Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic!

• 14-11-2009 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

I missed a continous assignment in business:( I mean, missed it completely. What are the odds that the teacher will give me another task or somehow give me a chance to still pass the course? I just didn't know about the assignment, I started the course late:( Are they very very strict with that? Because I have been in a state of panic since I found out:( We got more continous assignments in the course, but if I got it right, you fail one, you fail the course, and that means a repeat year which I cannot afford.

Please someone tell me:(
    /John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hairy cake

Wendero wrote: »
    Hi

I missed a continous assignment in business:( I mean, missed it completely. What are the odds that the teacher will give me another task or somehow give me a chance to still pass the course? I just didn't know about the assignment, I started the course late:( Are they very very strict with that? Because I have been in a state of panic since I found out:( We got more continous assignments in the course, but if I got it right, you fail one, you fail the course, and that means a repeat year which I cannot afford.

Please someone tell me:(
    /John

Talk to the lecturer as soon as possible.
    Have a printed letter saying that you were late starting the course.
    If possible provide some evidence of this.
    Emphasise that you will get the assignment in immediately.
    Usually if you are late starting the department should take this into account. (But...they might also say that you should be aware of assignments, requirements...)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Well, the lecturer himself admitted me to the course one month after the term started (I switched minor). I'm going to do the task right now.

/John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Blue_Light

The best thing you can possibly do right now is to do the task and have it ready with you when you go to talk to him. And do go talk to him as soon as you can.

There's nothing much you can do now until Monday, so worrying will be wasted energy. I know it's easier said than done, but just try and put it to the back of your mind for the weekend. Is your lecturer open to email? I know mine are fine with me emailing them over the weekend, but I think it would need to be slightly more urgent, as in something that had to be looked at over the weekend.

Just get the assignment completed over the weekend, gather any documentation you have that show you entered the course late, and then relax until you can meet him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

If this was a major essay linked to the module then I would be a bit worried. If it was just a small assignment (like one of five) I wouldn't worry at all. You could also e-mail your tutor, but he/she will most likely send you to your lecturer.

I wouldn't worry about it particularly if you're in first year. Just don't let this happen again.

It's quite small. First assignment of the course, I think we'll have three overall. yes, I'm first year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It's most likely you will fail and have to repeat. Also in Ireland we have a scheme were you must not only pay fees to repeat but pay a "lubricating fee" to hurry your application to repeat through in time. Luckily for you I know someone who can clear this whole sorry mess up. For a small fee, I'll put you in touch with them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

It's quite small. First assignment of the course, I think we'll have three overall. yes, I'm first year.
    Email your lecturer and let them know that you started late as you switched subjects and need to know what you have to do because you missed the first assignment(you won't fail because you missed it, if you fail CA overall that's different), and go and talk to them on Monday as well and you'll get it all straightened out.
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    It's most likely you will fail and have to repeat. Also in Ireland we have a scheme were you must not only pay fees to repeat but pay a "lubricating fee" to hurry your application to repeat through in time. Luckily for you I know someone who can clear this whole sorry mess up. For a small fee, I'll put you in touch with them :)
    I know your joking but seriously the guy's worried about it and saying he's most likely going to fail and have to repeat is not helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

If you started the course late I'm sure they will allow you extra time to hand in a missed assignment.

If not, some departments will allow people to hand it any missed assignments at the end of the semester.

Talk to your lecturer, tutor, or department head if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Oh dear....

Wendero: Hey man, the bext thing you can do right now is stop worrying. It won't help. Go have a supermacs or something and relax!;) Go and see the lecturer as soon as possibly on monday morning and explain your situation. I'm sure he'll understand. Good luck!

So... I shouldn't be THAT worried then? Because... I was panicking:( Doing a whole year again just for failing one course... that's not fair. not fair at all:( I'm doing well in most other courses, so it would be such a shame if I had to quit just because of one assignment. We all do mistakes! :(

What's that thing about handing in assignments at the end of the semester? Which departments allow that?

• Advertisement

First of all you do not have to repeat the whole year if you fail one module. Second of all it's extremely unlikely you can fail one module based on non-submittal of one assignment. Relax.

Not the whole year? Wow... that means I only get 6000 euros more in study debt. Well, at least no black mark on my CV. And hey, the uni needs all the money it can get, right? ;)

I've finished more than half the assignment now. I'm going to have it finished before I go to the teacher tomorrow (or should I go to someone else?)

/John

Who else would you go to? Just explain the situation to the lecturer. There shouldn't be an issue. I very much imagine that you can probably hand in no assignments and still pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I keep shouting

"AT THE DISCO!" when I see this thread.

at the disco? Okay, for your information, I'm not a native english-speaker... is this some kind of expression I haven't learned yet?:( Explain it to me. Now.

Like watching a car crash in slow motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

at the disco? Okay, for your information, I'm not a native english-speaker... is this some kind of expression I haven't learned yet?:( Explain it to me. Now.

Panic! At The Disco are a emo band, I assume that's what he's talking about anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Wendero, I'm in the 1st year business classes also.

The lecturer talked about the assignment and there were questions asked about it by students dring the lecture in nearly every class from when it was posted.

I think when you enter a course late that it should be your responsibility to find out all the assignments that need to be completed. Moodle explains the assignments in great detail and the business lecturer from what i've heard is very kind about staying to answer questions and responding promptly to students' mails.

Unfortunately, i don't really feel you have an excuse. I know this may sound harsh but assignments are very important to complete on time and it is unfair to other students that you should be allowed to enter a late submission.

Isuzanne, that might be true. However, the professor did agree to let me submit late, so I was lucky. And I did have a reason, which is WAY too personal to write on a public forum.

I'm sorry if you feel I've been treated unfairly well in this situation, and I certainly should have completed it on time. I wasn't trying to skip it or something. And the reason why I didn't realize we had two assignments was because I can't keep the two subjects Management and teams and Organizational behaviour apart, I keep mixing them up since we have the same professor in them.

We all do mistakes. I sure won't do this mistake again.

/John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

For an economics module we're doing 3 assignments but only getting graded on 2. It might not be the same for you but if I miss an assignment they'll just grade the other 2 I submit.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    For an economics module we're doing 3 assignments but only getting graded on 2. It might not be the same for you but if I miss an assignment they'll just grade the other 2 I submit.
    I don't think so. We have to submit all 3 assignments and then the lecturer randomly picks 2 to go through your final grade.

Hate to burst the bubble Irish goat but I do economics too and we have to do all the assignments. Each assignment goes into 3 separate groups and if you don't have a bit of luck on your side you may only get graded on one of your 3,if you only submit 2. I would do all 3 if I were you...

That's true. I'm doing really well in economics btw, got 80 and 75 % on the MCQs :) See, I'm not a deadbeat, I'm just unlucky and ignorant ;)

/John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Aye lads but my point is that if you only end up submitting 2 because of reasons such as Wendero's they may look favourably on it and not penalise you for missing the 3rd.

Aye lads but my point is that if you only end up submitting 2 because of reasons such as Wendero's they may look favourably on it and not penalise you for missing the 3rd.
    Do you have the same Micro lecturer as me?:D I can't see her doing that mate!

K4t wrote: »
    Do you have the same Micro lecturer as me?:D I can't see her doing that mate!

well said,haha

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

There is no need to panic when you can always just shed a tear and break out the puppy dogs... might have to do that myself this week or get violent... all depends on who and how big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ha! :)

Advertisement