Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ,HOW TO GET RID OF POO SMELL

Options
  • 14-11-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

HI got up this morning to poor dog having had worse case of diarrhea ever during the night . Took him straight to vet who sorted him out again ( this is a continuous problem with him ) . My problem is how do I get rid of smell it is awful . I've washed floors (wooden)about six times now and it still stinks. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is turning my daughters stomach and she is stuck up stairs away from it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Buy a product called fourpaws or 4paws. most petshops should have it, if not then any good vets place will have it....its great for getting rid of pee and poop smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Did the vet give any indication as to what's causing the runs, has he suggested an alternative food to avoid it happening or happening as often?

If it's wooden floors and there are gaps in it the poop could of sunk right down into it if the gaps are big enough you could try putting something like cotton buds soaked in vinegar and water along it to lift up any poop caught in the gaps.

It sounds like the poop has soaked in under the floor it might be a case of having to take the floor up and clean underneath if it has soaked badly into it.

If not other methods that work to get rid of pet smells are the following if you soak a cloth and make sure the cloth isn't too wet when washing the floor.

Soda water or
    Biological washing powder or
    Cheap white vinegar or
    Water and tea tree oil or
    Water and lavender oil.

If you haven't tried any of these give them a go, obviously open up the windows as wide as possible the cold windy weather will help air out the room.
    Burn some essential oils strong ones like Patchouli with lavender or tea tree.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

Thank you I will give your idea's a go . The floor is a sealed solid wood and has no gaps at all .I have all the windows in the house open and also have candles lit .

Vet has injected him to help with the gas in his stomach and has told me not to feed him at all today .Gave me some sachets of powder to put in his water bowl . He has been on burns food for 3 years now ,but vet has changed this now to Royal Canine digestive low fat and hopes this will settle him.Have to send off poo sample to rule out anything serious . This is forth time since start of September that he has had a bad tummy.:(

Thank you for your great help I washed floors again in bio powder then went out to get some four paws and when I got back the smell was gone . Now I have a happy daughter so just to to pray the dog gets better now .
    Thanks again :)

Nice one, great that the floors are sealed at least there'll be no pulling up of floor boards. The poor fella, some dogs have very sensative tums. Ours are on Burns potatoe and pork, they were on chicken and rice but the little dog with the sensative tums poo wasn't as solid as I liked so I switched to the pork and potatoe and there's a big difference. Some dogs aparently can't tolerate grains. Although each dog is different you might end up going through a few foods but happily there's lots of different brands on the market.

I always found the Royal Canin sensative great for them when they had the runs, it really firms up the poop.
    The Lectade (prob. the powder stuff you got) is great in the water as well, for some reason most dogs love it too and will drink the whole lot in one go which is great when you need them to drink more fluids.

I've had to stop the majority of treats with our lot, pigs ears seem to be the main culprit with ours, even our collie who always seemed to have an iron stomach had a really bad bout of the runs last time she had a pigs ear.

Hope your guy is feeling better, the smell shouldn't return but if it lingers around doing the same thing again should work.

• Advertisement

Thanks gp . We did the rounds with all the different foods before we put him on burns . The only one he doesnt like is the fish one . Funny you should mention pigs ear my husband gave him one last week, but would it take that long to upset his tummy ? He is a Dalmatian and normally devours anything put in front of him.

Poor thing is starving now and has the saddest eyes looking at me waiting on food but he has to wait till tomorrow morning . I'm hoping he sleeps so it wont be to hard on him .

Smell is still gone so fingers crossed .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Biological washing powder gets rid of the smell off poo off floors (solid or carpet) brilliantly. I just open the windows for about an hour to clear out any smell that is lingering in the room after it has been cleaned.

Wrt pig ears - some of mine can't eat them because it give them very didgy bellies (and very smelly poos), could be the culprit. Royal Canin Sensitivity is great stuff, I have one of mine on it perminantly because she suffers with colitis and has a hard time on other foods. Definately worth a try. Grains are her big problem, esp. wheat. Has your vet given you a probiotic (something like Prokolin) to help clear up the dodgy belly? You can just pop in to get it and it really help the process along.

Hope results come back ok :)

Hi Lorebringer vet gave me bio-critical sachets to put into water . He only drank about half a bowl of water all day , he would usually drink a lot more . I hope thats enough for him .

The washing powder seems to have done the job I had been using just wood floor cleaner but it was'nt doing any good. I would never normally have this problem as he's never had accident like that in the house its usually in the back garden .

mlettis wrote: »
    Hi Lorebringer vet gave me bio-critical sachets to put into water . He only drank about half a bowl of water all day , he would usually drink a lot more . I hope thats enough for him

As far as I am aware, these are rehydration sachets (similar to the ones children are given when they get diarrhea). He probably doesn't like the taste of them, my dogs certinally don't - won't go near the water if I put them into it. The sachets are used to replace the salts lost when they have a bad bout of diarrhea. If you are worried about him drinking, give him plain water. When they have upset bellies it is very important to get fluid into them. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Half a bowl is good if you can get half a bowl of the bio critical into him and then after that perhaps put down a bowl of regular water so at least he's taken some of the important stuff and then has access to regular water main thing is to keep him hydrated. He probably won't be mad thirsty because he's not allowed to eat at the moment but easy enough to tell if he's getting enough. If you gently pinch his skin and it goes back down he's hydrated, if it stays standing up for a while and is slow to spring back to normal he needs more fluids.

Dogs are pretty tough though, it's so hard not to feed them for 24 hours but it really does make a difference and they recover quicker if they are fasting for a while I gave in and stupidly fed my pooch and it just made her recovery longer and had to fast her in the end. Very hard when they look at you as if to say where the heck is my dinner lol.

Always handy to have some lectade or similar on hand dogs/cats etc. tend to get the runs at awkward times and it's great to have on hand to perk them up must stock up myself.

My little dog loves the Lectade the collie was a bit suss at first but then she drank it. Usually able to give them a half a pint in one go. You'll find once he's eating again he'll drink more for you.

The pigs ear can take a couple of days to take effect it's such a pity because they all love them but after the last bout my collie had never again.

They love to make us worry but he'll be bouncing around again in no time.

• Advertisement

Thanks gpr he did drink the half bowl with the sachet in it this morning but nothing since . He is sitting with is back to me now which usually means he's sulking and not happy with me , his water is right beside him i keep trying to get him to drink more but he's not having it .
    I will leave him without the food till morning hopefully he will like the new stuff

Well results are back and it looks like some pancreas problem. Had to take him back to vet yesterday as he was very ill again . Need to bring him back again tomorrow for blood test so hopefully we will know more then. Poor thing he's really fed up with himself .

mlettis wrote: »
    Well results are back and it looks like some pancreas problem. Had to take him back to vet yesterday as he was very ill again . Need to bring him back again tomorrow for blood test so hopefully we will know more then. Poor thing he's really fed up with himself .

Oh dear, so sorry to hear. Hope it can get sorted and he will be back to himeself soon.

Hi thanks lorebringer no idea what that will mean to my poor dog I will have a chat with vet tomorrow when getting the bloods done . All I know at the minute poor thing is very fed up with himself

Advertisement