Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever done an Undergrad abroad and how much did it cost?

• 14-11-2009 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever done an undergrad degree abroad and how much did it cost? I've heard people say that the registration fee here is still more expensive than fees in other countries?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 colinf1

Hey,
    Ive done my Degree course in Huddersfield, UK.

Youre talkin about £7,000 per year to cover you.

You can get a Tution Fee Loan which covers the cost of the course (£3250~), and you dont start paying it back until you graduate and earn over £15,000 (i think).

You can also get the Maintenace Grant from your local county council, which is around €3400. That will cover your accomation & most of your food/bills etc.
    Depending on the University you chose, you can also get a non repayable grant, between £500 and £1000 to help with extra expenses.

So really, if you can get all the grants, you end up not needing alot of money to get you through.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Thanks, anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hi, I'm currently studying for my undergrad (degree) in Turin, in Italy, year 1 of 3.

For entrance, firstly to be considered eligible I had to write a letter of introduction, get a letter of recommendation from my principal and get my Leaving Cert validated by the Italian embassy up in Dublin. Then at the start of September I went over to do the entrance exam (based on logic, reasoning, technical drawing, european history) and was offered a place by the skin of my teeth.

My reasoning for going here was that the course (Design Communication) in CIT (Cork) seemed a bit wishy-washy, there was a course in Dublin, but the cost of living in Dublin would be expensive anyway, and I don't like the city so much.

There are fees here: the registration fee was 268 euro, and the tuition fee is 1500 per year. Plus living expenses, which are something like 500-600 per month for bills, rent, course materials, transport and food. So, effectively, I'm almost saving money compared to studying up in Dublin (I was anticipating that they'd bring back in college fees...in which case it would have made even more sense)

I don't qualify for a maintenance grant, because of my parents earnings. It was hard to talk to the banks about loans, especially as I was planning all this right around the time capitalism crashed earlier this year :pac: but I had been working in a call centre for a year after the leaving cert, and I had enough money saved up to cover my first year here. Hopefully I'l be able to get a grant or funding for my second year, otherwise I'll have to turn to the bank of Mum and Dad, something that doesn't fill my heart with glee...

Hope this helps in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

I'm thinking of applying to study in London, what is the story with getting a hold of those Maintenance Grants? They sound rather helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

I'd love to hear any more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

me too. hertfordshire maintenance grant anyone?.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

kaki wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently studying for my undergrad (degree) in Turin, in Italy, year 1 of 3.

For entrance, firstly to be considered eligible I had to write a letter of introduction, get a letter of recommendation from my principal and get my Leaving Cert validated by the Italian embassy up in Dublin. Then at the start of September I went over to do the entrance exam (based on logic, reasoning, technical drawing, european history) and was offered a place by the skin of my teeth.

My reasoning for going here was that the course (Design Communication) in CIT (Cork) seemed a bit wishy-washy, there was a course in Dublin, but the cost of living in Dublin would be expensive anyway, and I don't like the city so much.

There are fees here: the registration fee was 268 euro, and the tuition fee is 1500 per year. Plus living expenses, which are something like 500-600 per month for bills, rent, course materials, transport and food. So, effectively, I'm almost saving money compared to studying up in Dublin (I was anticipating that they'd bring back in college fees...in which case it would have made even more sense)

I don't qualify for a maintenance grant, because of my parents earnings. It was hard to talk to the banks about loans, especially as I was planning all this right around the time capitalism crashed earlier this year :pac: but I had been working in a call centre for a year after the leaving cert, and I had enough money saved up to cover my first year here. Hopefully I'l be able to get a grant or funding for my second year, otherwise I'll have to turn to the bank of Mum and Dad, something that doesn't fill my heart with glee...

Hope this helps in some way

are you studying in italian though?? id be really interested in studying abroad but the language has got to be a factor??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Loads of places in continental Europe offer whole courses in English for cheap costs. These would be your best bet if money is an issue as non-EU Anglophone countries tend to have punitive tuition fees for international students.

KU Leuven for example (where I'm currently studying) offers undergrads and masters in English for much cheaper than Irish registration fees (€560 per year) and the cost of living is also significantly cheaper than Ireland.

AFAIK, low-fee English undergrads are available in a variety of continental universites like Leiden (Netherlands) to Uppsala (Sweden)

Places like France are trickier as they don't have the same variety of courses in English.

WHat do you plan on studying? MIght be able to give afew words of advice.

Advertisement