Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG THAW***POSSIBLE FLOODING FOR TUE 11TH***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Reasonable fall in Tullow, will be fun a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Villain wrote: »

Main Tullow - Castledermot road:

dsc00015av.jpg

Pay and display on that road now is it?
    That's a bit harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

lol I was going that slow I needed a parking ticket lol

Ok I don't like trying to forecast Snow because some people never forget if you get it wrong and always forget if you get it right. Anyway there is increasing risk for Carlow seeing Snow tonight and tomorrow evening and night possibly 3cm's in places, but these will be hit and miss so I can't say where exactly it may fall but it is a risk and temps will drop very low making roads very tricky.

Burst pipes in houeses are been reported locally remember that while temps in the house may be ok temps in the attic can be much lower so if pipes aren't insulated you could have trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've been looking at a few different forecasts and i think i will edit the thread title.

You can all thankblame me

• Advertisement

Cheers super-rush, certainly a high risk anyway and we already have a light covering in Tullow and Rathoe. I'll give an update in the morning if I get a chance.

Increase that area to Ballon, Kildavin, Fenagh, Myshall & i think Borris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

super-rush wrote: »
    I've been looking at a few different forecasts and i think i will edit the thread title.

You can all thankblame me

If I don't wake up snowed in tomorrow I'm sending a complaint to the boards corporation.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    If I don't wake up snowed in tomorrow I'm sending a complaint to the boards corporation.
    lol good man Bob, snowed in might be a relative term though

Bob_Harris wrote: »

They'll just send it back!

No snow in Carlow atm. Very light shower earlier but its seems to be gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Just a road warning. According to todays Independent, Carlow County Council will run out of grit today. If thats the case a lot more care will be needed on the roads.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gritting-the-roads----a-county-by-county-brehtml

Also a story from todays Irish Times on Carlow's gritting efforts.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0105/1224261663638.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

taken from AA

so those commuting be warned

KILDARE/CARLOW* Very icy around Naas on the M7 and the Blessington Rd (R410) and the Ballymore Eustace Rd (R411). • Icy conditions on the Kildare/Rathangan Rd (R401). • Icy on the N78 Athy to Kilcullen Rd and on the M9/N9 from Kilcullen to Carlow where the right lane is covered in snow. • *CARLOW* Reports of cars stuck on the Kildavin/Myshal Rd (R724).

UPDATE
    The roads around Tullow are very dangerous, a Tesco truck got stuck on the Castledermot Rd out of Tullow and I stopped and used a 25kg bag of Salt I had in the boot and got it going again but decided to turn back after that. It is -2.3c at the moment so it is freezing hard.

There is a small risk of Snow showers this evening but we will see very low Temps today and tonight will see a very hard frost. More of a forecast later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

The new motorway from Carlow to Kilcullen was down to one lane this morning because of the snow and black ice on the road but did this stop "egits" passing at over 100kph while everyone else was down to 80kph? NOOOOOO
    Does these idiots not realise that it is easy to go fast.... its the stopping thats a little difficult. If they dont care for their own safety could they spare a thought for other road users and their families.
    Who were these idiots ..... young drivers in their road masters (go faster cars with the speed stripes etc etc)
    I have always taken the side of the younger driver and have always said that everyone deserves a chance but after this morning I dont know.

People.
    Some drivers do not know how to drive in the snow ... so slow down for Gods sake.
    Even the Naas dual carrigeway was down to 2 lanes in places. The M50 to the airport was slightly better but black ice was present.
    It is to continue I believe.

Ok bit of an update again we have a chance of some snow showers again later tonight early morning but its less likely than last nights.

Its already -1.8c so frost will cause icy roads and roads around Tullow are very very dangerous. More later.......

anyone trying to get from Tullow to Carlow, go via Ballon. The Wexford rd was treated this morning and was clear of ice this evening. They get worse the closer to get to Tullow though.

Good tip Shay, bus stuck on a hill between Tullow and Carlow earlier, the roads around Tullow are just a sheet of ice now especially local roads, my lane is crazy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

what's the road from Ballon to Tullow like though?

Good. Well, it was at half 4 this afternoon. I'm sure its gotten worse since then as the temperatures have been dropping and they'll be starting to freeze again.

Just be careful as you come into Tullow as they don't seem to have treated the road all the way. Just kinda to the outskirts. Around Laburium Lodge is a bit dodgey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

M9 and M7 heading to Dublin are fairly clear with some black ice on both roads. The M50 is good but I would be careful.
    The M9 just after the M7 turn-off on the way back from Dublin yesterday was deadly in the overtaking lane and I imagine it will be the same this evening. Caution is needed here.

Snowing in Dublin at the moment (10.13) and is due to continue to 5cm.

• Advertisement

A few flurries down around Ballon at the moment.

Snowing steadily in Ballon right now.

Whiteout here now as well.

Pegging snow in Tullow right now.

Attempted to go to Carlow and only got to the entrance to the estate. Visibility is very poor. Blizzard conditions here in Bunclody.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

starting to get heavy here in town now aswell

THE AREA KNOWN LOCALLY AS BOGGAN HILL ON THE CARLOW-WEXFORD ROAD AT THE FORGE RESTAURANT(BEFORE BALLON) IS IMPASSIBLE AT THE MOMENT GOING UP OR COMING DOWN THE HILL. I'VE SPOKEN TO THREE PEOPLE WHO HAD TO TURN BACK.

super-rush wrote: »
    THE AREA KNOWN LOCALLY AS BOGGAN HILL ON THE CARLOW-WEXFORD ROAD AT THE FORGE RESTAURANT(BEFORE BALLON) IS IMPASSIBLE AT THE MOMENT GOING UP OR COMING DOWN THE HILL. I'VE SPOKEN TO THREE PEOPLE WHO HAD TO TURN BACK.

Most if not all of the N80 is in a heap. Ballon village a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi All,

I'm in Dub at the mo - due to head to Carlow now - what are the main roads like now - m50, m7, m9/n9.... Will be going Carlow south exit off m9 - live very near super valu in Carlow - would I be able to make it?

Advertisement