Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic insulation query

Options
  • 14-11-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

So had the attic converted last year and it is like a fridge up there. Kids are sleeping under two duvets each. I am going to try and do something with it myself. The insulation used by the guy who did it was something like 15 sheets of foil, (I know it sounds crazy but he assured us at the time it was the best and would work fine - obviously not). So I know I have to maintain a 1-2 inch gap between the roof and the ceiling but I want to shove something up there between each rafter. I can't afford to take the ceiling down at the moment and redo it. So what is the best insulation? Can I cut kingspan down to size and just shove it up (presuming its only two inches thick as the gap is only 4). Also for the walls, is kingspan the best to go around them with. Any help appreciated, thanks, f.

Comments

Howdy, Yeah kingspan is a good idea, I done it on all of the exterior walls in my friends house there a few months ago and it done the job nicely! I think its pretty expensive tho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the folks house had the attic converted and i found that it was actually the draughts not the lack of insulation was the problem.

is there presses or anything that lead into the void? try draught proofing them before you venture on an expensive insulation project.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

okay guys thanks for the advice. I will definately check out the draughts too, good idea, f

Advertisement