Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace Cracked

Options
  • 14-11-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

We've just moved into new house there for one month and the fireplace is cracked: in 3 places! Its since we started lighting fires: anyway we bought from developer BUT the houses were built two years ago. I'm just wondering does anyone know if we can get him to replace it or who do we go to... like if it was a year later it would be okay, but a month is a bit ridiculous!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Have you tried getting in touch with the developer (if they are still in business and havent gone bankrupt yet) - or looking into whether you have homebond gaurantee.

I am not an expert but to be entirely safe I wouldnt use the fire till you get a survey of the chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

cyning,
    where there any heat gaps in the hearth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

God I'm going to sound stupid but I have no idea: how would I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Is the crack easily spotted?
    If so did you get an Engineer / Surveyor to check out the place before you bought it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

just curious, would that be covered by homebond insurance???? coz i have same problem, and i thin builders are out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The crack only appeared after we lit a few fires. The guy who installed the fireplaces is coming out this evening so fingers crossed. I did have an engineer check it out before we bught

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Fireplaces usually crack because they were not suitable for fires :eek:

If its a one pce heart it should have not had a fire lit in.

If its a 2 pce it will be suitable.

Easy way to tell. There will be a vertical line in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

vHOST wrote: »
    just curious, would that be covered by homebond insurance???? coz i have same problem, and i thin builders are out of business.

No. Homebond is for major structural defects only.

Advertisement