Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG THAW***POSSIBLE FLOODING FOR TUE 11TH***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1120/weather.html

The Defence Forces have further increased their deployment due to the recent flooding.

The Defence Forces now have approx 175 troops, 24 vehicles, four flat-bottomed boats and well over 10,000 sandbags deployed.
    They now have troops deployed in Cork city, Bantry, Clonakilty, Clonmel, Ennis, Ballinasloe and, most recently, to Carlow town

must be expecting it bad here so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Incredible pictures, thanks for them.

I love the one of Grill and Grape being reflected on the water, with the blue skies and sun shining. Very ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

patrickc wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1120/weather.html

The Defence Forces have further increased their deployment due to the recent flooding.

The Defence Forces now have approx 175 troops, 24 vehicles, four flat-bottomed boats and well over 10,000 sandbags deployed.
    They now have troops deployed in Cork city, Bantry, Clonakilty, Clonmel, Ennis, Ballinasloe and, most recently, to Carlow town

must be expecting it bad here so

Gwan Carla!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I took a drive around Carlow town and surrounding areas on Friday night and tonight after work to see what conditions were like on the ground. As we know Centaur St, Haymarket, Kennedy St, Graigue Bridge, 98th St and the Milford Rd are all closed due to flooding. But there are other areas in the county affected by the recent conditions.

* The Burren is threathening to burst its banks particularly at Aldi and at The Italian Connection.

* Local access only into Leighlinbridge from the Carlow road and the car park in the Lord Bagenal is closed due to half a foot of water.

* The Bagenalstown to Leighlinbridge road is also flooded so take care or avoid.

* The river was about 2 feet from the bridge at the Royal Oak in Bagenalstown and rising.

* The Barrow track in all directions is covered by several feet of water.

With the weather to deteriorate even further over the next few days i thought that it would be useful for people to post reports of any changes in conditions in here and of course your weather pictures like Sir Digby and Morf have done. Also maybe our resident meteorologist Villain could keep us updated.

Some useful sites
    Carlow Weather
    Boards weather forum
    Met Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I were in Haymarket Area myself & UDC Car Park & Coxs Lane & Up on The Bridge Friday Night & took few photos.
    Admittedly they were Camera Phone Quality & in quasi-dark with ondly street lights to iluminate the shots.
    How do I upload to here from say my Bebo A/c or My Facebook or direct from my Laptop?
    If no way, PM me & I'll e-mail em on to whoever wants them
    Like I say they're grainey-ish but viewable enough. 7 in total.
    What gets my goat is that PP was given to build on a floodplain!
    Am I missing something? Too simplistic?

• Advertisement

How do I upload to here from say my Bebo A/c or My Facebook or direct from my Laptop?

Find the pic you want on bebo or facebook, right-click and go to view image.
    copy that link and paste it into you post.
    next ad before the link and after the link.

Done!

Alernatively, theres a "manage attachments" button under where you type your post here.
    you can upload there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's going to be very windy to extremely windy today with gusts to 70-80kmh. There is also some very heavy showers about although they aren't making it to East at the moment, I'll give a better update shortly and show how people can use the weather tools available to see what's coming

Downgraded the Wind warning a little as we will be sheltered from the worse, good sites for wind forecasts are Wind Forecasts XC Weather and WindFinder

Now if you want to see what showers or rain bands are coming you can view the Rain Radar and to see what kind weather systems are further out you can view the Satellite Images

You can see from the satellite images that center of the Low is over the North.

More updates later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The water seems to have gone down in most places i looked tonight. Burrin street was free of water and open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

After the heavy rain this morning the floods are the worst they have been in Graigue anyway, I'm not sure about the rest of the town. But the council are down here in Griague now extending planking, dropping more sandbags etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

just seen floods first hand myself today. They are worse that they were last August.

The canal at Milford is ready to burst banks. The flow of the river is getting so high.

Definately worse than last August thats for sure. There was a fierce rapid rise thismorning and its still rising ever so slowly.

The last floods on a similar scale that I can remember were in 1994 or '95. I got a ride in a tractor and trailer though for the first time since those floods today! :D

The Slaney in Tullow seemed fine this evening but been one of the fastest flowing rivers in Ireland it does tend to rise and drop quickly.

The forecast for the West and South is quite bad but Carlow will escape the worst again, however we could see 10m to 20mm falling over the next 24 -30 hours which wouldn't be a big deal normally but with floods already in place it could cause some issues.

We will also miss the worse of the winds but it will still be very windy with 60kph - 80kph gusts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Slaney is gone right down,no risk here for the moment, I think.

Had a gust of 67.6kph in the past hour, pretty windy!!! Rain band crossing the country but should miss the worse of it.

Bit of rain heading our way now, its dying out as it moves East but still going to be wet for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I'm heading to carlow tomorrow from athy. I heard that the road was flooded but passable. Can anyone shed more light on it? Should I go another way? I'm going to be parking the car in the seven oaks. Also I'm not familar with street names in carlow but I do know the place.

I haven't heard any mention of flooding on the Athy Rd.
    There's certainly no issue with getting from the Athy Rd roundabout to the 7 oaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

how is graigue looking today? any improvements from last couple of days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

iv heard its worse around the boat house.. but havent seen it my self so not sure! its gonna take a good while for it to go bak to somewhat normal again

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    how is graigue looking today? any improvements from last couple of days??

Its after dropping back a fair bit in Graigue thankfully, and seems to be continuing to drop. Maybe they're just pumpin it over to the other side of the river :p

Rained heavily all the way home from Athy tonight and is still continuing to do so. The Carlow Athy road is pretty bad at the moment with major flooding on most bends so take care.

More heavy rain forecast for this week and snow on high grounds. It froze hard last night and the roads are pretty dangerous in places.

Just heard on the radio that a woman was killed in a single vehicle crash at the Whitemills pub this morrning. Ice on the road has been blamed for the crash.

Yea heard about the crash very sad, band of showers coming in tonight so any frost will be short lived with sleet and then rain coming about 10mm but heavy bursts in places could give more

Thankfully no more flooding of late and we have a nice bit of a cool dry spell at the moment, but just a little heads up on what MAY develop next week. We will see colder weather with hard frosts where the sky is clear and there is potential for some Snow on Tuesday and Wednesday and possibly beyond tha, Its still too far out to be certain but keep an eye out over the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Hi Villain

I just looked at your website. I noticed we have hit 1020mm of rain so far this year. It may be an obvious question, but is this above normal or avarage for the year in this area?

I'm only coming up to my first years data so can't say from my data but the Met office have records and a rainfall guide http://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp

Its not over the average by much I say.

Ok as we move through the days the weather outlook now looks cold to very cold and no real sign of when it will change. We will see very hard frosts followed by cold days with temps struggling to get above 4c during the day.

At the moment I can't see much snow if any at all but it is possible although it looks more cold and dry. Stay safe people roads will be dangerous

1.7c at 2pm is pretty cold people. Just to give another update at this stage I can't see any decent snow fall if any at all although next weekend may bring potential. In some ways Carlow is well placed for snow showers as we are far enough inland to be quite a bit colder than coastal areas however showers would need to be strong to make this far inland and a NE wind usually sees the Wicklow Mountains take the impact out of showers

• Advertisement

Anyone following the weather forums will know the upcoming forecast is been debated an awful lot. My own Custom forecasting is changing slightly on each run, it will get very cold from Tomorrow on with a very cold weekend, night time temps could hit -3 to -5c, I still can't see much snow if any at the moment

Advertisement