Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

case recommendation

Options
  • 14-11-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hey guys,
    I BADLY need a new case for my Dell GX620, where is the best place to go, and is there anything i should know about my pc/mobo first?? cheers!!

:o

DSC05162.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Ruh Roh...

Can you get a model/number on that motherboard.Try downloading CPU-Z if you cant find the name on the board itself.

It looks like its m-ATX,but I cant tell 100 %

As for places to buy.Komplett,Ebuyer,Elara if you want to buy over the web.

As far as brick and mortar stores go,Peats have a good selection of cases in their Parnell Street branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dell use a proprietary system don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dell use a proprietary system don't they?

Yeah for motherboards, psu and memory they do.

Venom wrote: »
    Yeah for motherboards, psu and memory they do.

BTX is it,Im not sure what the thing is called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yup that boards looks like the BTX standard... which fell on its knees not long after launch. I remember lian li offered ATX and BTX compatibility on some of its cases at the time, finding one is going to be a complete bitch though.

• Advertisement

The original CM stacker was a BTX compatible case if its any help. Intel was the one trying to push the BTX standard for better cooling and **** but I though Dell always just used a Dell standard to stop people going the upgrade instead of buying a whole new Dell rig route.

The original CM stacker was a BTX compatible case if its any help. Intel was the one trying to push the BTX standard for better cooling and **** but I though Dell always just used a Dell standard to stop people going the upgrade instead of buying a whole new Dell rig route.

Doesnt Peats sell the original Stacker :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jock Strap

If you can'y find a BTX compatible case then maybe you should consider getting a modular PSU?

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Doesnt Peats sell the original Stacker :confused:

Not listed on there site anymore and I only ever saw the poxy nVidia 830 design one in there tbh.

Not listed on there site anymore and I only ever saw the poxy nVidia 830 design one in there tbh.

I was in Peats in Parnell street and they had it.It was in about a month ago though :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

BTX Stacker or Lian-Li? Aren't we talking about the kind of money that could buy a new case, mATX mobo and CPU anyway? :confused:

Solitaire wrote: »
    BTX Stacker or Lian-Li? Aren't we talking about the kind of money that could buy a new case, mATX mobo and CPU anyway? :confused:

Ya left out PSU and RAM :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oh... I thought that was a new PSU there :o

Keep forgetting those dog-awful BTX units only have DDR RAM. Dell sure did a job on those units on the "built-in obsolence" front, hell they even picked a platform standard that failed just to ensure virtually nothing on those Optis could be reused! :mad:

Should have known Dell could only win by failing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We (Peats) sold out of the original stacker there a few weeks back. Let me check to see if I can get anything that might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn just checked with two suppliers and no luck. I'll have a scout around on Monday if that's any use to you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KAYPEE

thanks a mill for all the help lads sorry i havent been able to reply all weekend. It looks like using this motherboard etc is going to just keep holding me back in many ways so i think il just have to upgrade.

please see my other thread lol :o thank lads for all the input ;)

Advertisement