Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG THAW***POSSIBLE FLOODING FOR TUE 11TH***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

xeroshero wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm in Dub at the mo - due to head to Carlow now - what are the main roads like now - m50, m7, m9/n9.... Will be going Carlow south exit off m9 - live very near super valu in Carlow - would I be able to make it?

My better half is in Dublin and I've told her to stay put. If Carlow and Kildare are low on grit and with the heaviness of the snowfall it could be tricky. Down in Ballon there is no let up so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

good 2 inches of nice snow here outside Ballon at the moment.

In regards the roads if you have a chance to stay put then do so as Leincar said.

Even with gritting there has been such a downpour of snow in last 60 mins that roads would be dangerous anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If you aren't home by now STAY WHERE YOU ARE

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

super-rush wrote: »
    THE AREA KNOWN LOCALLY AS BOGGAN HILL ON THE CARLOW-WEXFORD ROAD AT THE FORGE RESTAURANT(BEFORE BALLON) IS IMPASSIBLE AT THE MOMENT GOING UP OR COMING DOWN THE HILL. I'VE SPOKEN TO THREE PEOPLE WHO HAD TO TURN BACK.

Wow I am glad I wasnt able to get out of my estate this morning, I would have had to take that road. Much better to be stuck at home here than on a hill in Ballon.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Anyone been on the Tullow to Carlow road? I can't get out of work for about another hour. Whats me chances of getting home:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Approx 2 inches in Tullow and still falling heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

mickos wrote: »
    Anyone been on the Tullow to Carlow road? I can't get out of work for about another hour. Whats me chances of getting home:confused:

Bad and getting worse, there just seems to be no let up in the snow at all, even travelling around Tullow is treacherous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Villain wrote: »
    UPDATEA Tesco truck got stuck on the Castledermot Rd out of Tullow and I stopped and used a 25kg bag of Salt I had in the boot and got it going again

And there ya were with the big smug head on ya thinking "I knew that'd come in handy some day" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

It's very very heavy in central Co. Carlow now, heard schools are closed til monday.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I derive a certain amount of enjoyment out of driving on ice and snow, aside from the constant threat of death that is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Thanks all - I've been on to work - I'm not going anywhere... Roads are very bad in Dub too - all traffic moving at around 10kmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I got a call from my mother to go an collect her in Tullow(she's petrified of driving in this weather) got only as far as the guards barracks in Bunclody. Traffic is backed up from Boggan hill to Bunclody due to a crash. Several trucks abandoned on the hill and in the town. I was forced to turn around and go home and what is usually a five minute journey ended up taking over an hour. Do not travel unless completely necessary. Guards on point duty in the town also.

Reports of the Enniscorthy road from Scarawalsh(Junction joining N80 to N11) closed by the guards.

On a side note(RANT)

If i catch the little b*****ds who were throwing snowballs at cars in the middle of Bunclody i won't be held responsible for my actions.

Boggan Hill is blocked completely on both sides. Tullow to Ballon is passable but extreme caution is advised.

In case people are wondering, i've been on the phonetalking people who i know are on these roads at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

anyone catch the forecast for tonight. I.ve to head to dublin at 5am tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rant#2

There's a group of 20 or so 'people' and i use that term lightly, standing at the junction in the middle of Bunclody town throwing snowballs at anything that moves or doesn't move as the case is at the minute. They are barricading people in their vehicles and the nearest car is in Gorey. There are three guards in the barracks and they won't go down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cars getting stuck going up Nurney hill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Lads please stay away from Bagenalstown if at all possible, i've worked on the royal oak road all day and only an idiot would attempt an unnecessary journey on that road, please don't put your life and others lives at risk. Car's could not make the little hill at the royal oak kilkenny road junction, cars were backed up for an hour without moving an inch, be careful please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

when i was walking from work cars were slipping and slidding all over Carlow town. so much traffic..a van literally slid back down the hill at the bridge..

walking is actually much easier on the snow then the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

cars also getting stuck on the slope up from the garda barracks down from leo's. shayk helped push about 4 cars stuck there when we were out walking the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Yeah came through the Royal Oak a couple of hours ago and it was a disaster. My brpther left work in Carlow at 5, and arrived in Bagenalstown, 10 miles away, at 6.50. Just an example of how bad the roads are. If it freezes tonight, which i think it is meant to, the road will simply be undriveable

• Advertisement

Rant#2

There's a group of 20 or so 'people' and i use that term lightly, standing at the junction in the middle of Bunclody town throwing snowballs at anything that moves or doesn't move as the case is at the minute. They are barricading people in their vehicles and the nearest car is in Gorey. There are three guards in the barracks and they won't go down.

I was probably walking past you at that time. So dangerous. And my four year old avoided being hit by a rock hard snowball thrown by a grown man by mere inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i wouldnt go near the old leighlin road either - it's pretending to be the side of a bottle and most cars cant get up the hill on the bends. I had to dump my van halfway home and walk the rest (let me know if you spy anyone robbing a green Sprinter)

Looby_Loo wrote: »
    I was probably walking past you at that time. So dangerous. And my four year old avoided being hit by a rock hard snowball thrown by a grown man by mere inches.

Well i live out the Kiltealy road and everyone of them live in my estate. I got out of the car and told them to stop only to be bombarded with snowballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Nead21 wrote: »
    cars also getting stuck on the slope up from the garda barracks down from leo's. shayk helped push about 4 cars stuck there when we were out walking the dog

Im wondering if I met shayk earlier .... I gave a hand pushing a merc and then my van wouldnt move and some kind souls helped me get it moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Alsolute asshole!! ****es like him just just **** Off and DIE!

iamhunted wrote: »
    Im wondering if I met shayk earlier .... I gave a hand pushing a merc and then my van wouldnt move and some kind souls helped me get it moving.

I was wearing a brown snowboarding jacket with the hood up and a peaked cap underneath the hood.

this jacket: http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2432/248/5/743439409/n743439409_1367680_7617.jpg

Well i live out the Kiltealy road and everyone of them live in my estate. I got out of the car and told them to stop only to be bombarded with snowballs.

I live up Hospital Hill and it was bad enough trying to get up/ down there in one piece without being pelted at the same time.
    Two middleaged women were walking out your way earlier with their shopping and these grown men chased them to pelt them with snowballs.

I live up Hospital Hill

Aptly named for this weather, I'm sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Anyone hear that the Bagenalstown to Borris road is closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Anyone hear that the Bagenalstown to Borris road is closed?

Hi, yes I've heard that 3 Bagnelstown roads are closed. Bagnelstown to Borris, Bagnelstown to Fenagh and Bagnelstown to Ballinkillen although I could be wrong about the third. Will just check :o.

Advertisement