Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the rails makeovers

• 14-11-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know what everyone thinks of the current series. I like Sonya as a presenter, her own style is quite funky. However, I think some of the makeover ladies look so much older after the 'reveal'. This week's candidate was a mother of the bride http://www.rte.ie/tv/offtherails/2009/1111/makeover.html
    I thought she looked very well in most of the outfits they chose for her but the wedding outfit was far too old. Just because someone is in their 50s does not mean they have to wear flowery 2 piece ensembles. I've noticed it in other episodes as well. Is it just me ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

She looks like the Hulk in that black outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, that black outfit is terrible on her. And the scarf over the shoulder - I hate that.

I do think the reds really suit her complexion though. Nicest out of the looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I agree with you about that makeover, I thought they did a very poor job on her. They kept putting her in very high round neck dresses and they made her look huge on top, very matronly.

I do like Sonya as a presenter and I love her style. I think they normally do a great job on the makeovers, but last weeks was the poorest so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

phasers wrote: »
    She looks like the Hulk in that black outfit.

She really really does... Good God like.

Any of the Off the Rails makeovers I've seen (I only rarely come across it) haven't been amazing. I find they kinda just shove people into clothes that don't really do much for them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

I think the makeovers are too "ordinary". When you have a makeover it should be WOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I'd actually considered starting a thread on this, so I'm glad you've done so.

By and large, I don't think the makeovers on OTR are very good at all. Unfortunately, in some cases, the outfits chosen can be less than flattering. I remember in one makeover, they put a mid-thigh length dress with a tapered skirt on a pear-shaped girl, which made her look much heavier than she actually was, especially as these are 2 things which most pear-shaped people really shouldn't wear. Likewise, as mentioned above, the black dress really doesn't do anything to flatter the lady in the picture. It makes her look much heavier than she actually is, especially as it's high-necked and too short.

I know that sometimes finding clothes to suit people both colourwise and shapewise isn't always the easiest, but seriously, what they're putting people in isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

I remember the girl with the tapered skirt too- so wrong. I just think that getting older does not mean that you have to wear big flowery outfits. I'm 49 and I know it is difficult to get the balance right. You don't want to be mutton dressed as lamb nor do you want to look frumpy. Sonya picked a wedding outfit for that lady that Hyacinth Bouquet would wear. There are some really nice labels out there that us older ladies can still wear.

Advertisement