Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x08 "Time" **SPOILERS** [The Real Thread]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sherifu wrote: »
    Ditto. People that don't know it exists will remain in the dark I suppose.

In fairness it's pretty easy to realise what was going to happen. All this did was confirm what we thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Thats assuming Destiny went there for food.

I was under the impression it detected to infection in the water and in the crew and went there for a cure to them.

The crew assumed it went there for food and it was 2 late by the time they realised they where all sick.

Niice! Didn't even cosider that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,634 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SyFi have a annoying habit of breaking seasons into two parts, so i reckon we get a loooong break between ep 10 and 11, maybe 2/3 months
    Are you sure you arent thinking of the WGA strike?

edit: actually if you look here, its extremely unusual to be getting any Stargate Episodes during this time of the year at all. So I honestly have no idea what to expect.
    matrim wrote: »
    One thing I didn't get is at one stage Eli said they have 22 hours until the ship goes back to FTL. The never explained this as in the other episodes it was 12 hours. So they must have different time limits on different planets.
    I guess Destiny figures the time they need to accomplish certain goals?

I dont know. I dislike that whole thing. Namely I dislike this Hunter-Gatherer fashion of getting food and water. They'll need to find a hydroponics bay or something soon. This is no way to feed a so many people!

Regarding the Loops I think youre forgetting the human skull they found, etc.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Yay! They all learned something from this episode :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

don ramo wrote: »
    the second chloe died in the recording you knew it was a time travel episode, and that she obviously survives (she is a main caracter afterall)

You mean the second they stopped the recording and we saw she was still alive you knew the episode Time was about time travel?
    WTF are you complaining about. No ball was dropped.
    the not showing the actual rescue (i hate when creaters make you draw your own conclusion on something that happened, as a viewer i would expect a good pay-off at the end, not having to draw my own conclusion, i watch films and T.V to be told a whole story not half a bloody story)

I actually thought the ending was very self explanatory and was impressed that they decided not to waste time showing the solution.
    If there was a 5 second clip of Col. Young watching Scotts recording and saying "You heard the man people" that might have made things clearer for those who didnt get the ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think it was all very co-incidental that whatever they picked up on one planet would be cured by the specific antibodies in facehuggers on another planet. I thought this episode/plot was exceptionally ****. And this is going to drag into the next episode?

"I wish I had more thumbs, so I could give those titties four thumbs down!"

• Advertisement

I think it was all very co-incidental that whatever they picked up on one planet would be cured by the specific antibodies in facehuggers on another planet. I thought this episode/plot was exceptionally ****. And this is going to drag into the next episode?

Yeah how dare the Gou'auld be able to cure Diabeetus! :mad:

The aliens venom just had a powerful immune system. Its not really that far fetched. Like an alien ship with powerful shields that can hold up to a photon torpedo invented thousands of light years away: The absurdity of it all! Im no biologist but I imagine the simile applies.

Its also Science Fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

You mean the second they stopped the recording and we saw she was still alive you knew the episode Time was about time travel?
    WTF are you complaining about. No ball was dropped.

just cause an episode is called time doesnt mean its about time travel,

I actually thought the ending was very self explanatory and was impressed that they decided not to waste time showing the solution.
    If there was a 5 second clip of Col. Young watching Scotts recording and saying "You heard the man people" that might have made things clearer for those who didnt get the ending.

its is explanitory, now that i know there isnt a second part to the episode, the ending gave the impression that it was gonna be continued next week, and for people who dont have access to the internet that is the logical conclusion any normal person would come to,

its not a hard ending to get, its just id prefer actually seeing it happen, afterall its what the 45 minutes were leading up to in the first place, im just not that big a fan of the way it was done, i like some shows that do it like lost, but i wouldnt like to be watching loads of show where i just write the ending myself, like i said i watch to be told a story not half of one,

i like to know that the story is over, which was not indicated here,

plus i still gave it a 3/5, it wasnt tripe,

don ramo wrote: »
    just cause an episode is called time doesnt mean its about time travel,

Who are you kidding? :pac:
    its is explanitory, now that i know there isnt a second part to the episode, the ending gave the impression that it was gonna be continued next week, and for people who dont have access to the internet that is the logical conclusion any normal person would come to,

its not a hard ending to get, its just id prefer actually seeing it happen, afterall its what the 45 minutes were leading up to in the first place, im just not that big a fan of the way it was done, i like some shows that do it like lost, but i wouldnt like to be watching loads of show where i just write the ending myself, like i said i watch to be told a story not half of one,

i like to know that the story is over, which was not indicated here,

plus i still gave it a 3/5, it wasnt tripe,
    Yeah I guess thats why they made the web video, to give people who didnt get it an Explaination.

