Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop Warranty

Options
  • 14-11-2009 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just purchased a brand new Xbox from Gamestop and the girl tells me I have one month with them and then after that I call Microsoft, really?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

helios12 wrote: »
    Just purchased a brand new Xbox from Gamestop and the girl tells me I have one month with them and then after that I call Microsoft, really?
    Not legally, but calling MS directly will:
    • Give you better service
    • Actually speak to someone who gives a rats ass about your problem
    • Get a replacement XBox out to you faster (when it three rings they will replace it)
    • Get you a door to door service instead of having to drag it in to Gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your contract is with the point of sale, but in some cases, you really are better off dealing with the manufacturer. They can offer you faster and better service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nody wrote: »
    Not legally, but calling MS directly will:
    • Give you better service
    • Actually speak to someone who gives a rats ass about your problem
    • Get a replacement XBox out to you faster (when it three rings they will replace it)
    • Get you a door to door service instead of having to drag it in to Gamestop
    the trouble with dealing with microsoft apple etc is that they may well want to replace your almost new console with a refurb that could have seen months/years of service before being returned to microsoft for replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

A pal got a new one in Game (not game stop) there last week , same deal ..... except they tried to sell an additional warrantee for €30 which basically covered for ... not their words but : it falling down the stairs and such accidental damage. I'd love to know if anyone has ever been successful in claiming a new xbox with that cover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thats insurance as opposed to a warranty, it's a different thing.

OP from experience dealing with Apple I can tell you that sometimes you are better going through the manufacturer yourself that said you do have the right to bring it back to Gamestop, who in turn will send it on to Microsoft and in reality delay the repair by a few days since there is a middle man involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the trouble with dealing with microsoft apple etc is that they may well want to replace your almost new console with a refurb that could have seen months/years of service before being returned to microsoft for replacement.
    And taking it into Gamestop will have the store send it back to MS with the same risk; net result will be the same except it takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Nody wrote: »
    And taking it into Gamestop will have the store send it back to MS with the same risk; net result will be the same except it takes longer.

Yes but by going direct to MS you're not giving Gamestop an opportunity to rectify the problem so as far as Gamestop are aware there is no problem. Could this weaken your position if the problem recurs outside of warranty and you start looking for a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Most warrenty are only 30 days anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Most warrenty are only 30 days anyway

Where did you get this gem of information? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

calex71 wrote: »
    A pal got a new one in Game (not game stop) there last week , same deal ..... except they tried to sell an additional warrantee for €30 which basically covered for ... not their words but : it falling down the stairs and such accidental damage. I'd love to know if anyone has ever been successful in claiming a new xbox with that cover :D

That covers absolutely anything that happens to the console. I had one of those policys for my DS and it got ran over by a van (long story) and they replaced it w/o problem. OP, if anything happens to your xbox bring it back to gamestop first and see what they can do, and if your not happy with that get onto microsoft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

I know it !

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Cheers for the replies folks, I thought it strange considering I had previously bought a console from Game. They gladly replaced it there and then without too much fuss and that was about 6 months down the line( good ol' rrod days).

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It's bull that they tell you at the time of purchase, look any other place will replace that console for a year and then you have two more years with microsoft covering certain issues. Any time I've had a faulty console I've returned it to the retailer and they swap it out with another one on the shelf, except Sony stuff, cause Sony send refurbs to the retailer.

It's bull that they tell you at the time of purchase, look any other place will replace that console for a year and then you have two more years with microsoft covering certain issues. Any time I've had a faulty console I've returned it to the retailer and they swap it out with another one on the shelf, except Sony stuff, cause Sony send refurbs to the retailer.

