Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG THAW***POSSIBLE FLOODING FOR TUE 11TH***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

leincar wrote: »
    Villain is in the news again. Well done on the coverage.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/weatherman-finds-his-skills-in-hot-demand-2006236.html

.............The IT expert (pictured above right) revealed his shock yesterday after he ventured out into his snow-laden back garden......

:D:D Will we all chip in and get Villain some internet access so he can go online at carlowweather.com and read the temperature like the rest of us and save him going out in the cold during the night to check the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Haha that is class Villain, you'll have to get down the next time we are playing footie though because i've always wanted to kick a local celeb in a game of football :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

more snow fell in Tullow this a.m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Some more information concerning the gritting of roads in Carlow and emergency phone numbers if people need help. Carlow and Kilkenny have set up emergency teams.

http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=151673789

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

I am away for the night so does anyone know if it snowed much in Bunclody today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Looby_Loo wrote: »
    I am away for the night so does anyone know if it snowed much in Bunclody today?

Little bit this morning and this afternoon. I got from Bunclody to Ballon and back this afternoon without any major drama. The roads are pretty clear on the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Today I drove the Carlow to Tullow via Ballon.
    I came from Tullow via Killerig.

The N81 from Ballon to Tullow was the worse of the 3 roads I was on. Its ok in Ballon and ok in Tullow but the bit in between is not great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Fresh snowfall in Tullow tonight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

Its snowing again!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

oldmillgal wrote: »
    Its snowing again!

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

Leighlinbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

time to look outside.

can someone in carlow go out and look for me. I am too comfortable on the sofa :o:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 martinflynn

well i can tell you we have had a fall of snow in waterford for the past hour

Its snowing steadily in Ballon. It started at 8.15am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yes snowing moderately in Tullow but the temp has risen to -0.1 with a Dew Point -0.3 unusual snow for these temps

Snowed lastnight in Carlow town too. Off to clear the driveway and footpath again i guess
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi guys - been keping on eye on this - I never made it to Carlow during he week - still in Dub now - just wondering how much snow did ye have last night in Tullow/Carlow. It was very heavy here at around 11 o'clock - I'd say we got about two inches (enough for a nice snowman!lol) I'm worried that my pipes down there will be frozen.... Not much I can do about it from Dub though!

Villian - do you reckon after todays forecast heavy snowfall (which I'm wonderig did Dub get last night instead of today...?) - we will be out of the worst of it (from a snow point of view at least?)

The N80 at Boggan Hill has been well gritted and is fine.
    The N81 from Closh Cross to Tullow is icy but passable.

For anyone planning on going to Altamont Gardens, its closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Slight thaw on as its 2c now, the weather is very hard to forecast at the moment, the UK Met office had a warning out for the UK today and they have downgraded that a lot. I expect temps will drop back again after dark and we could see more snow this evening but its very hard to call.

We had 5cm's here last night and could see the same again, Tuesday looks messy sleet/rain but this may only be a brief break in the cold as its possible the cold may return after next weekend but thats very much open to change

We have about the same in Carlow. I'm just back in from clearing the driveway and was surprised but how much fresh powder there was.

BTW, is anyone else in Carlow town without water yet?

I just check the temp on the car and it was 0.0 degrees. Here's hoping for another 1 or 2 degrees to start the ice melting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

what are road conditions like in general im meant to be returning to college tomorrow so would be travelling this evening im keeping an eye on AA and county council website but its hard to judge at the minute i think im gonna wait it out and take it day by day hopefully tomorrow mite be a goer:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

deaglan169 wrote: »
    what are road conditions like in general im meant to be returning to college tomorrow so would be travelling this evening im keeping an eye on AA and county council website but its hard to judge at the minute i think im gonna wait it out and take it day by day hopefully tomorrow mite be a goer:confused:

are you sure the college is open tomorrow?

carlow town is quite slippy, well was earlier today anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

yeah on website it says college is open but any exams that were due to commence are cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

Snowing in Wateford all day today I was informed and the snow is supposed to be moving up towards us in Carlow. Anyone hear anything?

I can update on some of the roads.
    Since there was a bit of a taw out I drove around a bit today to relieve the cabin fever.

Drove from Carlow to Kildare, back down to Kilkenny and back to Carlow.

Carlow to C'dermot is fine. The inside lane of the M9 is fine but there's alot of snow in the overtaking lane. That goes for both north bound and south bound. The M7 is in pretty good nic. I drove as far a naas south crossed over and came back down to Kildare on the M7. Both lanes are clear of snow however the overtaking lane is still very slushy in parts. More so on the south bound side though.

The N9 (N10) to kilkenny is also clear of snow and is just wet now in both directions. There is a line of snow/slush in the middle of the road though so overtaking would still be tricky.

Thanks Shay. I am now iforming about 20 lads so they can go to work. God bless the online communication eh?

The Gish wrote: »
    Thanks Shay. I am now iforming about 20 lads so they can go to work. God bless the online communication eh?

Yep :) just note that if it freezes tonight, early morning driving will be tricky as the roads are wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Got an e-mail there from the college.

The Institute will be open on Monday 11th January 2010, however, it is expected that there will be disruption to scheduled activities due to the weather conditions.

All exams have been deferred until Monday 18th January 2010.

Evening classes will not take place on Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th January 2010 in Carlow, Wexford and Wicklow. These will be rescheduled at a later date.

Staff and students of the Institute are advised to take local factors and new weather developments into consideration when planning their journeys to and from the campuses of IT Carlow.

The Institute advises that the access roads, car parks and paths at all campuses of IT Carlow are snow covered and icy in places. Due care should be taken at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

ah well !! Our snowmans head fell off during the night. is it a sign of things to come?? big thaw on

• Advertisement

The M7 and M9 are clearer than previous days and easily passable. Just watch for the fast lane on both.
    The fast lane on the Naas dual carraigeway is lethal this morning but the other two lanes are grand.
    No problems on the M50.
    Actually raining this morning in parts near Dublin airport. God help us if it freezes tonight. Then the ice will be invisible and people will take chances. SLOW DOWN :)

Advertisement