Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG THAW***POSSIBLE FLOODING FOR TUE 11TH***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

do you know the average temp for today?
    I was freezing all day today. Still pretty cold now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

About 6c Shay and if you think today is cold, just wait until you see what it will be like from tomorrow until next week possible average temp of 1c or 2c!!!

more layers for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

any snow down there folks?

its been reported in Hacketstown

• Advertisement

1.9c with a Dew Point of 1.1c and falling all the time, showers are dying out before hitting Carlow really but roads are wet and it will freeze so ROADS MAY HAVE ICE IN THE MORNING

Tomorrow will remain very cold and that will continue all weekend with very hard frosts. But any sleet or snow will be very little if any

Wet Snow now falling

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

large flakes of snow falling out here in myshall and its starting to stick. Gonna make my journey to work interesting.

Issued a Weather Warning as I have received a few emails http://www.carlowweather.com/wxwarning.php

There was a nice flurry of snow in town tonight and it was sticking. The back roads are very dangerous. After taking my time coming home i crashed turning into my estate. No major damage apart from some shrubs :o.

I'll re sticky this for a few days.

• Advertisement

Weather Warning updated:
    Weather Warning Updated 18th Dec 5pm

Today was very cold with a max temp of 1.3c. Tomorrow will not be quite as cold although temps won't go above 3c and there is a chance of some sleet showers which will then turn to snow. These showers will be localised and are unlikely to leave any notable snow accumulations. Untreated roads will icy in the morning.

The Cold spell will continue to the middle of next week at least.

Check back for updates regularly

Already down to -.4c and an odd dusting may occur again tonight so be careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I LOVEEEEEEE the cold!

Just be careful in the cars lads, take it handy on the roundabouts and remember that it's the braking on corners that will catch most out.

Bring on the snow..bring on the frozen puddles..ahh nothing better :P

I have to say its my favourite time of year, i love cold weather. **** for driving though. Castledermot to Baltinglass is pretty nasty but most other roads are ok, dangerous in places but if you're careful then you should be alright.

Snowed there for a good long while.. Roads are lethal. Hopped my car off a curb already.. Luckily no damage was done

Black ICE

I just walked home from the pub and Black ICE is on the road and it is lethal, if you have to drive in the morning be extra careful

Ok now its really cold, my station recorded a low of -5.2 at half 7 this morning still -4c.

Roads that have not been treated will be very icy and some spots on treated roads will also be tricky. While the North and West will see Snow accumulations of 10cm to 15cm we will be lucky to see an odd dusting shower.

Stay warm and if you live near elderly ppl who are alone maybe call in and say hello and see if they need anything

Local roads are glistening and its only starting to freeze, could see a little dusting of snow but unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

the old leighlin road out by crossneen is particularly nasty. thank god bmws have decent traction control - doing 25mph and the car went into a 40 degree slide just out of the blue.

UPDATE

A trough has developed off the North Coast and is going to push down across the country there is now a risk of snow, not much but hard to give details

No snow last night the showers died out quick.

It will reamain cold and frost until St Stephens day when things will start to return to normal.

Now Advanced Warning From Met Office
    Wednesday: Daytime temperatures generally staying below freezing with frost and freezing fog persisting through the day and snow lying. Air temperatures Wednesday night may fall as low as -5 to -9 degrees

A lot of people will be driving home for xmas on Wednesday evening and I would advise extreme caution based on that forecast. More updates later

• Advertisement

Warning Snow Risk

There is an ancreased risk of Snow tomorrow and tomorrow evening with 2cm of lying snow possible. It could be sleet or rain but looks like high chance of Snow

Chance of Snow has increased now but its still going to be marginal although if I had to call it I would say 2cms of snow by morning

Up to 2.4c here with Rain but Oak Park is still 0c, Carlow could see rain turn to Snow for a while later but its so Marginal its impossible to know, higher ground will see snow for sure.

Whether its rain sleet or snow the roads will be wet followed by frost so roads will be very icy

ICE WARNING

After the rain and sleet yesterday evening we had a hard frost so roads, streets and paths are very ICY be very careful.

Another thing just to note that while the AIR temp may go above freezing and you think its not icy the ground has gotten very cold over the last week and it will take more than a few hours of 2c - 5c to fully thaw the road so don't be fooled by the temp reading on the car and think the ground is the same temp it isn't.

Now White Xmas?? Possible we will see some snow for a short time tomorrow before turning to rain although its very to predict and it could just be rain.

Also it looks like next week will see the return to very cold weather after a small rise in temps from tomorrow to Monday.

Anyone going away for a week over the holidays make sure your heating is set to come on a few times during the day and night you don't want to arrive back to a flood or everything frozen

Its going to turn very COLD again from tonight with a very hard Frost so beware of roads that aren't treated in the morning.

Now next week currently has the potential to cause serious disruption with Snow Fall and freezing temps. Check fuel supplys and ensure you have enough for 7 to 10 days.

I don't want to cause Panic as this isn't guaranteed yet but please take note of Met Éireann forecasts and Carlowweather.com as this coming weather spell has the risk of being serious to disruptive

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Villain wrote: »
    Its going to turn very COLD again from tonight with a very hard Frost so beware of roads that aren't treated in the morning.

Now next week currently has the potential to cause serious disruption with Snow Fall and freezing temps. Check fuel supplys and ensure you have enough for 7 to 10 days.

I don't want to cause Panic as this isn't guaranteed yet but please take note of Met Éireann forecasts and Carlowweather.com as this coming weather spell has the risk of being serious to disruptive

Dirt and I'm on Nights to boot..

Anyone else find it hilarious that a small bit of bad weather and the place is brought to a standstill?

Problem is our infrastructure SV, we have far too many local routes to be able to keep them gritted. The motorway's will be fine.

There is some serious differences between the weather charts so it is very hard to give an exact forecast as the position of the low pressure from the South makes a huge difference between it been Snow or Rain. Hopefully the models will sort themselves out today and we will be able to give a more confident forecast

SV wrote: »
    Anyone else find it hilarious that a small bit of bad weather and the place is brought to a standstill?

Counties like Carlow, Wicklow, Wexford and Laois are mountainous counties with towns built on steep hills, so cold, icy weather really does bring everything to a standstill.

The last time we had heavy snow i was living at home and we were unable to go anywhere for 3 or 4 days. Stick-Dan can verify that because he lived a mile up the road from me. When i was still in school i used to get plenty of days off because the roads were un drivable.

Even now that i am living in a town i still have 2 pretty steep hills to negotiate before i get to a gritted road, and if it snows over the next few days then i have to make a decision whether to be locked in or locked out.

• Advertisement

TBH Snow would probably leave the roads in a better state than rain which freezes, either way its going to be very icy

Advertisement