Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats wont let us near them

Options
  • 14-11-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Myself and my partner have been feeding 3 feral kittens for the past 4 months. They are semi-feral really. They are around our house all the time and we have even built them a little cat house outside the door so they have somewhere warm to stay. Our house is their base and they come to our door for feeding time every morning and evening. Lately one of them has started to come into the house and sleep in a little cat bed we got her and she will happily stay in with us for the evening until she leaves when we go to bed.
    But, i cant get anywhere near them to pet them, they still run a mile even though they are comfortable to be in the house with us around.......what else can we do, we give them food and shelter and warmth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some cats take a long time to come around, some will stay flighty.
    When spending time with the cats, if possible sit down and just relax and have some food handy and let them come to you. Avoid sudden movements.
    However you might be able to win them over with play as well, using those fishing rod type toys for cats or the like playing at a distance. Young cats like that sometimes can't resist playing and running string or a toy like that along the ground is very tempting. Eventually when they get really into playing then gradaully move the toy nearer to you so they have to eventually climb on you to get to it so they associate play with you don't pet them or anything just let them crawl and play on and around you and eventually they will use their heads to rub against your legs and hands inviting you to pet them.

Although it would be a good idea if possible to borrow some humane traps and have them spayed/neutered and vaccinated before they hit 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

i find as well sitting quitely with some tasty food like bits of chicken helps, just drop little bits at first and when they realise the food is nice and tasty try holding ur hand out flat with the treat on it. Dont force them when they start trusting they will start usually taking it of your hand. also do this before they get fed so they are hungry. Some ferals will never come around fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

It takes time and patience. Let them build up trust and eventually they will come to you for affection. Just be prepared for them to run when someone they are not used to comes to visit.

Advertisement