Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting charges

• 13-11-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I have an unlimited shared hosting plan in America-ok nothing is unlimited but according to tech support,as long as I dont go over 300 gigs of discspace or bandwidth,they will leave me alone.I receive 24/7 live friendly support.I havent had a single problem so far this year.One issue I had was with upload time from a php script but as it turns out they are just protecting their resources by setting it at 60 seconds,which is fair enough.

The cost? 37 euro a year

And then I had a look at hosting charges in I reland and i got what i call the dentist defense-the reason i was going to be charged way more than this here was because I would get far better service,or the 2 services were not compatible,or the alignment of the sun was different,or god knows what else.....

Ok if you have 20 Irish staff and paying the ESB their cut,and your rates and on and on-the simple fact is-I dont really care.But if I need to host a site here then Im going to pay 5 or 6 times more than what I pay now.

And no its not a different service,and yes the 2 are identical,and yes it is 5 or 6 times more expensive

just wanted to get that off my chest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Do you know how much bandwidth & storage you actually use per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Why not post a link to your current hosts site / package.

You are on a shared server ....

Some hosts may allow a max of 20 sites - some may allow 3000. ( Heard of this with Godaddy in the US ) You mention having no issues so far which of course is great but there may be times where the server load is slowing your site considerably.

The backend control panel software could be different.

Support for upgrades to the likes of PHP etc can vary widely.

Database licensing can vary

Email sending out can be capped ( for ecommerce stores sending newsletters etc can be stoppped for sending more than 100 emails an hour and charged extra with some hosts )

etc etc

Not having a go at you but the point I'm making is that there can be very different levels of service associated with various shared hosting packages and unless you get a bit more specific it's hard to justify a rip off Ireland thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lets see I've used godaddy.com in the past and found them ok...sure loads of webspace and bandwidth but my site was hosted in the states and that in itself means things can run a little slow

I now host with blacknight.ie, abit more expensive but does the job support is far better then anything godaddy.com offered and the site runs faster to the audiance I'm aiming at :)

Bottom line, you get what you pay for and if service, speed and uptime are not factors for you then go with a cheap webhost :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not post a link to your current hosts site / package.

website appears to be http://www.carlowonline.ie and it seems that it "appears" to be hosted with http://www.letshost.ie/

If it is letshost I wouldn't be hosting with them after this course of action
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228547

Advertisement