Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Recommendations

Options
  • 14-11-2009 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭

boards has a lot of forums. At the last count there was around five hundred thousand billion of them and half them were just to cover the Dublin post codes.

It can be hard to find your way around if you're new or hard to realise new forums have been made if you're old. Okay, you can check the New Forums dropdown or keep an eye on the Forums forum but it's not a very efficient way of doing it.

I think it would be pretty cool if there were a "Recommend Forums" feature on boards similar to the suggested friends feature on Facebook. I know that might be a bit Web 2.0 for some people's blood but I think it could work.

Basically it would look at your existing subbed forums and, based on analysing sitewide subbed data and seeing what other forums people with a subbed list similar to yours have, but which you don't, and recommend based on that. Alternatively, you could have a little table in the background saying this forum is like that forum, that forum and that forum e.g. Humanites is like Expand Your Horizons, Politics and Philosophy* or a combination of both.

Anyway, I think it would be a good way to discover new forums. Actually, it could also work by comparing against your Friends subbed list on the assumption that you will have similar tastes to them.

*Before anyone picks me up on this, it is just an example for illustration purposes only and is not meant to represent actual similarities between any forums, living or dead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

It's actually an idea we've kicked around once or twice; doing it right is fiddly, so we've put off investigating it further while we concentrate on the backend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Cool.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement