Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG THAW***POSSIBLE FLOODING FOR TUE 11TH***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Villain wrote: »
    TBH Snow would probably leave the roads in a better state than rain which freezes, either way its going to be very icy

Villian perhaps you can help me with this one. But why, oh why, on Christmas morning, when the temp was -2c and the DP -2.4c did it rain! Not sleet, not even icy rain, but pure rain...........its really annoying me!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The upper air temps were far far too high Croppy really.

The coming days warning has been downgraded and we are looking a rain now out until Thursday probably when the risk of Snow increases but this is changing all the time.

BTW the rain tomorrow and tomorrow night could be as much as 35mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Cheers Villian. Ah well, I hadnt got my hopes up anyway for snow, just take it as it comes I suppose :rolleyes:

Serious Advanced Weather Warning

Ok it may seem like we have saying its goes to get seriously cold for a while but the latest weather charts show a serious cold spell from Tomorrow that has no end in sight.

We are talking about -5c to -8c at night with daytime max temps of 0c to 1c i.e. frozen all the time. Added to that we have a East and North Easterly wind which will blow showers in from the Irish Sea and these WILL be Snow however it is impossible to forecast where they will fall I may get 2" of Snow in Tullow and Carlow Town get nothing or vice versa.

If you know elderly people living alone please check they have enough fuel, water and food for at least 7 days from tomorrow. This is going to be a serious cold spell the like that hasn't been seen in 20 years or more.

Incase you think I'm the only one saying this here is the Met Eireann Outlook:
    The first week in 2010 is set to be bitterly cold with a direct feed of Polar air down over Ireland. Heavy snow showers are likely and very severe frosts. Daytime temperatures will hardly rise above freezing at best with icy conditions persisting all day in many areas and nightime minima will fall below -5 degrees and in places below minus 10 degrees. Friday (New Year's Day): Heavy snow showers likely over Ulster. Sunny spells and scattered snow showers possible over Connacht and Leinster and mainly dry over Munster. Daytime temperatures around zero. Friday night minima of zero to -6 degrees. Saturday & Sunday: Some sunny spells but scattered heavy snow showers likely….. all areas at risk but most especially Ulster and Leinster. Daytime temperatures around zero dropping to between -5 and -10 at night.

• Advertisement

Mods can we get a thread title change to reflect the serious nature of what is coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Title changed. Sounds like it's going to be a rough one.

Quick update.

Snow showers off the Irish sea will become more intense this evening but it is impossible to say how far inland they will make but East Carlow is certainly at risk of seeing some snow showers and the temps will drop tonight and we will see the first of what could be 8 frosts in a row. So be careful later in the night of icy paths and roads also in the morning and we are now looking at frosty conditions until the 9th or 10th of January

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'll be driving down to Carlow this evening from Dublin, not particularly looking forward to it! I'll just take it easy and hope i can get out of work early!

You should be fine until after 10pm really and it may not be too bad until morning but local roads where snow showers hit could be dangerous

• Advertisement

I'm gigging in Athy tonight and don't finish until 2am. Will i bring a sleeping bag?

Ah you should be ok unless we get some serious showers take it nice and easy though, heading west is ok heading East is tricky, I went up to Kilquiggan for the spin they have a nice covering of snow

Ok so we had some Snow overnight in the NE of Carlow, I got about 2cm's but as you head over the Wicklow Border there is an inch in places and now we have a Fog with temps still -2c

Road update for Tullow, Main N81 is gritted and clear, Tullow to Shilleagh road is gritted as far as the Wicklow Border i.e. knocklow bridge. Local roads are covered with a thin blanket of snow and some local roads are now freezing under the snow, I was doing about 10mph and tried to turn into my house but went past by about 15 yards with ABS breaking.

Don't travel unless you have to and if you have to take it really slow. I don't expect any more snow over the weekend but we will have serious hard frosts and burst pipes etc will be a major concern.

Some photos from this morning:

Home:

fmm0zm.jpg

Local Lane:

qwwth3.jpg

Some Pheasants in a local field missed about 6 more

6p4yg0.jpg

Tullow to Shilleagh road at Liscolman turn off near Coolkenno

2mxrcwz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

travelled from carlow to dublin this morning. M9 was fine between carlow exit and kilcullen but after that the roads got extremely bad ALL the way into dublin. on the way home in early afternoon, there wasnt much of a thaw on the M9, again as far as kilcullen with things improving closer to carlow.

with freezing expected tonight on the already frozen and snowy road, im really not looking forward to travelling tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kiab

Hoping to travel from Carlow to Shillelagh today (and back). Has anyone been on the Tullow to Shillelagh road since, I know probably less passable since it froze again last night since those pictures?

I had a record low this morning of -8.1c so very hard frost but the sun has been up a while and its back to -3.2c. I haven't been out since I took those photos so not sure what they are like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kiab

Cheers Villian. Will take it slow and see I can always turn back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I have to drive up tomorrow from Dublin..hopefully it will have thawed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

huge improvement on the road to and from dublin today. parts of the M9 around kilcullen were the worst but the rest of the way was fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Guys

Anybody got any idea what the roads are like from Ballon to Blanchardstown?

Back to work tomorrow and wondering what the roads are like for traveling on. heard somewhere today that the M7 was a bit dicey around Kilcullen.

• Advertisement

Its a day by day thing Tommy, roads that aren't treated tonight will be icy and then further in the week Met Eireann are saying some snow showers

mmm lovely, looks will have to just check the state of things in the morning and see what way things are, am lucky enough though to have the option of working from home later in the week which isn't too bad even if we do have snow

I'm supposed to be going to Enniskillen in the morning. Not making a decision until the morning though.

Main roads should be fine will just be slower http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm is showing most main roads already treated.

Hi Guys

Update on roads to Dublin from Carlow, Not too bad once you make it onto the Motorway but be cautious if in the overtaking lane from Kilcullen onwards as there is some snow\ice on the RHS that reduces the usable "good" area of the lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Its snowing now down around Ballon and the snow is sticking to the N80.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

snowing here in Carlow town too and in Tullow. Its light but its constant

about 1cm in Tullow roads are lethal had bad skid near house but hit nothing thankfully. Its impossible to forecast what is coming although more snow is certainly possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

not looking forward to driving to work tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Outside after shower this evening:

dsc00017vs.jpg

Local Lane:

dsc00016es.jpg

Main Tullow - Castledermot road:

dsc00015av.jpg

Advertisement