Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x08 "Time" **SPOILERS** [The Real Thread]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

looking at poll results so far

this seems to be the highest rated episode so far here

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

It is not a ''magic reset''.

The storyline was decent - the effects were good, editing was great.

The best part was the insight into the characters - rush and eli in particular.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is not a ''magic reset''.

How was it not a magic reset. Scott sent the kino through the gate back in time. When the go to the planet (in the altered timeline), they'll find the kino and will harvest the aliens. The time line we saw doesn't happen any more. The people who died will be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,630 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've added a request to the OP per Bizmark's suggestion, to rate each episode thread so each one will show up on the forum page with an average user rating for the episode.http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1754527&postcount=2
    bizmark wrote: »
    Could i ask for the thread to be rated by each person so we (those that dont want to read it because of spoilers) get a general idea of how good/bad the episode is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Decent episode, but the 'kino vision' for the first 10 minutes annoyed me to the point where I was tempted to turn it off, and it shared alot of ideas the ep of SGA where they find an old version of Weir in a stasis tube.

Really liked the idea that they're leaving the episode at that (with no second part), but I only found that out reading this thread. They really should have made that clear in the episode somehow. Yes I know whats going to happen, but there was still no feeling of closure in the ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

thumbs up for a great and unique approach to time travel episode. normally the episode takes place in an alternate time line with a reset button but this was great because the characters got to see something that normally only the audience sees and we got to see their reactions to the recordings.

Brilliant!

best episode of sgu yet

edit:

epsidoe next week, then a week gap then a episode and then nothing announced after that (ep 10)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

User45701 wrote: »
    thumbs up for a great and unique approach to time travel episode. normally the episode takes place in an alternate time line with a reset button but this was great because the characters got to see something that normally only the audience sees and we got to see their reactions to the recordings.

Brilliant!

best episode of sgu yet

edit:

epsidoe next week, then a week gap then a episode and then nothing announced after that (ep 10)

SyFi have a annoying habit of breaking seasons into two parts, so i reckon we get a loooong break between ep 10 and 11, maybe 2/3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Leprachaun wrote: »
    When Rush ran off and went through the gate on his own,I got the impression he already knew about the time travel ad was attempting to stop the whole fiasco by travelling back in time.

The way I see it was Rush going back in time brought the kino with the original footage with him for the second team and the human remains were his. Things play out differantly the second time because of Rush and this leads to Scott making another recording and sending it back for team number 3 who I assume get the cure blah blah blah without any trouble. Have I got it right?

I didn't see any evidence to suggest that there were two loops. One with the first footage up to when rush went back and the other with the kino that Scott sent back

I liked the episode as a standalone episode, and thought it was good the way they have now brought up the idea of getting a virus from other planets.

One thing I didn't get is at one stage Eli said they have 22 hours until the ship goes back to FTL. The never explained this as in the other episodes it was 12 hours. So they must have different time limits on different planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

SyFi have a annoying habit of breaking seasons into two parts, so i reckon we get a loooong break between ep 10 and 11, maybe 2/3 months

Aye, there's no sheduled date for ep 11 on tv.com, iirc the the second half of the one of the last seasons of SG1 (or SGA, not sure) aired on Sky first, rather than in the US. Perhaps the same will happen again?

Yakuza wrote: »
    Aye, there's no sheduled date for ep 11 on tv.com, iirc the the second half of the one of the last seasons of SG1 (or SGA, not sure) aired on Sky first, rather than in the US. Perhaps the same will happen again?

With alot of the later series of SG1, it would break in the US but would still be shown in Canada without a break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

Thought it was a great episode this week, alot of emotional scenes in it, like when they all found out about eli's mother etc.

Looking at next weeks preview I dont think it will be a great episode. Seems to be an earth based one again, and very much relationship based.

hightower1 wrote: »
    It was started days ago and covers this exact title? The first post shows a pre airing preview simply because the ep was not avail yet its a discussion thread on ep 08, its not good enough to spam a forum with double threads for the sake of a poll... and petty its mine"ness"

Ye but polls are good. non internet viewers might want to know how good an episode it is, its like when a friend of yours has seen a movie - you dont want to read details about the plot but you wouldnt mind knowing if it was good or not and what others though so.... Poll :)
    Overheal wrote: »
    The Rolling credits/Next Week vid suggests its not a Two Parter.

How do you people get this so fast? Has the internet come so far?
    Overheal wrote: »
    The Rolling credits/Next Week vid suggests its not a Two Parter.

How do you people get this so fast? Has the internet come so far?

:) allot of the privite sites where you have to pay *shudder* or the ones that are based of ratios can get them very ****ing quick. simpsons/family guy american dad ect start coming around 1am some Monday mornings
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    looking at poll results so far

this seems to be the highest rated episode so far here

:)

only one ive given 5/5 to....

this is a 20 episode season? gap after ep 10 as per us shows and their mid season breaks. So no SGU in december but in January Caprica - the bsg prequel is starting up for a 13 episode run at 3am (GMT) SGU airs at 2am so hopefully sgu will be back (im guessing the 2nd 1/2 of a cliff hanger) on Jan 23rd which will then lead into caprica to try and attract scifi fans to it.

