Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

savage bass fishin

Options
  • 14-11-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

got some good bass yesterday in a big swell. The water was 90% clean with a big roller but the bass were in fighting form. Fished a place i hadent been to since 1995 / 96. No one else fishs this spot so the fish werent shy. Got a dbl figure fish and three around the 6lbs mark all in the space of 2hrs. Returned all fish to fight another day. The dbl figure and one smaller fish caught on a shrimp fly. The others on a copper toby. This time of year sure is good for the bigger average fish in this spot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

So you gonna share this spot with us?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

great fishing well done, isnt it great when a spot produces the goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pflyfish

been bass fishing along the west waterford / east cork coast since around 1990. A bit worried about saying too much about the exact locations as too many guys are only interested in knocking the bass over the head. I find the bigger fish frequent the same locations, when they are killed it takes a long time for the area to recover. I have found this to my cost as in the early ninties i killed too many big fish in some spots to find there are only so many big fish these spots.
    There are so many schoolie sized fish about i think its well worth returning the bigger fish as many dbl figure fish are over 25 years old. (This can be checked by counting the scale rings behind the fin)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Great fishing, and well done for releasing them. I would keep that mark to yourself if I were you, only tell those you trust, and definitely not over an internet forum anyone can read!
    Double figure bass aren't all that common, thats a cracker. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

How late in the year would you usually lure fish for Bass, sounds like a great spot not too many secret locations left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

great story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pflyfish

when i had time i would have lure fished for bass through the winter months. obviously this was only possible when the water was suitable. The fish were not as plentiful during the winter but the chance of a good fish was always there. Dont have as much time now with kids, so i just fish when i get a chance, at any time of year.
    Fly fishing the beaches in winter can be good for the bass and the occassional sea trout. Never took to the bottom fishing........

Advertisement