Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So gentlemen.. do you still jump the walls etc

• 14-11-2009 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Sitting here looking at The Late, Late Show and during the Ad break I seen an Ad for Flora...

And was thinking, dammit I still jump walls and fences. I can still wheelie my bike and can throw a stone further than my son and 'shinny' up a lamp post.

What do YOU do to keep the advancing years at bay?

Btw, I'm 43.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Sitting here looking at The Late, Late Show and during the Ad break I seen an Ad for Flora...

And was thinking, dammit I still jump walls and fences. I can still wheelie my bike and can throw a stone further than my son and 'shinny' up a lamp post.

What do YOU do to keep the advancing years at bay?

Btw, I'm 43.

i can do a 46 pedal wheelie, yeah, come down off your lamp post and beat that.
    and i can throw a rock farther than tiger woods can hit the little white ball.
    and what the fuck are ya doing shinnying up lamp posts at 43 by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Teenage kids etc - do the looking for obscure heavy metal CDs when needed.

Will listen to Alice Cooper on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

yeah i still got a sping in my step :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It's one of the things I actually really hate about society, that running and jumping isn't more common, if you are seen running and aren't wearing track gear people assume you are either a poor time keeper and late or are running from someone.

Don't really have a gate to jump over, but when going down a few flights of stairs I'll usually hold onto the banisters slide down and then try and make the flight in one leaping jump.

It's also fun to hold onto the banister on the bend in a flight of stairs and run horizontal around the side walls (it's actually very easy to do) Only really do it because nobody is watching.

Don't do it as much as I used to, although I went on an Adventure holiday in Scotland a few weeks ago which was pretty much 7 solid days of jumping, diving, hanging off and climbing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm probably too young to want to feel young again.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    It's also fun to hold onto the banister on the bend in a flight of stairs and run horizontal around the side walls (it's actually very easy to do) Only really do it because nobody is watching.

i'm going to be caught trying this badboy in the next few days

longshanks wrote: »

I dunno -he could be showing off or he may be setting a standard for the new generation of females. So this is what an alpha male is really like. Jealous much:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Although I get the impression your trying to take the piss, I'll answer.

I was telling my daughter about lamp post swings, kids don't use 'em anymore. And how we used to race up lamp posts (shinnying!).

So to demo I done it, its kinda sad that it was the first time the kids seen someone shinny up a post before..

Kids don't climb tree's anymore (where are all the tree's gone?) or see who can jump off the highest wall!.

I think you are bang on Makikomi

My daughter 16 now has great memories of petting lambs in the Curragh , sailing paper boats in the streams of Blessington lakes and fishing for crabs with string and chicken wings in malahide.

So i get what you are saying about when have you last done something fun free and happy.

Its a good feeling and we actually admire the quality of life ofpeople who do these things as part of life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I still climb trees any chance I get. Usually when I go fishing. Have lunch up a tree. I have a preference for chestnut trees.Good branch spacing:) Fall out of them on occasion too mind. Not so good. Broken ribs and all that. My dad was climbing trees at over 80, so I've a bit to go yet. He was fitter than I am when he was my age though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Although I get the impression your trying to take the piss, I'll answer.

I was telling my daughter about lamp post swings, kids don't use 'em anymore. And how we used to race up lamp posts (shinnying!).

So to demo I done it, its kinda sad that it was the first time the kids seen someone shinny up a post before..

Kids don't climb tree's anymore (where are all the tree's gone?) or see who can jump off the highest wall!.

What part of dublin are you from that you needed to shinny Drainpipes and Poles?

CDfm wrote: »
    I dunno -he could be showing off or he may be setting a standard for the new generation of females. So this is what an alpha male is really like. Jealous much:D

its eating me up inside. used to be a dab hand at shinnying up the lampposts when i was younger. made the swings too. the laugh you could have with a length of rope and a piece of 2 x 4 for a seat. i also remember walking an hour or 2 into the countryside cos we'd have it on good authority that there would be a tree with good branches to make a swing. which usually ended in disaster when about 6 of us would try get on the swing all at once.
    i also seem to remember we'd get to the top of the lamppost and do that thing where you tuck your legs over the bar and hang hands free, although i could be imagining that one, i know we used do it on goalposts though.

its eating me up inside. used to be a dab hand at shinnying up the lampposts when i was younger. made the swings too. the laugh you could have with a length of rope and a piece of 2 x 4 for a seat. i also remember walking an hour or 2 into the countryside cos we'd have it on good authority that there would be a tree with good branches to make a swing. which usually ended in disaster when about 6 of us would try get on the swing all at once.
    i also seem to remember we'd get to the top of the lamppost and do that thing where you tuck your legs over the bar and hang hands free, although i could be imagining that one, i know we used do it on goalposts though.

That hung over water!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Yea, I still regularily hop the fence on my way out at the weekend. And shimmy poles(if noone's looking. Used to climb trees alot, loved it. Dont get to do it so much anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Wibbs wrote: »
    I still climb trees any chance I get. Usually when I go fishing. Have lunch up a tree. I have a preference for chestnut trees.Good branch spacing:) Fall out of them on occasion too mind. Not so good. Broken ribs and all that. My dad was climbing trees at over 80, so I've a bit to go yet. He was fitter than I am when he was my age though.

