Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychic phone line preys on vulnerable

Options
  • 13-11-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

The next time someone is tempted to argue that the whole psychic is just a bit of a laugh, perhaps they could read this poor guy's story first:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=126013
    I lost my job eight months ago.
    I am currently unemployed and receivinng 204 euro per week.
    I have never received state assistance before and have worked full time for 14 years. The bill is for €1400

I owe a phone company money - after I lost my job I ran up a huge phonebill trying to find a new one and phoneing psychic lines.

[...]

I am now well and when I came out of hospital I was informed by the phone company that they had passed my account over to a debt collection agency.

The agency are wicked wicked people, they send me threats about publishing my details so everyone can see my debt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

They are awful awful things, people really need to understand they are entertainment lines, there is nothing genuine about them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Funny, I feel sorry for the guy losing his job and ending up in hospital they're both terrible things, but with regard to calling the pyschic line, I just feel WTF- firstly most people know it's for entertainment (then again if you've lost all else and they're telling you nice things are gonna happen in the future...) and secondly aren't the rates always advertised.

Completly off topic, just got a feeling of deja vu twice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marlena

I can sympathize with this persons story but everyone has a story when it comes to debt and health issues.

Firstly I would like to say I am not a fan of psychic phone lines that keep people on phones for E 2.90 per minute or whatever the cost per minute is. I have no opionion if they are genuine or not. Its not for me to say.

They do in all fairness clarify their prices and say it is for entertainment purposes.

The Psychic Phone lines are obviously making lots of money as they have been highlighted a lot recently.

But its like everything else in life. If you cant afford it .Dont purchase.

Yes this person was probably vulnerable and wanted direction. There are a lot of vulnerable people in different circumstances and get themselves into debt to make themselves feel better. The Psychic Line was an option this person chose.

Just my input. I dont need any backlash on this thread for offering an opionion. I work privately and in no way associated to psychic phone line companies.

There are genuine psychics and of course there is the con artist. The only way you know the real deal is to judge the person that is reading you.

But realistically speaking. You cant say they preyed on this person. They had a choice. And just like the other poster I do believe this is off topic in relevance to the other persons story.

Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I notice you have got some backlash in the skeptics forum before Marlena and im sorry to see your comment almost pre-empting a backlash.
    I completely agree with you however. If he didnt have the money in a perfect world he should have know not to buy and also that they are advertised as entertainment, but when we are vulnerable we are open to negative things.

On a side note I think you dealt with the other thread very well, Glad to see it hasn't stopped you posting :)

Take care,
    Nikki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marlena

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    I notice you have got some backlash in the skeptics forum before Marlena and im sorry to see your comment almost pre-empting a backlash.
    I completely agree with you however. If he didnt have the money in a perfect world he should have know not to buy and also that they are advertised as entertainment, but when we are vulnerable we are open to negative things.

On a side note I think you dealt with the other thread very well, Glad to see it hasn't stopped you posting :)

Take care,
    Nikki

Thank you Nikki.
    I will continue to post as I am a huge follower of boards this years.
    I understand when you say when people are vulnerable to negative influences in life. Some people when down on their luck will turn to anything to make themselves feel better. But a bill of E 1400. After three calls to these lines would something not have rang through maybe.
    Different strokes for different folks but realistically speaking people have a choice.I realize decision making can be difficult while in a different frame of mind but the phone lines cant be held liable. The poster makes it sound as if they were in some way taking advantage of this persons circumstances.( Who knows ).The original posting question states ''PREY '' Just my opionion. Thats all. I am sure there are lots of people with opionions also. I genuinely dont have anything more to add to this topic.

Blessings
    Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its the same kind of attraction as online gambling. What kind of fool thinks they will win? But its advertised legitimately and seems to be perfectly acceptable even though people end up in situations like the guy above, and worse.

Ive never said psychic phone lines were a laugh. I think they should be banned. (Just like online gambling should be... but thats another topic.).

Advertisement