Well despite the advice earlier that the manufacturer would be quicker, the attitude has just made me decide that if i get any issues in the next 12 months they can be sure to see me outside the shop waiting for it to open with Xbox in hand.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Sure doesnt most people have house insurance which would cover a fall or breakage of goods in the house. Granted there might be an excess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

helios12 wrote: »
    Well despite the advice earlier that the manufacturer would be quicker, the attitude has just made me decide that if i get any issues in the next 12 months they can be sure to see me outside the shop waiting for it to open with Xbox in hand.;)

To be fair though that is a bit silly and all you will be doing is giving people in the shop and yourself a lot of unnecessary hassle! It really isn't the shops fault. I presume Microsoft are working along the same lines as Apple. I worked in a shop that sold Apple products and under pain of death were we to take products back from people after a month.

If we did, we would have to ring up a call centre, explain that we were a shop, argue with them for up to half an hour to get permission to claim our money back on the product etc. Whereas if a customer rings up, they would get it sorted in minutes.

If you aren't happy with policy, I'd contact the head office of the shop about it and outline your concerns. Those who work in the individual branches are not the ones making up the rules and shouldn't have to suffer because of it.

Monkey61 wrote: »
    To be fair though that is a bit silly and all you will be doing is giving people in the shop and yourself a lot of unnecessary hassle! It really isn't the shops fault.

I presume Microsoft are working along the same lines as Apple. I worked in a shop that sold Apple products and under pain of death were we to take products back from people after a month.

If we did, we would have to ring up a call centre, explain that we were a shop, argue with them for up to half an hour to get permission to claim our money back on the product etc. Whereas if a customer rings up, they would get it sorted in minutes.

If you aren't happy with policy, I'd contact the head office of the shop about it and outline your concerns. Those who work in the individual branches are not the ones making up the rules and shouldn't have to suffer because of it.

Why is it silly? If you bought a chair and a leg fell off you wouldn't contact the factory in China? You'd insist that the shop sorts it out despite the hassle, afterall that's who you have your contract with. Any reimbursment deal between vendor and manufacturer is an aside issue which doesn't affect the customer's rights.

Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question? Thanks in advance.
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes but by going direct to MS you're not giving Gamestop an opportunity to rectify the problem so as far as Gamestop are aware there is no problem. Could this weaken your position if the problem recurs outside of warranty and you start looking for a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you go through microsoft and they replace your console with a refurbished one or even a new one the store may refuse to deal with you again(if they chect serial numbers) as it is no longer the product they sold you. if microsoft attempt a repair and it does not work you can still go to the store but they will treat it as the 1st time the fault has occured as they will not be aware of anything microsoft has tried.

That's what I was thinkin' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

To be fair though that is a bit silly and all you will be doing is giving people in the shop and yourself a lot of unnecessary hassle! It really isn't the shops fault. I presume Microsoft are working along the same lines as Apple. I worked in a shop that sold Apple products and under pain of death were we to take products back from people after a month.

Are you for real?

Your contract is with the seller, end of story. And not just for a year either, consumer law in this country allows you to claim after a year. It happened to my brother with Gamestop, he bought a PS3 and it packed up after 18 months or so. They tried to fob him off, telling him to take it up with Sony. He went to the Small Claims Court and it was all done and dusted in a couple of weeks, they replaced the console with a new one.

Why shoukd you go to the trouble of dealing with the manufacturer when the seller is obliged, BY LAW, to sort it out FOR you.

• Advertisement

Sounds more like your problem than mine.

Those who work in the individual branches are not the ones making up the rules and shouldn't have to suffer because of it.

I'd take a guess and assume they knew they'd be dealing with this kind of stuff when they applied for the job?

OP, Gamestop have to cover you for longer than a month as has been said. However, the only real issue you'll have is trying to explain to them that one month of warranty isn't legal and that you're entitled to a refund/repair/replacement.

I'd feel a bit awkward bringing it back after 12 months, and I'd be aware that I'd have to argue my case with them, however, i'd have no issue at all in complaining and going back after one month.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

The insurance is only a scam too cos the only problem with the xbox is the red ring problem which IS NOT COVERED in the insurance as it is a "Mechanical Fault". :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Gamestop in midleton got a ps3 off them broke after a week guy in shop checked went in back came out with a brand new one.Gamestop are good to deal with in my experience

Advertisement