Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY shed / garage

Options
  • 14-11-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi I have just bought a house. I would like to build a garage to keep my car in. But because most of my saving are cleaned out, i will have to build as cost effictive as possible.

My grandfather reckons you just dig a hole a couple of feet deep and fill in with concrete. i think he made it sound simplier than it actually is.

I am handy with the hands and have a few mates that are very helpful. Is there any recommendations to having the foundations laid and walls built? Where should I start. Although I have no building experience hopefully i can learn as i go and not mess things up too much..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

foundation a piece of cake.

get that dug in a day poured the next.( plenty of info about faoundations here including pricing etc worth reading to get better idea for yoursefl)

the block laying is a different matter altogether. will be hard to get right and if you want it to look right it could work out cheaper getting a blockie for 2 day rather than building half and thinkin it looks crap than pullin it down then hiring a blockie.

roof is fairly handy too.

problem is ( and i really dont have much knowledge on this ) is the planning side of things. i know there is certain sizes that you dont need planning for and if you ikntend attaching the garage to your house there is building reg issues you will have to look into .

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭stezie

thanks for the advise. yeah its going to be a stand alone garage in the corner of the back garden. I dont think i will complicate things so i will but on a flat roof with a lean on it. maybe i'll use kingspan on the roof for insulation and hopefully the garage will be built in a short space of time.

Any ideas how much blockies are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

stezie wrote: »
    thanks for the advise. yeah its going to be a stand alone garage in the corner of the back garden. I dont think i will complicate things so i will but on a flat roof with a lean on it. maybe i'll use kingspan on the roof for insulation and hopefully the garage will be built in a short space of time.

Any ideas how much blockies are now?
    One piece of advice on the flat roof "DONT".An A roof may be more expensive at the outset,but will be cheaper in the long run

One piece of advice on the flat roof "DONT".An A roof may be more expensive at the outset,but will be cheaper in the long run

Even for just a plain old garage in the corner of the garden? I dont think ill ever live in it so it doesnt have to look like the house... :o

i think he means that it will lak and you will inevitable have to replace it more times than an apex.

anyway . put a small fall on it to one side. it will be grand for your purpose.

( and as fr not living in it ........ the relationship with the missus might not always be so good ha ha ha)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

might work out cheaper to steel clad it instead of hiring a blockie. I made a shed last summer, aldi welder and a rake of 2" angle iron for the frame, then I just screwed on galvanised sheets for the exterior
    but I used a wooden base on sleds instead of pouring cement, and extratherm for insulation

@Martron - I see now, a flat roof might not get rid of the water easily and so may lag under the weight and give out eventually? I was thinking of building the wall up and extra block or so on one side so that the roof leans.
    ( also isnt it a great thing there is no missus.. ;) the place is all mines and the bank managers! lol I'd be more worried about falling out with him lol thats why i need to keep costs to a minimum as I am at my limit with loans at the min )

@ Mawk
    I'm curious how did that turn out for you? Is it sturdy enough for a windy day, and is it dry inside? Any issues with condensation? How expensive did it work out for the cladding and iron for your build?

exactly build one wall higher. and then have gutter at the other end.

a flat roof will have to be drained and i think you would be in serious trouble if you built a roof that gave way under the weight of rain water.

but one course of blocks one one side should create enough of a fall.

Advertisement