Though anyone watching it legit on TV would have seen the ending, it go to black, Executive Producer - split Screen *NEXT WEEK ON SGU* Oh right, I guess theyre moving on. Hey yeah that was a fresh and new way to finish an episode.

You'd actually want them to spend an extra 42 minutes on this after they had already figured it all out? Seems needless dont you think? Especially when so many people are starting to moan this show isnt pacing fast enough, you want to drag it out into part 2: Inoculation!

Relax, I am sure it will get an honorable mention next episode.
    Also they would have been able to have another battle scene towards the end where they get the cure. Instead we had, oh a load of people have died. Ah right, they'll probably just change the timeline again. That just ruined the sense of urgency and as said above any suspense.
    How long can shooting at little critters for aliens keep your attention though? I would have gotten bored if they dragged this an extra episode just to show us a couple extra muzzle flashes. I am sure there will plenty more things to shoot at in the future.

Cushion can you say youve been at all suspended during this series? I get the feeling: No. Squelch the little voice in your head thats telling you its a show and the characters wont die, because christ, that will of course ruin it for you. How many times did we watch SG-1 face stupid odds and come back alive? Did we ever really think they might die? Did that matter?

Only 3 main characters have ever really died on this franchise. 4 if you count Davis due to Real World circumstances. The other 3 were done in such a way as so you never did see it coming. Or if you did, you were thinking way too hard. Then there was Apophis, Baal and Anubis..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Overheal wrote: »
    Who are you kidding? :pac:

Yeah I guess thats why they made the web video, to give people who didnt get it an Explaination.

Though anyone watching it legit on TV would have seen the ending, it go to black, Executive Producer - split Screen *NEXT WEEK ON SGU* Oh right, I guess theyre moving on. Hey yeah that was a fresh and new way to finish an episode.

You'd actually want them to spend an extra 42 minutes on this after they had already figured it all out? Seems needless dont you think? Especially when so many people are starting to moan this show isnt pacing fast enough, you want to drag it out into part 2: Inoculation!

Relax, I am sure it will get an honorable mention next episode.
    How long can shooting at little critters for aliens keep your attention though? I would have gotten bored if they dragged this an extra episode just to show us a couple extra muzzle flashes. I am sure there will plenty more things to shoot at in the future.

Cushion can you say youve been at all suspended during this series? I get the feeling: No. Squelch the little voice in your head thats telling you its a show and the characters wont die, because christ, that will of course ruin it for you. How many times did we watch SG-1 face stupid odds and come back alive? Did we ever really think they might die? Did that matter?

Only 3 main characters have ever really died on this franchise. 4 if you count Davis due to Real World circumstances. The other 3 were done in such a way as so you never did see it coming. Or if you did, you were thinking way too hard. Then there was Apophis, Baal and Anubis..

no one said it had to carry into the next episode, most people have there own opinion of the way it ended, myself and a few others didnt like the ending and most like yourself did, its purly down to personal taste, sure if it were that easy to entertain people no show would ever be canceled,

even at that this episode seems to have gotten the highest rating yet on the forums, personally im gonna skip it when i rewatch this season,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just watched it there and thought it was excellent although I'm a sucker for time-based episodes, even if they undo it at the end.

Initially I was quite irritated with the Kino POV, thinking it a poor directorial choice by Cooper, but how much happier was I when it was actually an essential element of the plot. True the style was reminiscent of 'Aliens' meets 'Cloverfield' but I think it worked for the most part - I especially liked the night-vision mode.

Pretty good character development here too - I know a lot of people hate Eli but he came across quite well here, as someone clearly frightened and trying to cope. He does bug other people (loved how Rush ignored him when he was doing the Desert Island Top 5) but he has some insightful moments too and I think we'll see him mature as the show goes on.
    Rush running off in the first loop - courageous moment or cowardly, I'm not too sure. I think he is very afraid of death, so he risked the unknown rather than a sealed fate. His interest in Ascension plays into that and I think he might actually want it for everyone, not just himself.