That reminds me of my Dad, we used to go walking through the farmland near our house on Sunday mornings, we'd be gone for hours and i can still identify any tree by it's leaves, fruit or bark:). One time i pointed out some really big chessies:) at the top of a chestnut tree, way outside the range of a thrown stick so he climbed to the top and shook the branches until the chessies fell, he was well into his forties at that stage. happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I know I was climbing trees up until I was 11/12, and I'm only 20 now.

Do they not anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, there was a pedestrian exit in our estate but the locals got it blocked up as they were concerned about youths in the nearby estates. Bunch of snobs:mad: They don't care, they all have cars or never walk to a bus stop

Wall is maybe 2 and a half metres high. We have an old keg to jump on and a traffic light control box on the other side.
    With a heavy bag of shopping it takes some doing. And on wet evenings it's slippery to pull yourself onto control box, yep I'll fallen onto the footpath a few times

Alternative is a 7-8 minute walk at least

What part of dublin are you from that you needed to shinny Drainpipes and Poles?

Ballymun, I never said anything about drainpipes or poles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

There's a standard waist height railing outside my kids school that I vault over on a regular basis. Herself (who always takes the long way round) always says the same thing "one day you'll do that and come a cropper..." Maybe one day but not for a long long time I hope!

It is a bit weird. Where I grew up you had trees woods and ruins.

I cant get the whole lets block up shortcuts thing. If anything they should be opening them up to encourage people to walk.

I lived in Limerick years ago and the wall onto a private estate that lead to the pub and shop got blocked up and a few of the locals knocked it thru with sledgehammers.

• Advertisement

Ballymun, I never said anything about drainpipes or poles.

Was just joking :( Keeps head down and runs.

On the other hand, I still climb poles...... http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4151/035tf.jpg

But I do alot of real climbing around the gaff just for a laugh!

I am thinking of getting into Parkour or Free Running proper, but so far have been too lazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Climbing trees is something I really enjoy doing :o Thankfully, I've never fallen out of one...yet!

I do like to hop walls and barriers but to be honest, I've done it recently only to realise that I was getting strange stares from other adults, so I might just do that in private from now on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

57 next May..and a Prostate Cancer Survivor.

This is me two weeks ago. I reckon that counts as jumping the walls - actually we had to jump a stream 10 times in total!

Btw, I didn't win!

Condo131 wrote: »

This is me two weeks ago. I reckon that counts as jumping the walls - actually we had to jump a stream 10 times in total!

Btw, I didn't win!

Great Pic and congrats on beating your illness - did you loose the javelin:D

Just thinking - this must surely be about things that excite you and keep you grounded and young. I mean if bike riding or the next Mettalica album made life worthwhile at 17 why should you grow out of it.

I know a guy that must be 80 and got a degree in Trinity two years back. Fcek - I couldnt concentrate enough to do that.

Condo131 wrote: »

Btw, I didn't win!

Thats brilliant, and well done.

Here's a photo of some of the lads from one of the Judo clubs I train with.

In the photo is three generations of Judoka (Judo fighters).

Tommy, his son Ben and his grandson Karl.

Tommy is 70 and fitter & stronger than most guys 50 yrs younger!. He's been training Judo 40 years.

In the center of the photo is John Douglas, John is also 70. He's teaching Judo 50 yrs and is our chief instructor, and fit as a fiddlers elbow.

I'm in the white Judo suit, but I'm only a young lad of 43 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

In a bid to recapture my yoof I took out my skateboard from my folks garage after 17 years, attempted to hop off the curb and ended up landing on my arse giving myself an 8 inch bruise on my ar$e and thigh. Bah!

At 17 you would have gotten back up -whats wrong with ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm only 24 so not exactly an auld fella yet but I still need to turn back the clock a little bit to go back to my climbing days.

I grew up on a cul-de-sac. Top of the cul-de-sac was a 5/6 foot wall on top of which were a load of Evergreens and about 10 feet of my friend's garden, then an 8/9 foot wall up to a wasteland by a hurling pitch.

We used to play socced against that wall and sure the ball would always end up up a tree. We thought nothing of taking a little run and hopping up the wall. Then you'd be up the tree in a few seconds, knock the ball down, hop out of the tree, hop down off the wall and get on with the game! And if you took a particularly bad shot and "canted" the ball into the wasteland you'd have to go climb the higher wall and get it.

So me and my brothers were reliving our younger days a year or so ago and idn't the ball get stuck up one of those same trees and didn't I hop up as if I'd never stopped.

I can't remember the last time I saw a gang of young fellas jumping walls. We used to use them as a shortcut. That particular wall in my friend's garden shaved 10/15 minutes off a walk into town; you just had to jump a few fences and gates on the way. But I'd bet half the kids in the estate nowadays don't even know that shortcut exists!

Advertisement