As others have pointed out the 2nd 1/2 of SG1 & SGU where in several cases aired on sky 1 and that canadian station before the US so hopefully we get a straight run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I thought this was one of the weakest episodes so far. For a sci-fi show I'm just not feeling the sci-fi aspect of Universe. I used to watch TNG and get excited to see the futuristic sets, tech, etc. I know Universe is set on a very old ship, but there's still tech, and this is a sci-fi show, and we're being isolated from it.

I know the show has to develop the characters, and build the storyline, but 8 episodes in I'm starting to bore from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

[QUOTE=matrim;63016730One thing I didn't get is at one stage Eli said they have 22 hours until the ship goes back to FTL. The never explained this as in the other episodes it was 12 hours. So they must have different time limits on different planets.[/QUOTE]

There is a countdown clock in the gate room...

There is a countdown clock in the gate room...

i think he means in a previous episode the timer started at 12 hours and it was a 24 hour timer this episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Zoe died! Twice! Win! Will she be the new Wesley? The episode was a total mindf***k, except for the abrupt and disappointing ending, but I hope that SG:U will have many more like this in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Magnificent, finally a good episode. I loved it from beginning to end. I was almost thinking Universe would be a stinker as up till now I was not really impressed with it, but this one shows so much promise. I hope it is not a one off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

User45701 wrote: »
    i think he means in a previous episode the timer started at 12 hours and it was a 24 hour timer this episode

I thought it was longer.
    Didn't someone mention at the beginning that they had something like 36hrs left?

i actually donrt remember how long they said the timer was the first time. i just thought it was 12 hours from your mans post

On the sand and ice planets the timer was 12 hours. On this planet I'm not sure how long it was. They are already on the planet for a while when the 22 hours thing was mentioned so it might have been 36 hours or more that they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    I thought it was longer.
    Didn't someone mention at the beginning that they had something like 36hrs left?
    They did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

matrim wrote: »
    On the sand and ice planets the timer was 12 hours. On this planet I'm not sure how long it was. They are already on the planet for a while when the 22 hours thing was mentioned so it might have been 36 hours or more that they had.
    they said 36 hours on arrival, id say the clock countsdown what it assumes is enough time to carry out the task, like collect ice 12 hours, scour a planet for edible food 36 hours,

not very impressed with this episode, like what was said earlier i was gonna turn it off after 10 mins when it was just looking constantly through the kino, (i like the kino but i dont want to watch half the epidoes through it, its really annoying, its like shaky camera),

it was good to get some caracter insights, and how some of the people watching it reacted to what they heard in the recording was good,

the second chloe died in the recording you knew it was a time travel episode, and that she obviously survives (she is a main caracter afterall)

gave it a 3/5, i didnt like the kino viewing, the constant overuse of film quotations (getting really annoying at this stage), the not showing the actual rescue (i hate when creaters make you draw your own conclusion on something that happened, as a viewer i would expect a good pay-off at the end, not having to draw my own conclusion, i watch films and T.V to be told a whole story not half a bloody story)

the show it going well so far, and this is probably the first ep so far ill probably skip on rewatching season 1 in future,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

don ramo wrote: »
    they said 36 hours on arrival, id say the clock countsdown what it assumes is enough time to carry out the task, like collect ice 12 hours, scour a planet for edible food 36 hours,

Thats assuming Destiny went there for food.

I was under the impression it detected to infection in the water and in the crew and went there for a cure to them.

The crew assumed it went there for food and it was 2 late by the time they realised they where all sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

It was a good ep I think I gave it a 3/5 or a 4/5. I dont know why this episode seems to be getting the highest rating..the first three episodes were way more engrossing. It was a good one but I agree killing off Zoe was a bit of numpty move

..when big boobs died I was thinking 'ye she aint that big a part anyway'!

Im glad they brought the whole disease element into it and that the antibiotics didnt have an effect..my science background creeping in!

Bajingo wrote: »
    It was a good ep I think I gave it a 3/5 or a 4/5. I dont know why this episode seems to be getting the highest rating..the first three episodes were way more engrossing. It was a good one but I agree killing off Zoe was a bit of numpty move

..when big boobs died I was thinking 'ye she aint that big a part anyway'!

Im glad they brought the whole disease element into it and that the antibiotics didnt have an effect..my science background creeping in!
    and instead of useing all the antibotics, they have now saved loads, just in case anyone wonders later where they get more antibiotics from;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sherifu wrote: »
    <explanation vid>

Well, my rating of this episode has just risen even more now.

Excellent little aftertouch to add..

I'm guessing that maybe that scene/webisode may have just been cut from the original episode?

Malty_T wrote: »

I'm guessing that maybe that scene/webisode may have just been cut from the original episode?
    but what about people who dont know these clips exist, or cant access tham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Liked the episode up untill Ellis death bed confession of love/friendship.

Thought it was way too heavy handed, badly acted, directed and scored, didn't believe it for a second.

Pity, turned a good episode into the worst so far and makes me worry about the future of a series I was starting to warm to.

• Advertisement

Ditto. People that don't know it exists will remain in the dark I suppose.
    It's a Kino video extra, directed by Ivon Bartok.

Advertisement