Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Hendon100 wrote: »
    He defiantly going to have some role in the next game or maybe even in the DLC because of the closing scene but my point is that he was wrote into the story by Alan Wake and all his actions were Alans writings.

The Charachter which confuses me is Emil Hartman. Was he a tool of the Drak Presence I wonder? But he could'nt have been??
    He was trying to harness the power for his own means.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I remember spending ages searching Nightingale's motel room hoping that there would be some sort of answer in there... but the whole motel seemed to be a tad pointless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

I remember spending ages searching Nightingale's motel room hoping that there would be some sort of answer in there... but the whole motel seemed to be a tad pointless really.

Felt like something from when the game used to be a sandbox really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bulktohulk wrote: »
    Felt like something from when the game used to be a sandbox really.

A lot of it felt like that for me. I got a bit OCD about the manuscript pages and would wander off every chance I got, and while the areas were relatively open if you trekked off the prescribed path they felt empty, just more forest really. Same with the driving sections, stopping and starting to check out the different buildings you encountered took ages, and while the driving section may have lasted 15 mins only a fifteenth of that was actually spent driving!

There definitely were relics of the open world engine, and some of the earlier demos featuring dynamic weather effects were mighty impressive, but tbh I think the linear narrative structure they went with in the end benefited the game overall. Still, I always smirked when I saw a road blocked off by a conveniently placed logging truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

A lot of it felt like that for me. I got a bit OCD about the manuscript pages and would wander off every chance I got, and while the areas were relatively open if you trekked off the prescribed path they felt empty, just more forest really. Same with the driving sections, stopping and starting to check out the different buildings you encountered took ages, and while the driving section may have lasted 15 mins only a fifteenth of that was actually spent driving!

That started to really bug me by the end of the game. I really wanted all the manuscript pages but spending ages wandering around the landscape doing nothing began getting on my tits. I picked up less and less of them as I went through the game, I don't mind that the coffee thermos were placed out of the way but you felt like you were missing something by missing the manuscript pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Video is a big Alan Wake tribute, <3 Poets of the Fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

Question:
    Could anyone explain what happened in the end? After watching the epiloge I'm more than confused...

In general:
    I'm really suprised about the how badly the sales of this game are going. It's quite enjoyable if you ask me. Controls were working smoothly either and I'm really glad they developed this game for so long, wouldn't have been nearly as good on XBOX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

anna.fun wrote: »
    In general:
    I'm really suprised about the how badly the sales of this game are going. It's quite enjoyable if you ask me. Controls were working smoothly either and I'm really glad they developed this game for so long, wouldn't have been nearly as good on XBOX.

Where abouts did ya see the overall sales for the game?

Just playing it now and loving it. Lip syncing is terrible in the game, they barely move their lips and look like ventriloquist dummies but the game just oozes atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

rizzla wrote: »
    Where abouts did ya see the overall sales for the game?

1170189AmericaFrontccc.jpg

From VGChartz

US = 0.24
    Jap = 0.02
    Europe = 0.17
    Total = 0.43 million = 430,000 copies sold

For comparison,

Resi 5 sold 2.75 (360) + 3.24 (PS3) = ~6 million total.

Silent Hill Homecoming sold .36 (360) and .23 (PS3) = 590,000 copies total.

I'd imagine that some games hope to sell at least 2 million to offset costs & advertising and actually be worth their time.

430,000 in a lil over a month. Plus being released next to Red Dead in the states probably didn't help. Might get a bit of a bump for Xmas.

I don't think 2 mil is the breakeven. Mass Effect 2 has only sold 1.78 mil to date.

For an exclusive new IP I think it's doing alright. Probably didn't reach the estimated sales they wanted.

Cheers for the link though.

• Advertisement

Any idea how much the average big game release costs to make and market?

I'd imagine somewhere between 50-100 million......which i guess translates to 1-2 million game sales? just hazarding a guess

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'd imagine somewhere between 50-100 million......which i guess translates to 1-2 million game sales? just hazarding a guess

No way. Heard in a podcast awhile ago, it's about the price of a very cheap movie around $20 mil. Not factoring in advertising costs though.

I know it's a wiki link

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Most_expensive_games

Cool, so we'll say 20 million not including advertisements. How much do Games Companies get for each copy of their game they sell to retailers? $20? More? Less?

Probably more because retailers complain about the profit they make from new games which is why they push second hand so hard.

if u find that out pls post it here :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've had friends asking me which to buy. Alan Wake or RDR.

RDR offers much more value for money compared to Alan Wake due to it's shear size. However there's still lots of interest in Alan Wake and I can imagine it will sell well when the price drops and also second hand.

5uspect wrote: »
    I've had friends asking me which to buy. Alan Wake or RDR.

RDR offers much more value for money compared to Alan Wake due to it's shear size. However there's still lots of interest in Alan Wake and I can imagine it will sell well when the price drops and also second hand.

I'd go for RDR, i don't think that'll price-drop any time soon. Alan Wake hasn't sold well ~1/2 million copies so that'll go down hopefully in a few weeks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wasn't asking for advise. Just commenting on some of the factors affecting the poor sales.

RARR! lol

Advertisement