Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Job as a Food Scientist

Options
  • 14-11-2009 11:24am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Occupation: Food Scientist, working in the area of microbiologocal safety of foods.
    Academic Qualifications Held: PhD (Food Microbiology), Graduate Diploma in Food Science & Technology, Diploma in food Science,
    Other training/qualifications: Quality Management systems (ISO9000 series & ISO17025 mainly), Prince 2 Project Management practicioner, LIMS, General IT training
    Previous jobs: Factory Operative, Laboratory Technician, Fast Food & Retail work.
    Daily/weekly routine: This changes regularly which is good. I do a certain amount of Lab managemnt work like record keeping, training new staff, organising equipment maintenance & calibration, planning out project/lab work etc. I also do a fair bit of lab work, and what that is depends on what research projects are currently in progress. I also do a lot of development, training and support for the computerised lab. info system (LIMS).
    Age Bracket: 40-50
    General Comments: I've been in this particular job for 18 years and it has evolved and changed constantly, which keeps it fresh. I can say I'm happy with the work I'm doing, despite not knowing what I wanted to do when I was approaching Leaving cert. A general food science background has ensured I've been qualified to take on a wide range of roles that my employer has asked me to take on in the last 18 years - Lab technician, Lab manager, Project Manager, Quality manager, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hi, I'm interested in doing something in the science area. I love working in labs (although I've only had experience in my own school one). Might I ask what's the pay like for lab work/research, and how does it increase with experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Your job sounds really interesting Gaspode!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

jumpguy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm interested in doing something in the science area. I love working in labs (although I've only had experience in my own school one). Might I ask what's the pay like for lab work/research, and how does it increase with experience?

Hi jumpguy, good to hear you're interested in science. Salaries are hard to call as its a while since I've looked at moving jobs, but there are a couple of places you could go to get an idea.
    Here's one from loadzajobs.ie, and Brightwater.ie also have a salary calculator on their front page.
    I would have said that 20-25k would be the starting point for a basic lab analyst/technician/researcher job, and with a PhD rather than a degree you would probably be at the upper end of that, or higher. There are laboratory positions now and then in the public service that would tend to start around 21-22k and go up to about 32k after a number years. they have a better level of job stability but the chances of further promotion/progress are less than in the private sector.

There are so many different roles you could be filling though its hard to give you a definitive answer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Piste wrote: »
    Your job sounds really interesting Gaspode!

Thanks Piste, it is and that's what makes it easy to go to work every day.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Me too!

I'm a food scientist too - got degree from UCD -working in food industry as a QA (Quality Assurance Officer) - working for a very big, well known Irish food company, got in on their Graduate programme. One thing I'll say about QA work - it's tough going - long hours (although that does/will depend on factory/company) and it can be hard as you often have to "fight" against pordction if there are issues.

One of the best Pro's of the job that I find is having people (operatives) coming to you with issues - its up to you to mak the call or decide wht to do - it's nice to know people value/needou opinion. :-)

Did you work as a QA on a factory floor Gaspode?

• Advertisement

xeroshero wrote: »

Did you work as a QA on a factory floor Gaspode?

I did indeed. My first job was as a laboratory/QA technician in a meat plant in Coolock in the early 80s. It was tough going in a way for a 17yr old, making decisions on holding/reworking product, whether or not to halt production, etc. but it helped me develop a thick skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Hey, I am interested in doing a degree in Food Science or Nutrition this year.
    I am interested in becoming a dietitian or food inspector.
    Any advice for what course I should go for?

Advertisement