Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could watch one moment live

• 14-11-2009 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

If someone told you that you could go back in time to watch one moment in irish soccer history again LIVE for the first time again as if ya never saw it, which moment would you pick.

I was thinkin maybe houghton against italy in 94 but then i though, definately packie bonner in 90 against romania! That save, has to be the most famous irish moment, and it also got us further than we've ever been in a world cup since!

packie.jpg

hopefully we'll be sayin next time that we'd love to go back and see Keanes hat trick against the french in paris on 19/11/09!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Houghtons goal against England Euro 88 .It was like 800 years washed away in that glorious moement ,even if it was a scot who scored the goal :D

I was in the isle of mann at the time watching on tv but would have loved to have being in the stadium that day .It was a new beginning in Irish International soccer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

David O'Learys peno definitley....I was 12 and when it went in I just jumped up and down on the one spot for 5 minutes. People screaming all around me. Ridiculous feeling, hopefully will experience similar next summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I was thinkin maybe houghton against italy in 94

Even though I was lucky enough to be there for that..
    but then i though, definately packie bonner in 90 against romania!

..even if I hadnt, I'd defo still pick this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

have to be houghton in 88
    it's the only one i dont remember happening

o'leary and keane against germany run a close second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Alan McLoughlin in Belfast.

I've never experienced anything like it before or since. Firstly, getting to a radio and waiting on the result of the Spain and Denmark match from Seville (Spain 1-0 Denmark) and then having to get out of windsor park and belfast alive. I'd gladly do it all over again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

McAteers winner versus Holland was pretty special too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    McAteers winner versus Holland was pretty special too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Got to be the greatest goal of all time (for various reasons) by Maradona against England (not the handball), then id like to see Messi's version for Barca.

Mad Messi scored two identical goals in the same game, anywho. My mistake, Messi's werent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Champions League 1999, for obvious reasons :)

Or else seeing Roberto Carlos' banana shot, just for the sheer amazement of how he hit it.

Or one Cristiano Ronaldos freekick against Portsmouth, y'know...that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Probably the 99 CL final yeah. I can only imagine what it was like in the United section when those last 2 goals went in. Probably pandemonium I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My jaw dropped when I watched this at the time -

I loved Maine Road -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The_B_Man wrote: »
    If someone told you that you could go back in time to watch one moment in irish soccer history again LIVE for the first time again as if ya never saw it, which moment would you pick.

I was thinkin maybe houghton against italy in 94 but then i though, definately packie bonner in 90 against romania! That save, has to be the most famous irish moment, and it also got us further than we've ever been in a world cup since!

packie.jpg

hopefully we'll be sayin next time that we'd love to go back and see Keanes hat trick against the french in paris on 19/11/09!!:D

Despite his recent comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My jaw dropped when I watched this at the time -

I love that goal, you can see the 'keeper is in shock after it goes in

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

orourkeda wrote: »
    Alan McLoughlin in Belfast.

Over any moment, I think re-living that would be the best.

I've never jumped so high in my life as I did in the moments after the ball went in. I was only 10 years old, maybe not even that and I cleared the couch! 0 Faults as they say! :D

I was being minded by my aunt at the time. She didn't understand the gravity of the situation at all and didn't care for my antics in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

Robbie Keane's beauty against Germany WC 02'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dalymount 1961 Pats won the FAI cup then, i dont beleive it happened so want to go back in time and verify that we actually did win a cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Houghton against England , with big Jack celebrations = priceless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

12th Jan 2003, Tolka Park

The Save of the Century by Ashley Bayes and then the last minute goal by Bobby Ryan and Bohs were Champions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Trilla wrote: »

i find that hilarious every time i see it, coz me mate from secondary school at the time is the bloke in the crowd behind the goal wearin the yellow (liverpool away?) jersey!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cantona Vs the Spice Boys FA Cup fina goal.

Maradona in 86 - any goal.

Injury Time 99 CL final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'd love to have been at Istanbul in 05, emotions must've been so incredibly high after being so low just 45 minutes in. It's would've been like going to hell and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Tough one for me,any of the derby wins ;) , The play-off final v Gillingham which at the time was one of the greatest comebacks ever until this,nothing the little ferret Rob styles could do was gonna stop us winning!

In Irish terms,would probably be Ray houghton v Italy,I remember that evening in my aunty's house like it was yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Come on Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

lordgoat wrote: »
    Cantona Vs the Spice Boys FA Cup fina goal.

Maradona in 86 - any goal.

Injury Time 99 CL final

You and your fellow 99ers. What part of that is an Irish soccer moment as per the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Was at the Holland game when McAteer scored. Unbelieveable when it went in.

