Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG THAW***POSSIBLE FLOODING FOR TUE 11TH***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

super-rush wrote: »
    Rant#2

There's a group of 20 or so 'people' and i use that term lightly, standing at the junction in the middle of Bunclody town throwing snowballs at anything that moves or doesn't move as the case is at the minute. They are barricading people in their vehicles and the nearest car is in Gorey. There are three guards in the barracks and they won't go down.

That's because it's a waste of their time, i know it's hard to take but kids will be kids and the guards have other **** to be doing than trying to catch people throwing snowballs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

*CARLOW* The N80 Carlow/Wexford is in very poor condition. Heavy snowfall in Carlow town. The M9 is down to one lane both ways between Kilcullen and Carlow. The N81 is impassable between Tullow and Bunclody. The Borris/Bagenalstown Rd (R705) is closed

From AA roadwatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

super-rush wrote: »
    Boggan Hill is blocked completely on both sides. Tullow to Ballon is passable but extreme caution is advised.

In case people are wondering, i've been on the phonetalking people who i know are on these roads at the moment.
    I can see the line of traffic over there from my house. I'm hoping there is no kids stuck in cars. Might walk over
    If i can help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

That's because it's a waste of their time, i know it's hard to take but kids will be kids and the guards have other **** to be doing than trying to catch people throwing snowballs.

I don't agree with the kids being kids line because there are grown men throwing them aswell.

They said they have no car as the only car they have is in Gorey so its not as if they can go and do anything other than answer the phone or do some filing.

If someone gets injured or a widscreen is broken will we put that down to kids being kids as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

the roads are lethal in town, i had a wee tip coming down the brownshill road, to the woman i hit if your reading this , thanks for being such a lady about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

So bored

Can you flip it another few times, or flip the other way. That was cool... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Emm my station just broke a record, low temp of -9.5c and it still falling quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Villain wrote: »
    Emm my station just broke a record, low temp of -9.5c and it still falling quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude, Well done on KCLR. Is there any radio station you haven't been on?

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    dude, Well done on KCLR. Is there any radio station you haven't been on?
    Emm I'm sure there is lol, did you hear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

And I thought I was doing well with a -7.1c. That would be a fresh evening then.

Emm I'm sure there is lol, did you hear it?

Yeah, I was just getting home when you came on.

just passed -10.3c, Baltinglass is reporting -10,7c

just passed -10.3c, Baltinglass is reporting -10,7c

Are the temps going so low so quickly because of snowfields or is it that cold generally? Would your location be much colder than the centre of Tullow for example?

leincar wrote: »
    Are the temps going so low so quickly because of snowfields or is it that cold generally? Would your location be much colder than the centre of Tullow for example?
    The Snow fields are the cause stops the heat radiating from the ground, urban areas will always be warmer hence why Met Eireann moved the station from kilkenny to Oak Park in Carlow

OMG Villian, it just hit -11.2 mad stuff

I just checked the temp gauge on my car. Its only -2.5 in Carlow :(

Its the Snow fields, radiation etc bit technical but basically with snow fields the air temps can be very low

Villian,
    I'm watching the website with unease as I'm watching your temp. decrease.
    Have you any idea what the low temp in carlow is on record?
    It's currently at -12.5 on your site
    I have a calibrated Vaisala unit I use for my job and it's reading -9.2 in Ballon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Its -1 here.

kwalshe wrote: »
    Villian,
    I'm watching the website with unease as I'm watching your temp. decrease.
    Have you any idea what the low temp in carlow is on record?
    It's currently at -12.5 on your site
    I have a calibrated Vaisala unit I use for my job and it's reading -9.2 in Ballon.
    Don't know as the Oak Park only came into being in 2008, Kilkenny was in use before that there record is -14.1 degrees Celsius on 2 January 1979

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

oak park -5 now according to met.ie

Yep and N81 Baltinglass Jan 06, 22:40 -11.7° C. from NRA

God Villain you have a good fan club tonight over on weather.

lol I see that Leincar funny isn't it how a hobby can take off lol

Mother of God this is cold. Villain has -14.7c, Oak Park right now is -11c and down in Ballon I've got -12.4c.

Mind yourselves on the roads, the grit will not work properly at these temperatures.

-16.1c Overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Update From AARoadwatch:

Poor conditions on many most routes. • The M9 is down to one lane both ways between Kilcullen and Carlow. • The N81 Tullow/Bunclody Rd is impassable. • Very poor on the N80 Carlow/Wexford Rd. • Poor on county routes; the Borris/Bagenalstown Rd (R705) is closed.

I would also suspect that boggan hill outside Ballon would be a no go area also.

• Advertisement

has anyone ventured out this morning? Are the roads around the town still like an ice rink?

Advertisement