Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny to Introduce Own Currency??

Options
  • 14-11-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Heard snippets on RTE Radio 1 and Beat FM about Kilkenny introducing it's own currency; I presume it's something vouchers that can be spent locally in participating business? I didn't quite get the jist of it all tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Seems to be a glorified gift voucher, but wouldn't knock em for trying it (not that OP is knocking it!)

Currency unsurprisingly called a CAT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yes, I heard this on an answer to a quiz yesterday on Today FM. Googled and came to a dead end.

One town where I lived, Montreux in Switzerland did this during their annual music festival so the town/organisers got their cut of the profits, the stalls couldn't declare they'd taken in a lot less than they could as the "Jazz Francs" were worthless outside of the town. Don't know what they're up to here though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I actually think this is a stroke of genius- at Christmas/Birthdays etc, it would ensure that local people could support their local community by giving these vouchers that would have to be spent locally- I totally support it and hope it's successful- it's how the likes of liffey valley and other shopping centers gain valued additional income so why not extend that concept to a whole town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I remember hearing a guy from Lewes in the UK talking about the same idea ages ago http://www.thelewespound.org/ As far as I know, you trade in some of your ordinary currency for the local notes and use them to pay for local goods and services.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Will they be easy to copy? :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It is happening in a few parts of the UK. It was recently in the news that Brixton are doing it too.

I couldn't be bothered with it myself. Seems like more of a nuisance than anything. I'll stick with once currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Looks like a glorified gift voucher scheme to me.
    Why would you want to voluntarily trade your money for gift vouchers for yourself.

The expire, and are hard to spend apart from where they are for. You probably only get more vouchers for change when you buy anything with them.
    A complete waste of time imo. If you want me to use them make the value the same as the Euro and give me 11 of them for each 10 Euro i trade. Then it might be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

One advantage of gift vouchers is that an employer can give them as a Christmas bonus and the recipient is not liable for tax, as they would be with a cash bonus.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like a gimmick but its a great way of promoting the city,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Woman: Would you like to buy some Itchy and Scratchy Money?

Homer: What's that?

Woman: Well it's money that's made just for the park. It works just like regular money, but it's, er..."fun".

Bart: Do it, Dad.

Homer: Well, OK, if it's fun...let's see, uh...I'll take $1100 worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    One advantage of gift vouchers is that an employer can give them as a Christmas bonus and the recipient is not liable for tax, as they would be with a cash bonus.

Are you sure? I thought they were supposed to be taxed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kahless wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought they were supposed to be taxed.

Having got gift vouchers numerous times in work I can assure you they are taxed

Cabaal wrote: »
    Having got gift vouchers numerous times in work I can assure you they are taxed

As of a few years ago, they are supposed to be taxed. You should report your employer for this.

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    As of a few years ago, they are supposed to be taxed. You should report your employer for this.

I just said they are taxed, so why would I report my employer for taxing something thats supposed to be taxed? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

ztoical wrote: »
    Woman: Would you like to buy some Itchy and Scratchy Money?

Homer: What's that?

Woman: Well it's money that's made just for the park. It works just like regular money, but it's, er..."fun".

Bart: Do it, Dad.

Homer: Well, OK, if it's fun...let's see, uh...I'll take $1100 worth.

6a00d83452033569e20120a545f6cd970c-pi

Cabaal wrote: »
    I just said they are taxed, so why would I report my employer for taxing something thats supposed to be taxed? :pac:

Oops - i didnt read it properly. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Apologies also. This is what i was "reliably" informed.

If I ever manage to get a bonus, I can assure you that all taxes and charges will be tendered forthwith.

Um, anyway, is there going to be a design competition for the cat, one wonders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Its not a gift voucher system.

You will be able to buy ''cats'' for 95c each and spend them as a euro in shops all over kilkenny.

The idea is that people will keep money in the local economy, and a certain amount will be bought as souvenirs and kept, allowing the council to profit from it.
    Shops will participate as they will get more customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

they could use all ireland medals as currency in kilkenny:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 purplestain

Well according to the link posted about the CAT currency a 1 euro note costs 95 cents but will be treated as a euro by proprietors in order to guarantee people a 5% discount, so I'm wondering, any chance I can buy a new car with this CAT currency :D

Advertisement