Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of timing belt + water pump for Golf?

• 14-11-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

So Mrs golfpaul was driving home through the floods last night and car started to overheat. Got it into garage this morning and apparently its the water pump gone. So just wondering does anyone know approx price for replacing the water pump (and timing belt etc as it will have to be stripped to get to pump).
    Car is Golf Mark V. Quote is €800
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭golfpaul

Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What engine? I have a Leon mk2 which would be the same as a mk5 golf. I got a timing belt, water pump and tensioners done and a minor service at a main dealers for just over 500. Worth looking at skoda and seat dealers. same cars but labour rates tend to be lower. An indy should do it cheaper again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Shop around, there's deals to be had at VAG dealers at the mo. My local VW dealer Maxwells in Athy are advertising timing belt changes (including the water belt) from €480. Another one I know of is Phoenix Motors in Dublin a Skoda dealer the're doing a similar deal.
    Bound to be a VAG dealer west of the Shannon offering something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

To be honest I find irish prices extremally expensive on such things as timing belt or clutch.

I needed to change timing belt in my 01 Bravo.
    The garage quoted me 150 for parts (belt + tensioner) + 350 for labour, which is 500.

Finally, I got belt + tensioner bought by my dad in Poland and posted here (all costed 45 euro + 15 euro postage = 60euro).
    I downloaded manual from the internet, spend maybe 3 hours and chenged it myself.

Just to let you know - I'm not an mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 terry0

Any developements golfpaul ?? I'm interested because I have to have a similar job done soon. Guess I want you to do the work for me :D. Met a mechanic "friend" who works in Western Motors and he told me they were doing "deals" , whatever that means :confused:. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭golfpaul

Getting it done for €600 including a service and a replacement thermostat. I still think its a bit expensive but what can you do. I can't drive the car far as it will overheat and it would cost more to tow.

Advertisement