Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark side of the Marathon

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

christeb wrote: »
    "I didn't run a sub-17 today so I'll do it tomorrow" - brilliant! What do you feel went wrong (or not quite right) today? Do you think your legs will be in better shape tomorrow?

I just think it was lack of race sharpness to be honest. You know when you havent played ball in a while and then you go back and youre making stupid mistakes, really silly little things. Youre not as sharp or aware either, you get skinned all over the shop. But within the space of a few games you have your sharpness back.
    Thats what I think it was. Even all this week I didnt feel in race mode mentally. But now after that today, I am in race mode and so tomorrow Im pretty sure I'll go under 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

tunguska wrote: »
    Saturday 5th December:

Donore Harriers 5k(I cant refer to it as the "Jingle bells 5k".........ok I just did, but its a ridiculous name for a race with such a good quality field).

Just back form this race. Did 17:02 or thereabouts(my timing, not offical timing).
    First race since marathon so not bad. Having said that it shouldve been a sub 17min performance. Need to take the speed work up a notch in training.
    ''##'/]'Gonna run the bhaa 5k tomorrow just to see if I can do better.

Maybe you have trained too hard with a few days off for a race maybe a better option. For a lad that was aiming for 2.34 in the marathon i would have thought a sub 16 would have been your aim and a formality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

tunguska wrote: »
    I just think it was lack of race sharpness to be honest. You know when you havent played ball in a while and then you go back and youre making stupid mistakes, really silly little things. Youre not as sharp or aware either, you get skinned all over the shop. But within the space of a few games you have your sharpness back.
    Thats what I think it was. Even all this week I didnt feel in race mode mentally. But now after that today, I am in race mode and so tomorrow Im pretty sure I'll go under 17.

How fast do you think youd go if you tapered down the training for one of these races? I know your in marathon training atm , with your track session the other day i'd say you'd be in the low 16's whats your 5k pb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

take it now, live it do it ,fear it, for me the time is gone did 7 marathons and a hell of a lot more .
    now i struggle to walk ,somtimes to live, iv have done and seen what most men dream of,
    thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm pretty sure you won't :cool: Let's call it a hunch based on physical science. Hope you prove me wrong !

I'm straight telling on you :D I'll let him know your words before the race this morning. Might spur him on a bit.

Didnt get to run bhaa 5k today. Was definitely up for it but due to circumstamnces beyond my control I was up the entire night and didnt get to bed until 7:30 this morning. No, not out drinking or acting the maggott, something a little less exciting Im afraid.
    Anyway, lads, relax. I stated before the race that my speed still wasnt up to pre-marathon standards and I was only using yesterdays race as a speed session. And thats why I dont taper for these races, theyre training sessions. Trust me, when Im racing properly I prepare in the right way. So let me say in advance that the aware 10k next saturday is another training session for me. There'll be no taper, its speed work and thats all it is.

Lads Im knocking the log on the head. Im finding that Im explaining myself way too much which is something I said I wasnt going to do. Its becoming an energy drain and thats something I can do without.
    Besides, I read this book once by Richard Templar called "The rules of life" and rule number one is: Keep it under your hat.

"There may well be times when you want to talk to other people about what youre doing because, quite naturally, you want to share it with somebody. Well you cant and you don’t. Let them find out for themselves with no clues from you. You may think this unfair but it is actually fairer than you believe. If you tell them, they’ll shy away. And quite rightly so - we all hate being preached at. It’s a bit like when you give up smoking and suddenly find this new healthier way of living and you simply have to convert all you old smoking friends. Trouble is, they aren’t ready to quit yet and you find the label you as smug or a prig or even worse, an ex-smoker. And how we all hate those.
    So the first rule is, quite simply, don’t preach, propagate, try to convert, shout from rooftops or even mention this".

The rules of life, Templar, richard, 2006

So Im gonna go with rule number 1 and keep it under my hat.

Just want to say thanks to everybody who followed the log and im sorry if you're not happy with my decision to knock it on the head.

Anyway, thats enough waffle. Over to you Herr Mozart..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's a shame. I was enjoying reading about your Pink Floyd-flavoured path to a faster marathon. Best of luck with your goals anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I echo what Krusty said above.
    You have over 3000 views in a very short space of time,people are interested in your training.
    You are a level above whats on here at present and people that want to improve are looking at you for some tips,thats all.
    I understand where your coming from,i would not like constant questions thrown at me.
    Thats probably why runners at your level dont keep logs so public.
    Good luck with your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Really not happy about closing this as it was one of the most challenging threads on here. It certainly made me reappraise my own training.

But thanks for what you did share and please feel free to call into all of our respective logs and leave a few pearls of wisdom behind ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement