Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone not working after geting wet in rain - insurance

• 14-11-2009 1:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an iPhone, and yesterday when coming home from work on the bike it was p1ssing rain - some water got into my pocket and when i got home the phone would not turn on. Also it was very hot to the touch so it must have fried.

I have insurance with 02 - will this be covered? I remember hearing something like water damage is not covered, and inside phones is a piece of card that changes colour if it gets wet, so they will know if it was water damage that broke it.

This is the page but it says nothing about it
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Find+out+more/Insurance#paymonthlyextra
    Anyone know for sure?

What do i do now to try to make a claim to get a new phone?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I can't answer you for sure but in that link, there's a list of what the insurance does not cover and there's no mention about moisture damage so legally they should be covering it I think.

I know vodafones insurance covers water damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yenwod wrote: »
    I can't answer you for sure but in that link, there's a list of what the insurance does not cover and there's no mention about moisture damage so legally they should be covering it I think.

I know vodafones insurance covers water damage.

Vodafone's insurance is not worth the paper its written on, unless you report it stolen. I had claims refused because of water and similar damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

You could always contact Apple directly, say the phone got really hot and you were worried it was going to explode so you doused it with water :D. No doubt you'll have to sign a confidentiality agreement but they might throw a few euros your way to keep you quiet!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/exploding_iphone/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Vodafone's insurance is not worth the paper its written on, unless you report it stolen. I had claims refused because of water and similar damage.
    Really? Coz I know someone who used to work in a vodafone shop and used to subtly tell people who came in with a faulty phone that water damaged phones couldn't be repaired so had to be replaced *hint hint* and so their insurance covered it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

You're better off reporting it lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Zascar wrote: »
    I have an iPhone, and yesterday when coming home from work on the bike it was p1ssing rain - some water got into my pocket and when i got home the phone would not turn on. Also it was very hot to the touch so it must have fried.

I have insurance with 02 - will this be covered? I remember hearing something like water damage is not covered, and inside phones is a piece of card that changes colour if it gets wet, so they will know if it was water damage that broke it.

This is the page but it says nothing about it
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Find+out+more/Insurance#paymonthlyextra
    Anyone know for sure?

What do i do now to try to make a claim to get a new phone?
    Thanks

The GF had her liquid damaged iPhone replaced by O2 Insurance before, just declare it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why oh why did you venture down the fruit route..... TBH best is to just report it lost / stolen, they can on a whim tell you where to go as is a company who is losing their contract for this vegtable is want, no phone, no choice but to replace it.

MC

Advertisement