered with armour and rocket launchers. I'd be happy if all they give you to protect yourself with is a pistol and maybe melee weapons. It's more about creating an atmospheric experience that you immerse yourself in then having the player run and gun. I'd imagine in between set pieces there will be a lot of puzzles to solve also.

It's a psychological thriller more than a TPS. The idea of this kind of game is to keep the player on edge. Unlike most shooters the idea is to make the player feel severely underpowered, rather than making them extremely overpowered with armour and rocket launchers. I'd be happy if all they give you to protect yourself with is a pistol and maybe melee weapons. It's more about creating an atmospheric experience that you immerse yourself in then having the player run and gun. I'd imagine in between set pieces there will be a lot of puzzles to solve also.

Isn't one of your main weapons light? Some of the gameplay videos I've seen show the mechanic where your flashlight is your weapon against the evil forces.
    Other screen shots show him with a pistol but I would imagine that would be for other things.

It certainly would be interesting if physical weapons were useless against the nasty monsters and instead you have to manipulate physics objects to illuminate areas etc. Nothing new really, but a good mechanic all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Looks like a very directed playthrough of a section - camera is always being pointed exactly where it should for the most cinematic shot. Player slows down at particular moments for the same reason.
    It's more about creating an atmospheric experience that you immerse yourself in then having the player run and gun.

Hopefully there won't be too many boneheaded characters, like agent Nightingale, pulling us out of the world.

It still does look very good, even now. But it just looks like the next iteration in graphics rather than how revolutionary it looked back when it was being contrasted with the original HL2 (remember it didn't even have HDR back then).

Thats very true, it doesnt look as revolutionary as when it did when those shots were released. But you'd have to ak yourself the question, is that just consolitus, or our well catered for expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the first mention of it on eurogamer is 31/05/2005 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Pre-release review goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I heard about this game a few years back, just forgot about it. It does look good but jesus how long has this been in development?

Looks great, I had to stop that review at 1:50 though, that reviewer is, in my opinion, an absoloute clown.

Looks great, I had to stop that review at 1:50 though, that reviewer is, in my opinion, an absoloute clown.
    Wow. One of those, eh? Its a joke, a parody.

Pushtrak wrote: »

It's pretty bad. The guy just keeps on going, he's just saying words. I muted it after he said the 15th name of some bible game and just watched the footage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I really thought this game was going to be released long before Crysis would. But here we are, 2 years after Crysis hit the shelves and still no sign of this game, and graphically, it may never live up the hype if it gets released solely on consoles which are running PC hardware from at least 2 generations ago.

Sounds perfect for a overdeveloped pc game, just move onto a different platform but the same hardware.

It's pretty bad. The guy just keeps on going, he's just saying words. I muted it after he said the 15th name of some bible game and just watched the footage
    Try it from 1:30. He actually talks about the game.

Edit: Well, in a not really talking about it way as is the humour in the vids. Also the humour in other videos are youtube comments saying how what he says is inaccurate as if he'll say "Oh.. My bad, I didn't know that."

Pushtrak wrote: »

Yup Im one of those...wow indeed. Wow that anybody actually listens to this fool, and wow that this tripe can be classified as a joke/parody. Wow. And from 1:30...he doesnt talk about the game, have another listen (not you L31mr0d, if you thought up to 1:30 was bad, its gets worse believe it or not).

On topic though, from wikipedia -
    On August 17, 2009, Matias Myllyrinne, managing director at Remedy, claimed that Alan Wake is 'done', and is undergoing final polishing
    - so hopefully we will see it soon. Why would they have shelved the windows version? Would it that progress on it was slowing down the whole titles release? Or would it be piracy concerns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,926 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the torch effects look terrible.

Advertisement