Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced diving watch for a present?

• 14-11-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

My (retired) dad got into diving in a big way about 5 years ago and he's done well over 50 dives at this stage. He's also got PADI certifications coming out of his you know what!

He still doesn't have a diving watch though, so I was thinking about a Christmas present. I have no clue about diving gear so I'd appreciate any advice you could give. I'm happy to buy on the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Is it a dive watch or dive computer you are after? as you can get the two in one......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

how much are you thinking about spending?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

I'm a non-diver, so don't know what a dive computer is. What do they do? I thought dive watches had depth info and that was it. :confused:

I'm looking at spending around €200. I've been looking through some other threads in the forum and one linked to Citizen Aqualand 3 that are reasonably priced. Are these ok?
    http://www.skywatches.com.sg/citizenpromaster/aqualand_3/Citizen_Aqualand_3.htm

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

A 'basic' dive watch is a watch that is 200m water resistant and has a unidirectional rotating bezel. It does nothing more than tell you the elapsed time since you set the bezel as you descend. You need to have a separate depth gauge.

More advanced watches such as the Citizen you mentioned have a depth gauge built in. My one tells me current depth, max depth, elapsed time and water temperature during a dive, and once you've surfaced the 'Log' mode gives you max depth, average depth, dive time, water temperature, start time and end time for each of your last four dives.

Both of these options need to be used in conjunction with 'the tables' to prevent decompression sickness ('the bends').

A dive computer is a much more advanced piece of kit altogether, and essentially has 'the tables' built in, so that at any given time it displays the amount of time you can remain at the current depth without needing to decompress. This number is a dynamic one, as in it changes according to what you do - gives you a longer time if you ascend, less time if you descend etc.

See this thread ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055695461 ) where we had a debate a few weeks ago about minimum specifications for a dive watch. Someone put a link in the thread to a website selling dive watches that meet these specifications and are within your price range. (Careful though, not all the watches on that link are actually suitable)

You might find a dive computer in your budget, but it may not be suitable for the type of diving your dad wants to do, so I wouldn't recommend going ahead and buying one without checking with him. Many divers, however, use a dive watch as a back up for their computer in case of malfunction, so even if he has a computer, he will still get use out of a dive watch if you buy him one.

If you can get a Citizen Aqualand or Promaster within your budget, go for it. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Great info Locum - thanks for taking the time to post that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Why not give your Dad a voucher to whatever value and he can decide himself what to get.

He may have different priorities altogether. Then again, he may gladly pay the extra and get a dive computer for half price!

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Lots of info there from Loco on the difference between a comp and a watch.

You will easily pick up a computer for around 200 euro.
    If your Dad is a round the 50 dive mark I can't imagine he'd be looking for anything too technical, i.e. mixed gas capabilities.

You will get a Suunto Gekko for around 200 euro. As far as I know it is Air and nitrox compatable and is an excellent Dive computer.

http://www.oceanlife.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30&osCsid=nk1vfisrug62jldslle4ba97n5

There is also a Suunto Mosquito, which is both a watch and a dive computer. Might be a tad more expensive, but not much.

i don't know if this info is of any help, but I'd tend to agree one of the other posts about a voucher.

A lot of gear selection is influenced by who you dive with, i.e. centres and friends will have an influence on what gear divers buy. For this reason your Dad may already have something in mind??

loctite wrote: »
    You will easily pick up a computer for around 200 euro.
    If your Dad is a round the 50 dive mark I can't imagine he'd be looking for anything too technical, i.e. mixed gas capabilities.

Ah, yes, but how do you, Loctite, know that Barack's dad hasn't booked himself onto a technical diving/mixed gas course that starts next week?
    Maybe Barack's dad is currently saving up for a mixed gas computer, and a basic, non-mixed gas on would be no use to him. That's why I said not to buy a computer without checking with him first.

If a computer has more functionality, then I might be better off going for that - especially if they are the same price. If I went for a diving watch and it lacked functionality, then it would be a waste.

Locum - I might have a chat with him and ask about what kind of diving he's been doing and planning to do. He might give me enough hints without me having to give the surprise away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

You should ask the people he usually dives with! They'll have a good idea what would suit him!

I use a Suunto Vyper and find it great. The simpler and cheaper version is the Gekko. I found these guys good to buy from (bought a compass from them)...

Suunto Vyper
    Suunto Gekko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

get him the Vyper

gary82 wrote: »
    You should ask the people he usually dives with! They'll have a good idea what would suit him!

Good suggestion, Gary.
    I use a Suunto Vyper and find it great. The simpler and cheaper version is the Gekko. I found these guys good to buy from (bought a compass from them)...

Suunto Vyper
    Suunto Gekko
    ShevY wrote: »
    get him the Vyper

IF Mr Obama Snr is planing on doing multigas decompression diving at some time in the future, then neither of those would be suitable, which was why I recommended not going for the computer without more information. Of course, most divers don't do multigas decompression diving.

Also, I thought Suunto had replaced the Vyper with the Vyper 11 a couple of years ago, I didn't realise the Vyper was still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Also, I thought Suunto had replaced the Vyper with the Vyper 11 a couple of years ago, I didn't realise the Vyper was still available.

No I don't think the Vyper II replaced the Vyper... I'd say there was a big drop in sales from the big price jump, and all for a digital compass which I hear isn't that great to use. So they wisely didn't remove the Vyper (I) from the market (still sitting beside the Vyper II on the website). I personally prefer a normal analogue compass so wouldn't pay any extra for a digital one. There's some additional options about changing gas mixes mid-dive too but I havn't had need for that yet so not too sure about the details there...

Vyper 1 ftw! :cool:

There's some additional options about changing gas mixes mid-dive too but I havn't had need for that yet so not too sure about the details there...

Yeah, I nearly had to use that function myself when I went to the U-260 with 27% (I think, I'd need to check the logbook) EANx last year, and I'd forgotten to pre-order EANx for the pony so had air in it. I had the 2 mixes set up in the computer, but in the end didn't need to use the pony and so didn't need to switch the computer over mid-dive. Would've come in handy, though, if I'd needed the pony for any reason.

I met with my dad for a coffee today and had a chat about diving (told him I was talking to someone that is very experienced). He's never done mixed gas diving but he might in the future. Also, he mentioned that he has a diving watch, so it's a good job I didn't go for one!

So, it looks like I'm going to get a diving computer. The Suunto Vyper looks like a good option and just within budget.

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 divesean

hi in my opion my friend if you dad is well into diving the new luna computer is very gd safe and is just basic...as you dad proggres in the world of diving he dont need to buy a new 1 he just goes to the local dive shop or online and upgrade or up date it ok at a cost but its a cheaper way than buying a computer, then getting new 1 as the old 1 didnt have it or do it as it goes on on....in 6 years of diving i have had 4 diffrent dive computers but then again it depends on the budget you have and if you can get citizen for that price well great aqualand NX{also citzen} is a great dive comp/watch air and nitrox...and good deco planning.....good luck and happy hunting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hi everyone

My (retired) dad got into diving in a big way about 5 years ago and he's done well over 50 dives at this stage. He's also got PADI certifications coming out of his you know what!

He still doesn't have a diving watch though, so I was thinking about a Christmas present. I have no clue about diving gear so I'd appreciate any advice you could give. I'm happy to buy on the internet.

they are discontinued now, but get yourself a suunto mosquito. has vast majority of the features of more expensive watches (dive planning, dive log, ean set to whatever you want it, free diving).

because it is discontinued you can get it at a real bargain.

Advertisement