I also didn't mind the fact that the venom counteracted the parasites in the water. It's not entirely infeasible. In fact it could be argued that it makes more sense of the venom of a creature in the same area of that galaxy to be more effective than our own antibiotics (insomuch as they'd be compatible with human biology at all).

The ending was a bit neat but time travel episodes normally are and I think, for what it was worth, it flowed pretty well. The ending may have seemed abrupt but it's more effective than the rushed efforts SG1 and SGA often employed in the later seasons.

Still really enjoying the season and long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I never said they should have stretched it to another episode. One episode was enough. I was saying that the episode would have been much better/stronger had they wrote an ending that didn't involve them undoing everything.

I never said they should have stretched it to another episode. One episode was enough. I was saying that the episode would have been much better/stronger had they wrote an ending that didn't involve them undoing everything.
    I can see the argument it looking better if they got to the planet and found the 2 kinos there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I gave this episode 3 out of 5. I wanted to turn it off about 10 minutes in when the whole episode was kino vision. I'm actually beginning to hate the kino. Really hate. And I love this show.
    And the next thing that annoyed the **** out of me was the kino (yeah again). How come the kino took the place of Eli's eyes. It was like playing Doom. Or the training game Teal'c got trapped in at SGC.

This is the first negative thing I have said about this show and I'm disappointed with myself for being annoyed by this but it really got to me. :(

p.s. Thank god the one mission where everyone died happened to be the same time that time travel was possible to fix it. Just saying!

the training game Teal'c got trapped in at SGC.
    We dont talk about that.

Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

In fairness it's pretty easy to realise what was going to happen. All this did was confirm what we thought.
    I didn't mean the explanation. I left my reply a bit ambiguous so i'll take another stab at saying what I meant. I think most people will fill in the blanks for themselves, no question. While it's not vital to have Eli, Scott & the other scientists tell us with nice diagrams and such it's a nice touch. One thing I was wondering when the episode finished for example is if they can get one of the creatures safely in the new timeline. This clip confirms TJ is already working on the venom.
    What I meant is people that don't see this will remain in the dark that this clip exists and finishes out the episode nicely. One of my slight complaints about the episode was the abrupt ending with the reset. This clip rounds it out nicely. It's the classic epilogue that nearly all episodes of tng have for example. It's not too big of a deal having it as a kino extra really, a nice tip of the hat to fans.
    We dont talk about that.

Ever.
    I quite liked the gamekeeper episode. Love Dwight Schultz. The game wasn't that bad, it wasn't Ori bad anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

ixoy wrote: »

Rush running off in the first loop - courageous moment or cowardly, I'm not too sure. I think he is very afraid of death, so he risked the unknown rather than a sealed fate.

I'm pretty sure Rush knew about the time travel and he saved everyone by running through the stargate. He brought the kino through with him therefore creating timeline no. 2 which ended up with Scott being able to change things again creating timeline no. 3. The human skull was Rush's and the kino beside it was the original kino from the first timeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I haven't liked some other time travel episodes that Stargate has done but this one was really good. I didn't mind the Kino's use to tell the story and think that it made some things more dramatic. Loved the shots where you saw Eli with the M4 Carbine, really like a FPS. It was kind obvious that they were going to use the time travel again to fix things especially when Chloe died. I liked the way the episode ended by just cutting.

There was a lot of character development in the episode. Even if it won't count in future episodes we still got to know a lot about them. I didn't think that Eli was that annoying in this episode except for the bed side speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

The Don wrote: »
    It was kind obvious that they were going to use the time travel again to fix things especially when Chloe died.

At tha point I thought to myself they might actucaly kill a main Character, this is so cool ( meaning we will have no idea who could dienext)
    But then of course I was wrong

Loved this ep, Greer is definatly my favorite character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

Leprachaun wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Rush knew about the time travel and he saved everyone by running through the stargate. He brought the kino through with him therefore creating timeline no. 2 which ended up with Scott being able to change things again creating timeline no. 3. The human skull was Rush's and the kino beside it was the original kino from the first timeline.

I really just took Rush at his word in that he was going to see if the wormhole was safe. Scott is shown throwing the first Kino through and we see it landing beside Rush (who is presumably dead from the unstable wormhole/illness).

I really hope I'm not the only one who hated the obligatory "and everything is OK after the climactic scene" scenes that plagued the last minutes of TNG, Voyager, SG1 and Atlantis. Does anyone really need to be reassured by seeing the team find the second Kino, going to the planet, capturing the chesthuggers and mixing up a vial of antidote? It's great to see a show step away from the boring conventions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Spike440 wrote: »
    I really just took Rush at his word in that he was going to see if the wormhole was safe. Scott is shown throwing the first Kino through and we see it landing beside Rush (who is presumably dead from the unstable wormhole/illness).

Scott throws the second kino through which timeline 3 (the one from the webisode) find. I'm talking about the kino from the first timeline ( Eli's documentary, not Scott's warning) which created timeline 2, i.e. the one where Scott threw his Kino through the stargate before getting killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They needed air and they ship brought them to a suitable planet, they need water dito , they need a cure and the ship brought them to a planet with a cure.

I don't see anything co-incidental.

jhegarty wrote: »
    They needed air and they ship brought them to a suitable planet, they need water dito , they need a cure and the ship brought them to a planet with a cure.

I don't see anything co-incidental.
    I didn't think of it at the time but now that you mention it, that does make the most sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I didn't think of it at the time but now that you mention it, that does make the most sense.

Its because you think they are going there for food, but the ship would of detected the infection, but by the time the crew realise about the infection its to late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

User45701 wrote: »
    thumbs up for a great and unique approach to time travel episode. normally the episode takes place in an alternate time line with a reset button but this was great because the characters got to see something that normally only the audience sees and we got to see their reactions to the recordings.

Brilliant!

best episode of sgu yet

edit:

epsidoe next week, then a week gap then a episode and then nothing announced after that (ep 10)

And then they reset it all again at the end, so as the series continues it will be as if they never watched the recordings, but for Scott's little speech at the end which doesn't really give anything else away.

I actually enjoyed this episode a lot. I think there was pretty decent char development in it, and even though I knew the magic reset was coming (and then double reset) when Lt. boobs died, I didn't mind it.

The only bit that annoyed my was Eli's bohoo love confession to Chloe at the end, found it incredibly cheesy.

I think it would have been ace if Eli had professed his love for Chloe after she had died the first time and Chloe and everyone else got to see it before the final re-set.

Still, good episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭DanSolo

jhegarty wrote: »
    The ship should really bring them somewhere that has more than one thing to speed things up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

DanSolo wrote: »
    The ship should really bring them somewhere that has more than one thing to speed things up a bit.

It has, they had cure, food and water here. And fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It would have been a good episode, if they hadn't gone down the "kill everyone off and then hit the reset button so none of them actually died" route. That's lazy and predictable, and for them to be doing stupid filler stuff like that this early in the show's life is not a good sign. That's the kind of crap you expect in season 3 or 4.

Worst episode of SGU yet, and hopefully worst for a long time, because of the stupid reset. This was baaaaaad. All the character development and teary goodbyes in the world won't matter a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

jor el wrote: »
    It would have been a good episode, if they hadn't gone down the "kill everyone off and then hit the reset button so none of them actually died" route. That's lazy and predictable, and for them to be doing stupid filler stuff like that this early in the show's life is not a good sign. That's the kind of crap you expect in season 3 or 4.

Worst episode of SGU yet, and hopefully worst for a long time, because of the stupid reset. This was baaaaaad. All the character development and teary goodbyes in the world won't matter a damn.

how can anything be filler. The only plot is to stay f***ing alive and possibly get back home.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

somuj wrote: »
    how can anything be filler. The only plot is to stay f***ing alive and possibly get back home.:mad:

Main characters die. *RESET* Everybody alive again. Confessions of love, character development, all meaningless. No plot development, nothing new, filler.

I can't believe so many people gave this 5/5. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jor el wrote: »
    Main characters die. *RESET* Everybody alive again. Confessions of love, character development, all meaningless. No plot development, nothing new, filler.

I can't believe so many people gave this 5/5. Very strange.

But some of the character development was not reset as they still got to see the two recordings.

It wasn't the usual no one knows anything happened reset (like 2010) , it was one that was recorded for everyone to see.

Advertisement