Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number Crunching PC. and everything else.

Options
  • 14-11-2009 1:28pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭

Dear Friends,

I need a new PC. It has to be powerful. I need everything - monitor and keyboard and mouse and wireless network card (I have a wireless router downstairs, and I'm not bothered strining cable round my house. Or should I?) etc.

I do a lot of Mathematics research using Matlab and Matematica etc. I don't like waiting for these programs when I am doing a very intensive or long calculation. So RAM is a big deal. Obviously 6 or 8 gigs would be nice but what kind of trouble would I have running software on a 64 bit processor. It wouldn't be worth it for me to buy 64 bit versions of all my software just so I can use another few gigs of RAM.

Also I like gaming. I plan on getting Fallout 3 (I grew up on Fallout 1 and 2. Great fun) and want to run that on near to full specs if at all possible. I like audio and recording and digital editing of audio and photos and movies. So a decent sound card and a terrific graphics card.

I was thinking of getting most of the system made and delivered by Hardwareversand and then upgrading a few parts maybe. Does that sound like a plan? But i'd gladly get the enitre thing from them too if that represents the best value and performance.

I was playing around with their PC Configurator there and I was making some nice AMD systems with the Phenom II X4 965, 4 gigs of Cosair Ram and 1 gig ATI (I love them. But I'd live with NVidia) card etc and It was all around 650 euro. Add in 20 for assembly and 30 for delivery and I was over the moon with 700 euro for a great new PC.

Basically I would like some insightful individual here to give me suggestions and "build" me a new PC please and thank you.

Also, I don't need an operating system. I have a Windows XP cd and I'll also install Ubuntu :rolleyes:.

There is no rush on the entire system so I can shop around and wait for deliveries from various companies. But maybe not too many companies, because that increases the likelihood of something going wrong. :eek:

Budget is around 750 give or take 50 euro. Screen has to be nice but doesn't have to be huge. 22" would be my max. And 19" my min I'd say.

I am open to overclocking a system. Just thought I'd say that If it changes anything.

I don't need a blu-ray player. Nor do I want one, but if you can't avoid suggesting one for me, fair enough.

I hope I supplied enough information.

Happy designing..:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

At this stage,64Bit is as compatible as 32bit,unlike years ago on XP.

I'd go with a Samsung F3 1TB for your HDD,and one of the Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW drive.

You dont mention what ATI card your getting,so I cant advise on that.

Asus do great sound cards,you can find their Xonar range on Elara.ie

I'd stick with a Phenom II but change the 965 for a 955 and OC the 955,you will want to pick up an aftermarket cooler.The Sycthe Mugen II or Xigmatek Dark Night are both great budget coolers.Both are on sale from Komplett at around €40

You also dont mention what case you have selected,this is imporant if you are getting an aftermarket cooler because not all coolers will fit in all cases.

What motherboard are you getting,I'd recommend Asus M4A79 series or Gigabyte's UD series.Both great OC'ing boards,you cnat go wrong with either

Also,you will need a decent PSU to power all that,I'll recommend a Corsair HX650.It will have enough juice if you want to add another graphics card later on and has excellent warranty.Thats also on Komplett for €110.

I have quouted some stuff from other websites but you should be able to find most of the on hardwareversand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Thanks for that Deano. Very helpful. I havn't actually selected anything concrete on hardwareversand. I'm just looking round like. Kinda hoping someone will just make me a full system and tell point me in the right direction ;)

Is this any good? http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2908206/art/ankermann/phenom-ii-ultra-quad.html#tech-specs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Pi^2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Deano. Very helpful. I havn't actually selected anything concrete on hardwareversand. I'm just looking round like. Kinda hoping someone will just make me a full system and tell point me in the right direction ;)

Is this any good? http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2908206/art/ankermann/phenom-ii-ultra-quad.html#tech-specs

it's not bad, but I think it's generally found ankermann to use cheap unbranded components wherever possible.

I'd say a hardwareversand 965/955 build be best. Btw, I only really think that large amounts of RAM are necessary when working on large matrices...

say something like this for a base:

Phenom II x4 965 BE €155
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO €87
    4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 €79
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 €24

then maybe:
    Powercolor HD4770 512MB €81
    Corsair VX550 PSU €68

€495. HDD, Case, Optical, additional RAM or better GFX is then up to your own preferences.

Advertisement