Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless backup drive

Options
  • 14-11-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi there ,
    I am looking to setup a network where my laptop will automatically save to a an external drive wirelessly (is that a word?).

I want to keep the external hard drive next to my modem (wireless eircom netopia)

Is it possible to connect the external hard drive to my wireless eircom modem via a network cable (most drives now seem to work by USB) ?

Or do i need a seperate wireless router to connect the drive?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I hasten to add firstly that I am no expert on this but if you want to use the netopia then you will have to buy a hd with an ethernet connection rather than a usb. for example:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10007

It should also mean installing software on your laptop to cover the networking aspect.

Google around for using network drives or maybe some people here will be able to make further suggestions for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skuby1968

There are adaptors for connecting usb drives to lan ports

a usb/ lan adaptor

Works like a usb/lan print server

Then you could put the drive into your router/switch and backup to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

How about a hard drive with wireless. Excellent for data backup as well as storing DVDs etc. The fact that you can place it anywhere within your house or office is more secure (though not as secure as online backup), probably eliminates the theft risk (hide it under the stairs) and lowers the fire/flooding risk.
    See this for more info http://www.wirelessharddrive.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I have the same setup at home.

I bought a WD NAS drive for about €100, plugged it into my wireless router ( your netopia in this case ) and then just use a backup programme to run and save it to a path on the WD. Windows does not care how you connect as long as there is an IP or similar path...

Easy and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

skuby1968 wrote: »
    There are adaptors for connecting usb drives to lan ports

a usb/ lan adaptor

Works like a usb/lan print server

Then you could put the drive into your router/switch and backup to it.

Really? Could You link to one as I've never heard of these?

• Advertisement
Advertisement