Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faster boot times

Options
  • 14-11-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

have upgraded pc and was wondering how can i get faster boot up times.
    am using an ssd drive for operating system with hitachi ultra star for backups etc. op is vista ultimate 64bit

any thoughts or recommendations welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

noodletop wrote: »
    have upgraded pc and was wondering how can i get faster boot up times.
    am using an ssd drive for operating system with hitachi ultra star for backups etc. op is vista ultimate 64bit

any thoughts or recommendations welcome

If you are already using an SSD for the OS, there is not much else you can do except disable programs that begin at startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Disable all programs you dont need on startup and look up BlackVipers guide on W7 optimazation

Disable programs by :

Start -> Run -> msconfig

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

the ssd is deff faster on boot up you notice it when welcome screen comes on it instantly pops up your desktop no pauses or stupid circle on screen to annoy you for a while:P

tbh im not too sure on the best way to disable apps on bootup, i've built loads of machines thats just a part i never got arround to looking at. anyone know where there might be a site called speed up your boot times for dummies??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

noodletop wrote: »
    the ssd is deff faster on boot up you notice it when welcome screen comes on it instantly pops up your desktop no pauses or stupid circle on screen to annoy you for a while:P

tbh im not too sure on the best way to disable apps on bootup, i've built loads of machines thats just a part i never got arround to looking at. anyone know where there might be a site called speed up your boot times for dummies??:rolleyes:

Read my post again lol...here the link for you anyway

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Read my post again lol...here the link for you anyway

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

i did its like double dutch to a china man for me i'll give it a shot and if im not back to post in an hour it means i threw pc out window :D thanks again deano

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

install Ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

It has a very nice startup configuration tool which allows you to temporarily disable startup entries.

It also has a nice & safe reg-cleaner tool.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    install Ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

It has a very nice startup configuration tool which allows you to temporarily disable startup entries.

It also has a nice & safe reg-cleaner tool.

thanks for the advise guys went with deanos suggestion now have boot time down to approx10 sec from 1st press of power switch till desktop on so im happy enough with that mind you i nearly made a complete mess of it. had to keep going back and restarting some programmes till i got it the way i wanted it.
    again thanks for the replys and help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Or, install Glary Utilities, click on Optimize & Improve, then by using the Startup Manager module you can easily see all the programs that start on startup, and then go about disabling what's not needed. Great suite of free software, I highly recommend it.

Advertisement