Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a child safety gate

Options
  • 14-11-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Hi am trying to hang a child safety gate at top of stairs into concrete wall. I drilled a hole andput screw and raw plug in however it is not holding in the concrete. Any tips on how to solve this?

Thanks
    Bryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

what size is the hole you drilled? what size is the rawl plug ? what size is the screw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

The raw plug came with the screws....dont know size as gate was hung but now after months of use a bit of concrete has broken off.screws look about 1/2 an inch long.hole is smaller and not very deep.
    Can i drill deeper and use.a longer screw and maybe put a sliver of wood in with it? no?
    Not a diy guy but trying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The raw plug came with the screws....dont know size as gate was hung but now after months of use a bit of concrete has broken off.screws look about 1/2 an inch long.hole is smaller and not very deep.
    Can i drill deeper and use.a longer screw and maybe put a sliver of wood in with it? no?
    Not a diy guy but trying

If the screws are only 1/2 inch long then they might be too short to reach through the gate bracket and the plaster into the blockwork. The fact they're working loose suggests they're only gripping the plaster.

Drill deeper (don't wriggle the drill bit as this will only make the hole larger) and use a longer screw, perhaps 25-30mm. If it is still loose use a slightly larger diameter plug and screws.

Most bags of plugs have guides which show you the correct size hole and plug to use for a particular size screw.

Here are sizes from a bag I have:

screw ; hole size ; plug size
    2.5-4mm x 30mm ; 5mm x 35mm deep ; 5mm x 25mm long
    3-5mm x 35mm ; 6mm x 40m deep ; 5mm x 30mm long
    5-7mm x 50mm ; 8mm x 55m deep ; 8mm x 40mm long
    6-8mm x 60mm ; 10mm x 65m deep ; 8mm x 50mm long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

ok thanks..will go to woodies and get the right size crews and plugs

Advertisement