Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Vouchers this Christmas to Support Local Economy?

Options
  • 14-11-2009 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just thought it might be a good idea, especially if your extended family/friends are living in small local communities, to seek out retailers who provide vouchers, and give these as presents this Christmas i.e. beauty salons, hotels, butchers, craft shops etc etc
    Even a small % of your presents as vouchers might help local businesses. What do you think?

Comments

Cicero wrote: »
    What do you think?

I think actual money is a much better gift. That way the recipient can spend it how he or she likes.

That's just my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Kilkenny are considering this, probably not until next year though.

Link

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I hate vounchers :(. While they might be good idea in principle, being locked in to getting a certain service or if you buy lets say €20 worth out of one of those €100 one for all vouchers, you will then be stuck to that shop as you are only refunded in vouchers, if I get vouchers I generally pass them on to my parents (as I will probably never use them otherwise or forget about them), and they re-imberse me when they spent it, not to mention most only last for a year.. or less in some cases

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I hate vouchers too - for more than one reason. I invariably forget to use them before the closing date - some of which can give you as little as a month from issue. As others said too, I hate being tied to using a particular shop or service, whether I like it or not.
    Also, I know quite a few people who lost out on vouchers this year when the companies went to the wall before they could claim. Much too unsafe in the current climate for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I wouldn't buy vouchers in the current climate, the risk of the company going out of business my my gift receipient being on the end of a list of unsecured creditors is too high. Buy a tangible product they can return/exchange if they like, or just give cash.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

snappieT wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy vouchers in the current climate, the risk of the company going out of business my my gift receipient being on the end of a list of unsecured creditors is too high. Buy a tangible product they can return/exchange if they like, or just give cash.

This happened my Mum last Christmas, she bought a €50 Zavvi voucher for myself and my two sisters to put in our stockings, and of course, Zavvi went under and our vouchers were useless. We sent them in to the liquidator, but have heard nothing back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A ticket to Newry would be much sought after.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Toots* wrote: »
    This happened my Mum last Christmas, she bought a €50 Zavvi voucher for myself and my two sisters to put in our stockings, and of course, Zavvi went under and our vouchers were useless. We sent them in to the liquidator, but have heard nothing back yet.
    Woz thinkin more about local businesses rather than well known 'high st' retail chains- take ure point though..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Local businesses are even more likely to close down and if a small business like that shuts down your voucher is completely and utterly worthless, you will not get any of it back.

Most shops that are struggling aim to survive past to christmas and close during January so I would be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Local businesses are even more likely to close down and if a small business like that shuts down your voucher is completely and utterly worthless, you will not get any of it back.

Most shops that are struggling aim to survive past to christmas and close during January so I would be wary.
    +1, fully agree, business will be closing in January and your voucher is no good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rory1981

Hi All,

I just came across a new website called www.utilize.ie which I think is an excellent gift idea. I have spoke with this company and they hope to sell live next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

rory1981, why the 'z' in the company name? This is Ireland, not the states and the word is 'utilise'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

When I buy vouchers for someone I usually buy the "One4All" vouchers because there is a large variety of palces to use them.

Afaik, some shops in the Dublin Airport duty free section now accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Retailers LOVE vouchers because they're guaranteed that quite a few people won't use them which means pure cash profit!

The one4all vouchers are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Isn't there some Dublin City gift card now that works like a One4all card/visa card in retail outlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

rory1981 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I just came across a new website called www.utilize.ie which I think is an excellent gift idea. I have spoke with this company and they hope to sell live next week.

Nov 2009 reg and first post about a brand new voucher company! Fcuk off with yourself ya conman.

Vouchers suck ass and most people hate getting them. If your not gonna bother spending the time to think up a gift for someone at least give them cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am surprised at this thread after the millions of threads "post zavvi"
    -Orlaith- wrote: »
    When I buy vouchers for someone I usually buy the "One4All" vouchers because there is a large variety of palces to use them.
    Cash can be used in an even wider variety of places. I know some do not like to give cash but the one4all will not help small businesses like the OP is suggesting. One4all get the cash, I think if you use the voucher in a shop they have to pay a % to one4all, so in fact are losing (if you would have otherwise have bought with cash).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

rory1981 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Rory,
    Please tell us why a gift card which is only accepted in 2 stores in 6 counties, is an 'excellent' gift idea?

This card also expires in 12 mts, and the consumer will lose any unspent balance?

Excellent for who? You perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cicero wrote: »
    Even a small % of your presents as vouchers might help local businesses. What do you think?
    It'll help the local businesses, alright, but the question is: will they be still around when you want to sell your stuff?

Advertisement