Would loved to have been at the Italy game in 94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd go back and watch Roy Keane play Portugal at Landsdowne in June 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't remember the Bonnie save (I was 6), but I remember O'Leary scoring clear as day :)

For me however, it'd be Barcelona, Nou Camp, 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    I can't remember the Bonnie save (I was 6), but I remember O'Leary scoring clear as day :)

I thought you were older than that:eek:

I remember that shoot-out clear as day, I was eleven.

PHB wrote: »
    For me however, it'd be Barcelona, Nou Camp, 1999.

that isn't Irish soccer.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

When did Maradona,Bergkhamp, & Man United become Irish? I think I missed something there.

I was old enough to rember Houghtons goal vs Italy 94 WC which was absolutley amazing. It's probally my earliest footballing memory along with the Mexicans crazy goalkeeping jeresy.

But Bonners save vs Romania looked like the most euphoric moment so I'd have to pick that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Des wrote: »
    I thought you were older than that:eek:

I remember that shoot-out clear as day, I was eleven.

My youthful good looks are failing me it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

irish soccer history again LIVE

Robbie Keanes vs Germany because of the sheer tension and relief!! Watched it at work and the roof lifted off the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Seeing as others have nominated moments from non-Irish football. I'm gonna have to go ahead and say the final whistle of the 1966 World Cup final :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

There few but the Robbie Keane goal against Germany for me was just unreal.

Was watching it at home, my mum was watching it in kitchen as she could not bear me and my moods so I had tv on in sitting room:D

Anyway tv in kitchen is about 5-6 seconds ahead of the sitting room tv as Finnan took free kick I heard mum go "O Lord(it was goal)" she not really into football but watches like all mothers the world cup so i was kind there getting ready to think it was all over when my mum did make roar there am i watching Niall Quinn head ball down to Keane and then bang.

I waited for few seconds waiting for offside or bloody handball. We never scored in last minute only concede.

I went crazy ran out the garden and my brother who was only 4 at time I remember I wnet outside and ran all over the place my brother I say taught I was off my game never seen kid just get such fright went over kissed him on cheek he was just there thinking wtf :D

Then ran back in and realised the game was still on when final whislte went I was so wrecked I could only just stand there with smile.

Great moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

This is my fav football moment of all time - even better than the giant's stadium - and a lot of people just cant understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

For Ireland, Stephen Ireland's goal against Wales I guess.

All time, Di Canio's sissor kick goal for West Ham.. That was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

For Ireland, WC 2002 V Spain, even though we lost it was a fantastic game.

All-time, FA Cup Final 1973, Sunderland 1-0 Leeds

No-one gave my team a chance against European powerhouses, Leeds.

An Ian Porterfield goal and a tremendous double goalkeeping display from Jimmy Montgomery meant arguably the biggest upset in FA Cup Final history was complete.

Porterfield12_450x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A fair few moments come to mind.

Robbie Keanes goal against Germany in WC2004, was due to fly out to Japan for the Saudi match and knew the game would a non event if we had lost. When I did get over noticed the Germans were ignoring the Irish in the hotels, a case of bitter sauerkraut I reckon.

Ray Houghtons goal in the Giants Stadium, was at a barbecue in Monkstown with a bank of tellies in the back garden, pissed with a load of mates rolling around in the grass in pure joy is a hard feeling to beat.

Jasons goal against Holland in Landsdowne Road. Was in an Irish Bar in Lanzarote surrounded by Dutch people for that game. Was brilliant.

But like others it would have to be Ray's goal in Stuttgart in 1988, the first time we were in a major championship and against the old enemy. The streets were empty and the you could hear the roar throughout Ireland when he scored and then the tension for the rest of the game as Gary Linekar tried to give everyone in Ireland a major heart attack. I think I ripped pieces out of the sofa because of him!!! Great day and I would have loved to have been behind the goal for that little gem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

For Ireland I guess it would be the Romania shootout.

All time... maybe Cantona's kung fu kick. A close up view of that would have been awesome, as long as I wasn't the one copping a kick to the face that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That, and I wasnt't there.:(
    tdv wrote: »
    When did Maradona,Bergkhamp, & Man United become Irish? I think I missed something there.

Same day as Glasgow Celtic did iirc.:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

As i exist in a different time zone than the rest of the world

The great victory in Paris in 2009 when Ireland won 2-1 and went to the World Cup.;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I didn't even have to think about it.

1991 Cup final.

1991.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

'99 Sherringham

Macheda versus Villa last season

Owen versus City this season

Advertisement