Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling power saving apps

Options
  • 14-11-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question I know but I'm a little confused about whats causing my i5 750 to clock back. I cant figure out if its some feature of my motherboard, windows 7 or the actual CPU? The multiplier should be 20 I think?

CPUZ14-11.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that's part of the Turbo mode feature of the processor isn't it? my i7 does the same. I think it can be disable in the BIOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

It is Speedstep (also called EIST).

Don't worry, it's a way to reduce power use. Once load is applied to the Processor, the CPU multiplyer hops back up to 20 (or 21,22,23 if you have turbo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It does however effect overclocks badly as the system will be horribly unstable. So remember to switch it off if you plan on a overlcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Okey doke fair enough then, supposed I'll just leave it as is then.

Anti wrote: »
    It does however effect overclocks badly as the system will be horribly unstable. So remember to switch it off if you plan on a overlcock.

I've turned it back on once I have gotten my overclock stable and not had any issues with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    I've turned it back on once I have gotten my overclock stable and not had any issues with it.

You will tho, Its been shown to mess with the OC, It makes it unstable.

Its best to turn it off, But leave turbo/MT on if you want

Blazher wrote: »
    You will tho, Its been shown to mess with the OC, It makes it unstable.

Its best to turn it off, But leave turbo/MT on if you want

Lolwhut? Leave Turbo on? Are you insane? Turbo is OFF. My i5 is stable at 200*20, not at 200*21-23. Turbo = Failsauce on OC'd Chips. All C1E and Speedstep do is Lower the Heat Gen/Power Draw when the chip is idle.

Yes, turn EIST and C1E off when you are finding out how far you can OC your chip, but once you have that found, turn them back on. It will lower the Power Draw and heat and extend the life of your chip. And especially as (apparently) OC'd 1156 LGA chips are assploding when at high voltages, you wanna keep the Voltage as low as possible when possible :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

HIHI

Just killed 2 750's a 860 and a 870(I'm so glad my boss actually likes me) on lotes sockets on very low voltage(0.5 above stock), not sure if i made a balls, or what. But ive been clocking the bejasus out of chips since jiuhb 1800+ (Thats AMD 1800+ at 3.6ghz)

Not good news :(

From what i can see tonight playing with some 1156, they dont like voltage at all :(

Anti wrote: »
    HIHI

Just killed 2 750's a 860 and a 870(I'm so glad my boss actually likes me) on lotes sockets on very low voltage(0.5 above stock), not sure if i made a balls, or what. But ive been clocking the bejasus out of chips since jiuhb 1800+ (Thats AMD 1800+ at 3.6ghz)

Not good news :(

From what i can see tonight playing with some 1156, they dont like voltage at all :(

What the fork? 0.5 above Stock? What Clock were you running it with and was this Dice or LN2 work?

Still, Glad to hear LOTES are exploding :P But it really seems hit and miss. I am running a i5 750 at 4GHz (on a Foxconn Socket) with absolutely no problems. You just have to make sure the CPU is getting enough contact.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm starting to wonder if the choice of cooler is having an effect; depending on retention mechanism they can apply additional pressure on the CPU IHS and force some better contact out of it...

And I hope you meant 0.05 there, Anti... hmmm.gif

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if the choice of cooler is having an effect; depending on retention mechanism they can apply additional pressure on the CPU IHS and force some better contact out of it...
    That Might actually be it ya know. I'm a bit naughty, I'm not using the propper mechanism ya see. I am using a 775 Mount bolted on with Nylon Bolts (because The backplate was impossible to find, then I found it, then they sent me the wrong one :mad: ) and I am using a 1KG heatsink :cool:
    And I hope you meant 0.05 there, Anti... hmmm.gif
    Lol for some reason I read 0.5 as 0.05 too. Running a LGA1156 CPU at 1.7v is gonna fry it no matter what board you use ffs! :pac::pac::pac: Start overclocking normally you crazy person!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Lolwhut? Leave Turbo on? Are you insane? Turbo is OFF. My i5 is stable at 200*20, not at 200*21-23. Turbo = Failsauce on OC'd Chips. All C1E and Speedstep do is Lower the Heat Gen/Power Draw when the chip is idle.

Yes, turn EIST and C1E off when you are finding out how far you can OC your chip, but once you have that found, turn them back on. It will lower the Power Draw and heat and extend the life of your chip. And especially as (apparently) OC'd 1156 LGA chips are assploding when at high voltages, you wanna keep the Voltage as low as possible when possible :P
    I agree and this is what i do on my i7 and never have stability issues with them on.

Also OP why is your vcore so fecking high?
    1.536v its showing when throttled back so when multi hits 20/21 its goning to be 1.6v+ which is bye bye cpu type of volts!!

I turned off EIST for a while to do some benchmarking and the VCORE is still around 1.53v. I haven't been adjusting voltages at all so I've no idea what going on?

I turned off EIST for a while to do some benchmarking and the VCORE is still around 1.53v. I haven't been adjusting voltages at all so I've no idea what going on?

What is your voltage set to in the Bios? If it is Auto, take it off auto! Also What Mobo do you have? Make sure you have the latest BIOS too. My i5 at stock goes no higher than ~1.25v. OC'd to 4GHz it doesn't even reach 1.4

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I turned off EIST for a while to do some benchmarking and the VCORE is still around 1.53v

:eek:

Failsauce!! lol.gif

Solitaire wrote: »
    :eek:

Failsauce!! lol.gif

Failsauce indeed :D
    I've manually set my vcore to ~1.25v so all is well, for now....

Advertisement