Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat Leon 2002/2003

• 14-11-2009 4:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys thinking of buying one of these, 1.4 as my commute is small enough. Honest John gives it 5 out of 5. Anything i should look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

My folks have a 02 1.4. Sound enough car. The only problem it's had has been with ignition coils, started after about 60k, I think all have been changed out at this point, at about 80k now. Good mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Had '01 1.6 version for a few years.

A good drive and comfortable for the long distances i was doing.

Mechanically pretty sound. Only major problem was the car not starting or cutting out on the road. Was found to be a problem with the fuel pump. Went grand after that.

Electrically, a bit more iffy. Engine management warning light coming on at various intervals for no apparent reason. Hooked up a computer to it when it would happen but it would show no problems. The brake pedal sensor also started acting up...i'd press the brakes, the brakes would do their job but the lights would not come on...came too close to being rear ended a few times. The sensor had to be replaced 3times in 2months!!!

The main problem i had was leaky doors! Any time it rained i would be greeted with puddles front and back in the car. Again, took it to a few mechanics but none could come up a solution.

I couldn't say avoid the car at all costs but i would advise going over it with a fine tooth comb before parting with any of your cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

The main problem i had was leaky doors! Any time it rained i would be greeted with puddles front and back in the car. Again, took it to a few mechanics but none could come up a solution.

Oh yeah, I forgot that, same problem with theirs, drivers door only. Some membrane or plate inside the door wasn't sticking like it should or used to, causing water (I think from around the door seals) to be directed into the car instead out out onto the door sills and off the car. It was solved by resticking the membrane or plate with silicone.

DIY job, and well documented on Leon forums.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

polyfusion wrote: »
    My folks have a 02 1.4. Sound enough car. The only problem it's had has been with ignition coils, started after about 60k, I think all have been changed out at this point, at about 80k now. Good mpg.

I had the same car and identical problem, must be a common issue. I also had the lambda sensor go. Neither were overly expensive to fix. The door seal issue was not as big a problem for me as others, but yes, occasionally a small bit damp in the back.

Good car all in all and I would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mostly you'll get problems similar to the golf or a3. I'd avoid the 1.4. its a problematic engine and well documented here. 1.6 is a better bet. Make sure its changing gears cleanly and not making any dodgy noises too. Gearboxes can be weak on them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thanks for the advice lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I have a 2000 1.4 which I am just about to get rid of as the gearbox is on the way out. Electrics are playing up as well. Aside from that I have got my moneys worth out of it with no significant problems. Wouldn't bother ever trying to overtake anyone on the motorway though.......

Advertisement