Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish times reader offer

• 14-11-2009 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

These are advertised as "the irish times reader offers "daily I believe ,I had paid little attention to these offers previously until today (my dad saw something).

Today .12/10/09, There is a "film2sd 35 mm film and slide Scanner" which is a "reader offer" and is "only 179.90 E incl p&p" .I figured as seening this was on offer on a respectable paper ,that it would be a good price/offer,but I wanted to see what review this scanner got , so I google it and it is being sold by amazon for £93 which is 105 E for example. Which is a massive difference:eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ion-Film-35mm-Slide-Scanner/dp/B001RUGOIY

I'm guessing there are some people who will buy this product thinking they are getting a good deal.

Anobody have an opinion on this. I know that it is business but calling it a "reader offer" implies that it is a good offer aimed at "irish times" users only?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited to Rip-off Ireland.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

many of their reader offers should be renamed "reader rip-offs"

a few months back they offered a "Grow your own sunflower kit" for ONLY 29.95. I sell the exact same kit for £14.95 and it sells in the UK for £12.95

maybe conor pope should look into it! :}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anobody have an opinion on this. I know that it is business but calling it a "reader offer" implies that it is a good offer aimed at "irish times" users only?
    I started a similar thread about such "fake offers" before
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055443244

I actually think they are great! my logic is that I do not fall for such fake offers, and I benefit from the idiots who do fall for it. -caveat emptor- buyer beware, there is nothing illegal going on, if you base you purchases/value on how big the sign is, or how great a deal the salesman says then you have only yourself to blame. There is no rip off going on, you have free choice.

Many supermarkets do this, tesco do a double hit, they have non-offers heavily advertised, and strangely since the "change for good", they have remarkable offers with no advertising at all. I keep thinking its mistakes but they remain extremely low for weeks or months. The "offer sign hunters" miss all the best bargains, but keep tescos profits up and so they can still have great offers for me.

Then of course they eventually increase these really cheap items and they all come on here screaming "rip-off", even though they are still reasonably priced :rolleyes:

Advertisement