Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Paranormal Society

Options
  • 14-11-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I'm in the process of setting up a Paranormal society in my university. I was wondering, does anyone have any ideas on events we could do, or any guest speakers that would be interested?

Any suggestions will be hugely appreciated. I have ideas of my own, but nothing compares to an informed public opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

PM sent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

What university are you in? If it is UCD I will most certainly be able to help you. Firstly however your going to need a few hundred signatures to get it before the societies council in any of the universities in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

It's DCU. We don't need hundreds, the actual requirement is 20. I'm working on getting 40 though, just to show the interest. We have a sci-fi society already, the main issue seems to be showing that we aren't the same as them. Though we obviously will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well myself, Grimes above and a few others (one a DCU alumni) orgaise the Dublin Paranormal Convention so if we can help at all just let us know. Getting speakers aint too hard depending on what you want but look at producing a podcast where you can get people on the phone. Events wise theres plenty to do from experiments to trips to locations with reputations for being haunted.

As for Paranormal and Sci-Fi being the same ...... I'll try to ignore that :pac:

Well if I were doing a parasoc personally id have a series of paranormal speakers in to deal with all topics of the paranormal, i'd show movies, two or three investigations with an established group (may I recommend the PIGS I hear they are good), a paranormal ball of some sort, a paranormal table quiz but make sure you have a decent committee and a committee to hand over at the end of the year or else you are boned.

I ran a couple of societies in UCD and the finance issue was the hardest, hence the table quiz fundraisers. Luckily I ran y society at a massive profit. Im just that good. :D

• Advertisement

I'm already running a society, so I have that experience. I won't be getting snowed under by work, basically. I was considering a table quiz myself. We'll be a fairly cheap society, as far as I can tell though. So finance shouldn't be a massive problem either.

Ha, I know they aren't the same. As did Sci-Fi's chair. It's getting those who aren't involved in either to realise the difference that's the problem.

The issue with screenings is that we have to remain firmly in supposed fact. So something like, for example, 'The X-Files' would be considered sci-fi and therefore not our area, while 'Beyond Belief' or something like that would probably be ok. It's a fine line. Luckily, I have the support of the Sci-fi chairperson, so that's all well and good, and we could probably do joint events.

I was considering trips, but being set up in the middle of the semester has drawbacks. We can't apply for a lot of money at this time. So trips would be very local, and cost low. I was considering something like the Ghost Bus to get people interested, moving on to experiments such as basic Kirlian photography or psychic workshops. Any other ideas, much appreciated.

6th, would it be ok if I mentioned the support of the Paranormal convention when I apply to have ParaSoc made official? I think that'd help us out.

Well I'd have to talk to the rest of the team about mentioning our support.

That said on a personal level I'd be more than happy to help out in any way I can. I'd love to see a decent PAraSoc in every college in the country.

With regards to The X-Files etc I think they are very relevant to the area. Paranormal PopCulture is an area of massive interest to me, discussing elements of fiction and how they mirror real experiences and phenomenon.

I can think of a few speakers straight off who'd be interested is speaking. I had a taste of it a couple of weeks back in UCD and its something I'd be interested in trying out again.

I'll talk to the guys about stuff so drop me a mail and I'll get back to you.

Whats your timeline for this? i.e Deadline?

I'd like to submit the petition and constitution by Wednesday. It'd be great if we were set up as soon as possible. That said, there's no real rush, that's just my excitement to get this off the ground talking.

If this goes ahead, we would be looking to do as much as possible. So pretty much everything we can do, we will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I was going to once consider setting up a paranormal society at my university, but unfortunately, I'm no longer studying there, so I cannot do this. However, I do wish you luck with your society :)

My society spent a weekend in Ross Castle and it was very cheap. Dirty and cold, but cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Grimes wrote: »
    My society spent a weekend in Ross Castle and it was very cheap. Dirty and cold, but cheap.
    Its much cleaner now!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

what happens after you leave college do you continue researching if you need anything im sure we can all help here

Ziycon wrote: »
    Its much cleaner now!;)

I still have scars from the fleas in the beds. Next time Im going down Im staying in a tent

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    what happens after you leave college do you continue researching if you need anything im sure we can all help here

Well, this has interested me for years, so obviously I'll keep it on. I just wrote up the society constitution last night, and made sure to keep a 'graduate membership' aspect to it.

I ressurect this to announce that the DCU ParaSoc is officially go! So anyone who wants to run workshops, give talks or whatever just PM me.

Thanks to everyone who gave their support, it really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

any help dont be afraid to ask

Congrats!

Dropped you a Pm, will do what I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Traze

Well done Urizen,
    If The Paranormal Research Association Of Ireland can be of any help for you just drop us a pm.
    :)

Congrats Urizen, best of luck with it.

Well, I'm in the middle of trying to find sponsorship atm. Doing the usual thing there, we put the organisation's name on all our posters and our e-mails in exchange for something else (concessions, prizes for competitions, etc.)

Our website is being built now, I'll be posting a link when it's complete. It'll give a rundown of what we hope to achieve, what events we'll be running and the like.

Also, just a thought. Are we the first Paranormal Society in an Irrish University? It was mentioned to me there today, wanted to verify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Iv no idea, however you can rule ITT off the list...as Im sure they have never had one.

Ruth KPS wrote: »
    Iv no idea, however you can rule ITT off the list...as Im sure they have never had one.
    Nope they never have!

Ucd does not have one

Grimes wrote: »
    Ucd does not have one

But didnt we take them on an investigation before?

6th wrote: »
    But didnt we take them on an investigation before?

Did we? When was this...

Wicklow Gaol ... when we recruited the big guy?

My only real interest is whether or not we can advertise that when we're recruiting, it's be nice to be groundbreaking.

Man, I love resurrecting this thread!

Anyone want to offer expertise for some kind of talk on paranormal subjects? Whether it's debunking hoaxes, signs of hauntings or whatever, I'd love to bring someone in with experience.

PM me if you're interested. Hopefully you will be...

Revived yet again to say that we now have 48 fully paid, active members and are looking to do stuff. PM me!

• Advertisement

Urizen we are good to go

Advertisement