Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help please.

• 14-11-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi I need a little help with my car.

I have a 01 Citroen Xsara and the windscreen wipers have stopped working. They stopped working the other night as I was pulling into a petrol station and as I was pulling in the car shuddered and the wipers stopped working. I have tried changing the fuse but to no avail. The rear wiper and the washer jets on the front and back are working but I am getting nothing when I try to turn on the wipers. They just dont move. I hear a click from the stalk when I try to turn them on but no movement.

Has anyone any ideas of anything I can try myself before I bring it to a mechanic?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Sounds like the wiper motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fintan Stack

Check the connection on the stalk and the motor (if you can see it) under the bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Be extremely careful if you're working on the wipers, the motor is really strong and it's easy to get injured when working on linkages etc. make sure battery is disconnected if you go messing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Check the connection on the stalk and the motor (if you can see it) under the bonnet.
    How would I do that now. Is there anything I should look out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fintan Stack

How would I do that now. Is there anything I should look out for?

You'll have to remove the plastic steering column surround, shouldn't be more than a couple of screws. Just make sure the connector isn't loose or anything.

But as said when working with electrics, disconnect the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

As mentioned above could be the motor. The click you're hearing is probably the wiper motor relay responding to the switch when you turn it. This would rule out the stalk switch being at fault, but without testing it I couldnt be sure. There are a few estsyou could do, are you mechanically minded...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

AzureAuto wrote: »
    As mentioned above could be the motor. The click you're hearing is probably the wiper motor relay responding to the switch when you turn it. This would rule out the stalk switch being at fault, but without testing it I couldnt be sure. There are a few estsyou could do, are you mechanically minded...?
    A little mechanically minded but I wouldn't do anything unless I was confident I was doing it right.
    What are these tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Hi pyramuid man,
    After checking fuses....it could be relay or Motor.Sometimes the stalk can go faulty...:rolleyes:
    Heres a diagram of the xsara wiper motor/linkage....:)
    If you need electrical drawings etc pm me with your vin number and rpo number....;)
    Ron.

Xsarawipermotor-linkage.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

First check the fuse. If that is fine, set a multimeter to check for voltage. Access the connector for the wiper motor, which will be around the wiper linkage, Disconnect the connector and check for battery voltage in the supply side of circuit with the ignition key at position 2 and the wiper switched on at each of its speed settings. Put the black probe onto a good chassis earth and probe each of the connector pins until you find the supply wire. If you have battery voltage (usually around 11-12V), this eliminates the switch and relay. If not, check the supply voltage to the relay, and the relevant engine earth for security and cleanliness.
    Bench test the motor using a good DC supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Snappermalawi

Let me know if you need a second hand motor. I have a xsara the engine and gearbox are gone but I have all the other parts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement